What do you count as water?

Options

Replies

• MrsLeyva11
    Options
    Just water.. Nothing else. Anything else like herbal teas are a bonus, but I only count the plain water.. because that's what your body needs the most of. I don't short myself by saying I've drank water when I really haven't.
  • 1carahmeldiva
    Options
    In addition to water, I count my unsweetened green tea. I love warm drinks and like to experiment with different flavors of tea. I figured it couldn't hurt. I drink a several cups a day, it has no other additives like sugar or honey, and it has no calories. I do make sure I get my 10-12 glasses of "pure water" every single day though.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOOOOODDDD there have been so many threads on this EXACT TOPIC! please search for them before starting yet another thread on what counts as water. BTW WATER is the only thing that counts as WATER. everything else is not WATER, or it would be called water. But it's not.

lol obviously you didn't read those other threads

Actually, I have read the other threads. I'm just saying that if other drinks besides plain water were to be counted as water they would have put the word "liquids" instead of water. Grab a dictionary, there's a difference between the two.

If I drink a teaspoon of lemon juice and follow it with an 8 oz glass of water you count it as water.
    If I put the lemon juice in the water and then drinki it I guess by your reasoning it no longer counts as water.
    Count what you like, but the point is your body counts any liquid as water if there is H2O in it.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I do log everything else that I drink (including plain seltzer or sparkling water) under a drinks section in my food diary.
  • SheRa1964
    Options
    Everything I drink although now I'm questioning that.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Water :drinker:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I only drink coffee and water and the coffee comes out just as fast as the water.

some of these answers are unbelievable.
  • imadiva32
    imadiva32 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I count water and the water i have with crystal light..just realized crystal light has a few calories, so i will start counting water as water and if i put a crystal light in it ill add that to my snacks.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WATER...
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I only count water as my water intake...nothing else.

If I drink anything else it does not go into the water column (for me)...everyone is different
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Water only, H20. Nothing else is water. Duh!!!

Sorry, how rude. You have to clean your kidneys with water. You cannot do it with coffee, juice, diet coke or regular soft drinks. That other stuff has to go through your digestive system, so does not flush you out the way water does. That's why you need a lot of water when you are dieting, and exercising - keeps you hydrated and your organs cleansed and functioning optimally.

The water you drink goes through your digestive system like anything else you take in and the gets absorbed into the bloodstream and eventually goes through the klidneys. There is no separate system that takes water directly to your kidneys
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Water only, H20. Nothing else is water. Duh!!!

Sorry, how rude. You have to clean your kidneys with water. You cannot do it with coffee, juice, diet coke or regular soft drinks. That other stuff has to go through your digestive system, so does not flush you out the way water does. That's why you need a lot of water when you are dieting, and exercising - keeps you hydrated and your organs cleansed and functioning optimally.
    Honestly this is completely false. Please read the info posted from the may clinic. The human body does not have a separate tube for water and one for 'other liquids'. It processes them the same. How do you make your coffee? You pour water over crushed beans. As far as caffeine it takes massive amounts to dehydrate you. Alcohol of course will so don't count the vodka. :flowerforyou:
    Not meant to be snarky at all. Just informative. Hopefully.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps, there is a misunderstanding. No one here is stupid enough to believe that liquid refreshment isn't primarily water. Or that something becomes "not water" by simply adding something.

They are arguing from a semantics point, that the liquid 'milk' is not called 'water' and therefore, it would be incorrect, from a data standpoint, to count it.

Right? Right?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake. Flor myself, I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes. I haven't been counting any of the occasional diet sodas or slim-fast type products I may drink.

Does anyone count anything additional or purposely exclude any of the above?

Thanks,
    Mike

when did milk coffee tea and powerade become water? i understand counting water with the addition of crystal light as water, but the other stuff? no. water is water, milk is milk, coffee is coffee and so forth. you can add them to your diary under beverages but i would not count them as water because, simply, they are NOT water

So if they don't primarily contain the chemical H2O, what do they contain instead?

Virtually EVERY drink contains "primarily water". The only thing I count as water is PLAIN H2O. With the exception of adding a squeeze of lemon to 32oz of water on occasion (even this is rare for me), I count everything else as something other than water. I drink anywhere from 8-12 8oz glasses of PLAIN H2O everyday, and that's what I log as water. Anything else is logged into my diary.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sadly only water. You can add Mio to your water... but water intake is strictly water intake. I know you figure like Iced Tea is mostly water but it's the additives in it that no longer make it as "nutritious" or valuable as straight water. That's why sodas don't count... even though they are mostly water too... it's all the stuff in WITH the water that makes it bad.
    So yeah, 8 glasses of pure water is what you are supposed to have... I'm still struggling with that. ;-)
    Not true. For hydration purposes, ANY liquid you consume, in any form, "counts" as water as far as your body is concerned. It is extremely efficient and perfectly capable of extracting water from whatever you consume, be it juice, coffee, tea, soda, milk, or solid food. The actual medical recommendation is 2.5 liters of FLUID, not water. The concept that only water counts for hydration is just a marketing campaign by bottled water companies, and has absolutely no basis in science.
  • arieleisner
    Options
    water, sparkling water, herbal tea
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused...so, watermelon doesn't count?

I just wish someone would just give me a straight answer. :wink:
  • spikefoot
    Options
    beer
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps, there is a misunderstanding. No one here is stupid enough to believe that liquid refreshment isn't primarily water. Or that something becomes "not water" by simply adding something.

They are arguing from a semantics point, that the liquid 'milk' is not called 'water' and therefore, it would be incorrect, from a data standpoint, to count it.

Right? Right?

Exactly. Plus, milk has calories, fat, protein, and other nutrients that should be accounted for in your food diary not your water log.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Right? Right?
    Unfortunately I don't think so. I think many people believe that you can not be hydrated by liquids other than water. They also don't understand that much of that water comes from food. The reason MFP uses water is because its still healthier than soda or juice without adding calories. But as far as filling you up and keeping you hydrated..I don't think some understand that any liquid does this.