• TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If it's brown, drink it down.
    If it's black, send it back.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I count any liquid that does not have caffeine in it as water. Mostly that is just water, but on occasion, milk and juice.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    just good old pure, unadulterated water... anything else is... not water....
  • sbarbry
    Options
    bump
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I will take water for $200 Alec!
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just water....

FYI, I wouldn't count coffee or tea (unless it is herbal tea) as water because they are actually dehydrating and will require you to need additional water.

This is a myth that is perpetrated all over the place. Contact me if you would like scientific, peer reviewed, articles explaining how this is NOT true.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I only count water as water...granted, many of the things you mentioned may contain a fair amount of water, but they aren't water. Then again, all I drink is water...but, if it isn't clear, colorless and odorless-and comes from a facet, spring or the like, then it isn't water.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Water only!!!
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It is up to each person to decide what amount of water/liquid is right for them, depending on health, exercise, climate etc..

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • CarSidDar
    Options
    I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes.

Water is a "colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms".

Mike, would you consider Crystal Light, milk, coffee, tea, and/or Powerade Zero -- colorless, transparent, odorless, and tasteless?
    No.

So there you have it!

They are basically water. Milk is the least water and it is 85-90% water. So, it can count as water.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what types of drinks everyone counts toward the daily water intake
    anything with H2O in it, as that's what determines my water balance.

^ This. Although I do log my tea in my calorie intake too as I have a small amount of skimmed milk in it which has a calorific content (17 cals to be precise!).
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I count water (with or without crystal light, etc.), milk, coffee, tea and my powerade zeroes.

Water is a "colorless, transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms".

Mike, would you consider Crystal Light, milk, coffee, tea, and/or Powerade Zero -- colorless, transparent, odorless, and tasteless?
    No.

So there you have it!

Those drinks are 90-99% water, therefore they count towards your water intake.
    Its the same with your macronutrients, if something was 70% protein and 30% fat would you dismiss both the protein and fat because it isn't 100% of both?
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    High Water Content Fruits
    According to the University of Kentucky the following fresh fruits have a water content of 85 percent or higher: apricot, blueberry, orange, peach, pineapple, plum and raspberry. Melons such as cantaloupe and watermelon have some of the highest water content, at more than 90 percent. These melons are good choices for snacking because they contain less sugar than many other fresh fruits.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/457205-list-of-fruits-vegetable-with-a-high-water-content/#ixzz25Wy8U2eh

OP- perhaps you should count fruit as water as well...?
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Errr Water - I ignore coffee, as I drink it black and unsweetened
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    It doesn't make sense to only count plain water, just because you add a flavouring or carbonate something doesn't mean it doesn't count!!

Coffee or tea contains a mild diuretic but it's still going to hydrate you. As does milk, pop and fruit juices.

Are people telling me that if I drank plain water while or after eating for example that they won't mix in my stomach? Therefore your not getting your plain water unless you drink on an empty stomach. Your stomach and digestive system doesn't know the difference between plain and that containing flavour.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    Pffft...Just water...lol!
  • CarSidDar
    Options

The reason you need to count plain water is that the molecules of water are "free" and when we put things into our water (coffee, tea, crystal light, sugar, etc) we saturate those water molecules.....hence our body can't use it like it can use plain water. My doc says I need to drink an extra water for each non-water drink I have daily, because many non-water liquids have a diuretic effect.

OMG.

My chemical engineering professors just rolled in their graves. I will have to start a petition to free all those imprisoned water molecules sitting here in my coffee.

Coffee, tea, crystal light, etc. are very very far from saturated water. Do you actually know how much sugar you need to put into water to saturate it? It would gag you from the sweetness. Solubility in water 2000 g/L (25 °C) (from wikipedia) therefore 2 kg per l or for you Americans 4.4 pounds of sugar in 4.2 cups of water.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I only count water.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I count all zero calorie beverages as water. Judging by the majority of answers in this thread I probably won't be able to lose any weight doing it this way.

Oh, never mind... :drinker:
    |
    |
    |
    V
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I just count water.

I don't even count tea....but that is water haha, so I should. I only have like one cup of tea maybe in a day, so it's no biggie...

I never count coffee, some say it dehydrates anyways...