Ladies, how heavy are you lifting?

Options
13»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My lifts are all pretty light.... I also haven't lifted in probably 3 weeks now :'( My gym membership expired and I just got a new one a few days ago... going for the first time tomorrow morning. YAY!!!! So now that I've taken this time off, my lifts are going to be pretty bad, I know it. I do the msot I can lift for 5 reps. But some people do higher rep ranges, like 8-12. Just whatever you feel is best.

I also only started lifting at the end of may/beginning of June, so I never got very heavy anyway.
    Squats: 105
    Bench: 55
    Overhead press: 40 lol
    Bent over rows: 60
    Deadlifts: 105

You are exactly where I am weight wise! Except, I seem to be stuck on my squats. Last week I did three sets of 12 at 55lbs. That's a little sad to me, considering I did the same weight for standing calf raises! I work out at work, and we only have a smith machine. I think that its preventing me from going up in weight as it doesn't feel right with my body (I know - avoid the smith). But when you don't have anything else, and no spotters...

I did try placing the oly bar on the dip stand, load it with weights, then walk under it, but that's probably a worse idea than just using the smith. I might try switching to goblet squats for now.

Hmmmmmm that's tough. I would not get a gym membership at a gym that did not have squat racks. Lol. But it's at your work so that sucks... I just went to look at this gym and I was standing there looking at the whole weight section and I asked the lady that was showing me around if there were any squat racks because I didn't see any and she didn't even know what those were.... :noway: Seriously lady? You work at a gym trying to sell people memberships and you don't even know what a squat rack is? Then she started showing me the leg press machine and talking about how that's basically a squat and it's a really good exercise and yadda yadda. lol.
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    ***googling Jim Wendler's 5/3/1....

Compound lifts for the win & Sugarpie07, I bow before your lifting prowess. I can only hope to achieve those numbers, as I am a non-competitive powerlifter. Moar Powah!!!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Bump - I'm still struggling with a basic squat without weights so maybe one day I can build up toward you ladies! :glasses:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Squats: 125
    Bench: 50
    O/H press: 45
    Deadlift: 150
    Bent-over rows: 75

I deloaded on bench and o/h because I stalled out on them and plan to go back up. Highest for rows was 90 lbs, but I started having wrist pain from work, and again, deloaded. Heavy lifting since June. Did the 5-10 lb dumbbell thing for like 6 months prior.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Don't compare your self to other lifters - we are all different. Lift as heavy as you can ensuring your last few reps are a struggle - they are the ones that count. Keep notes on what you lifted previously and better them next time. Even if you have to go down on your next set - make sure you finish your set - keep improving. Good luck!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    we only have a smith machine.

We changed gyms because of this. Anyone with out a squat rack/power cage check into this the next time you're shopping for a gym.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

So glad you're up for a challenge!!

My best competition numbers (with competition equipment) are

Squat - 573
    Bench Press - 407
    Deadlift - 507

My best raw lifts are

Squat - 405
    Bench Press - 255
    Deadlift - 440

Each was probably done at a different body weight, but those are my best overall to date :)

That is awesome! I've been getting a little annoyed recently because I've been stalling with squat and deadlift (newb increases are amazing, but its really slowing now). I keep having to remind myself that I've only been doing this for 13 weeks, and that in a years time, I could be doing so much more. What inspiring numbers!

Out of curiosity, what did you do nutritionally to boost? I've been wondering whether to eat more and whether this will increase my ability, but I'm not sure?
  • kezza_2009
    Options
    Wow very inspiring ladies...good to see lots of chicks into the heavier weights! Im from Aus and I think there is only one other chick at gym that uses the squat rack with me..bloody smith machines...and I have never seen another chick do a deadlift over 20kg...maybe I need a new gym.....although I have to say I like showing up the fellas ;)

Deadlift 80kg (176lb)
    Squat 70kg (154lb)

Im not really into bench as I'm getting good results from these 2 compound moves..

I really want to go heavier in squats but my form is a bit poor at the moment as Ive had too many different people tell me how I should and shouldnt do squats (don't go deep, wider stance, etc) I think I might drop it back until Im comfortable again....

Stay Strong! x
  • matt_h76
    Options
    To make the point a am 6'4" weigh 233 and most of the women posting here lift the same or more than me, But I'm working on it:blushing:

I'm glad another guy said exactly what I was about to say ;). The weights I lift are embarassingly low compared to some of the ladies here. But I too am working on it :)
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For some reason every woman thinks they will turn into Arnold if they pick up anything more than a 5 lbs dumbbell.

Hhhhmm, based on the responses to this post, I'd say that is fairly inaccurate:ohwell:.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I have a question. Do I up the weights even if I am struggling to finish my sets?

For example:
    Yesterday I was doing 85 lbs squats. I do 5 sets of 5 reps. The first 2 sets was fine. I started struggling with the 5th one of the 3rd set, and was not able to go as deep. The 4th and 5th sets were, again, not as deep as first 2 sets, and I was really struggling with the 4th and 5th reps. Should I wait until I can do all 5 sets comfortably? or up the weights and go for less sets/reps?

Thanks in advance for your advices and guidance.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I would personally see the sets out until you're consistently lifting at that weight, if you up too quick you're not going to build a solid form. I've just dropped from 5 to 3 sets on squat, but I'm squatting 154lbs now, and 5 sets is leaving nothing in the tank for deadlifts.
  • GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    One of my mantras is "Focus On Form." Doing it right is best. I also like to do drop-sets: Go heavier til you can't, drop it, pick up a lighter weight that still challenges but lets you finish with great form.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I am on 15 lb. dumbbells, but much higher on the machines. Sometimes I feel more comfortable doing heavy weights on the machines because they allow me to keep proper form. But, I also know that dumbbells are excellent for natural movement, so, I try to work out with those at least once per week.

Before it gets hammered home a million times in this thread -

Machines aren't teaching you anything resembling "proper form." Don't get me wrong, they have value, but for a beginner, they don't have much and will eventually make you MORE injury prone in the long run. The reason why is long and easily googled, but the short of it is what you said: "natural movement."

When you perform any sort of strength move with your body - not for exercise - but something you'd actually do: moving a box, rearranging furniture, etc - you are using a LOT of different muscles. Haven't you ever moved houses/apartments and wondered why your whole body was sore afterwards? Machines are isolation exercises, so they are designed to do just that: isolate a particular muscle. This means that all the other muscles which are needed to support a particular motion are not getting worked out like they should.

Please please please - and this includes you OP, read up on some beginner lifting guides. The rules are basically the same for men and women. Some things to google: "starting strength" and "new rules of lifting for women."

Yes, you can workout with 15lb dumbbells, yes you can work out with machines and yes, you will eventually see results doing it. But you will see much faster results and be safer and stronger if you are doing heavy, compound lifts.

Edit:
    I've been lifting again since mid last november. My squat is up to 185lbs for 2 reps, deadlift is 175 for 5, and chest press is 95 for 2.

This. This right here. Do this. Like...a LOT.

Bump ^^^^ Save for later reading