What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOOOOODDDD there have been so many threads on this EXACT TOPIC! please search for them before starting yet another thread on what counts as water. BTW WATER is the only thing that counts as WATER. everything else is not WATER, or it would be called water. But it's not.

lol obviously you didn't read those other threads

Actually, I have read the other threads. I'm just saying that if other drinks besides plain water were to be counted as water they would have put the word "liquids" instead of water. Grab a dictionary, there's a difference between the two.

A can of soda is 11.4oz of water. Why not track it?

If you eat three skittles, then drink 11.4oz of water, what's the difference?
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water.
  • rebelandduke
    Options
    Sadly only water. You can add Mio to your water... but water intake is strictly water intake. I know you figure like Iced Tea is mostly water but it's the additives in it that no longer make it as "nutritious" or valuable as straight water. That's why sodas don't count... even though they are mostly water too... it's all the stuff in WITH the water that makes it bad.
    So yeah, 8 glasses of pure water is what you are supposed to have... I'm still struggling with that. ;-)
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Iced tea, Crystal Light, coffee, ect I count as drinks. They are above my 8-10 cups of water.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    H2O
  • wellbert
    Options
    Sadly only water. You can add Mio to your water... but water intake is strictly water intake. I know you figure like Iced Tea is mostly water but it's the additives in it that no longer make it as "nutritious" or valuable as straight water. That's why sodas don't count... even though they are mostly water too... it's all the stuff in WITH the water that makes it bad.
    So yeah, 8 glasses of pure water is what you are supposed to have... I'm still struggling with that. ;-)

all water has 'stuff' in it. Except distilled water What do you think happens to your nice, pure water the second it hits your stomach contents?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have a tablespoon of juice in the morning and I add a cup of water.

So I count that as a cup of water.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake. Flor myself, I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes. I haven't been counting any of the occasional diet sodas or slim-fast type products I may drink.

Does anyone count anything additional or purposely exclude any of the above?

Thanks,
    Mike

when did milk coffee tea and powerade become water? i understand counting water with the addition of crystal light as water, but the other stuff? no. water is water, milk is milk, coffee is coffee and so forth. you can add them to your diary under beverages but i would not count them as water because, simply, they are NOT water
  • wellbert
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake. Flor myself, I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes. I haven't been counting any of the occasional diet sodas or slim-fast type products I may drink.

Thanks,
    Mike

when did milk coffee tea and powerade become water? i understand counting water with the addition of crystal light as water, but the other stuff? no. water is water, milk is milk, coffee is coffee and so forth. you can add them to your diary under beverages but i would not count them as water because, simply, they are NOT water

So if they don't primarily contain the chemical H2O, what do they contain instead?
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    just water
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Water and Coffee.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Thanks,
    Mike

So what you are saying is that putting a bag of dried leaves in my water somehow changed the chemical composition?
    <<throws biochem degree out of the door and picks up a book on alchemy>>

You know what... never mind. Don't answer that. Actually I don't know why I click on these topics anymore. I have learned that science is irrelevant on MFP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOOOOODDDD there have been so many threads on this EXACT TOPIC! please search for them before starting yet another thread on what counts as water. BTW WATER is the only thing that counts as WATER. everything else is not WATER, or it would be called water. But it's not.

lol obviously you didn't read those other threads

Actually, I have read the other threads. I'm just saying that if other drinks besides plain water were to be counted as water they would have put the word "liquids" instead of water. Grab a dictionary, there's a difference between the two.

They use the term water as if they used the word liquid lord knows what people would drink. However, the purpose of the ticker is to make sure you are hydrated. The Mayo Clinic and many other organizations agree that it does not have to be water:

<snip>Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available. <snip>

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Out of all the ways you could (and probably do, because you're human) cut corners... This doesn't have to be one. Just count water as water.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    (Jay-Z voice) H to the izzo...(H20)
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Water only, H20. Nothing else is water. Duh!!!

Sorry, how rude. You have to clean your kidneys with water. You cannot do it with coffee, juice, diet coke or regular soft drinks. That other stuff has to go through your digestive system, so does not flush you out the way water does. That's why you need a lot of water when you are dieting, and exercising - keeps you hydrated and your organs cleansed and functioning optimally.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just water.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Uh....plain, simple water is what I count as water.

I've heard of dingdongs counting Diet Coke as water before. I don't agree with this. I doubt the amount of water in it is going to counteract with all those chemicals to benefit your body as somehow hydrating it.

I only count ice cold pure water, or water in my decaffeinated tea as water.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Count anything that has water in it. Don't listen to the purists. They are full of it.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Only water counts as water!