How do you eat enough calories?

Options

Replies

• kareinlib
    Options
    I am seriously so tired of hearing this question. It's not complicated at all. 1.5 large mcdonalds milkshakes is probably over 1200 calories. Do you really not understand? There infinite ways to get to your calorie goal, some of them incredibly easy. No one should need this concept explained to them, ever.

...obviously I am aware that if I eat ten hamburgers I'm going to hit a high calorie count,that clearly isn't my issue. I'm trying to eat healthy and when I do so I keep coming up under my calorie goal. And I would love to not have to eat six snickers in order to make it up.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to do is add nuts to your food list, they are a good source of good fats... And high in calories and filling... I think like 30 nuts with less than 50% of them as peanuts is like 300-400 calories... And 30-50 nuts is pretty damn filling....
  • kellyerandolph
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I don't want to eat garbage to make my calories...going to start protein shakes tomorrow. I'll let you know how that works out.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    I'm having a real issue every day trying to meet my minimum calorie requirement... I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to eat enough calories when I'm eating so healthy.

Help is much appreciated, thanks!! :)
    If you aren't eating enough calories, then you aren't, "eating so healthy." You're obviously eating an incredibly unhealthy, unbalanced diet.

...okay, hence why I posted this topic. I don't understand why do many of you seem to think the animosity is necessary when I am just asking for help on what I feel is a reasonable question.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I struggle with this too, especially since I drink so much water a day(12-18 glasses)

Here's what I do and usually works, I spread my meals out, so my diary looks like this:
    Breakfast
    Snack 1
    Lunch
    Snack 2
    Dinner
    Snack 3

I make sure to get protein at every meal/snack and my snacks are no more than 200 calories and my meals no more than 400(unless we go out to eat).
    My meals are usually about 300 and my snacks about 150.
    When i aboslutely cannot reach my goal (and i'm usually not hungry which i hate eating when i'm not hungry but your body needs it) I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter with a banana.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I put food in my face hole.

Then you type out of your a** hole! Get with the program!!

If you have nothing useful to contribute then why bother!!!

This is a new person to MFP and they are asking for advice????
  • Kwoman2912
    Options
    Add a couple eggs,oatmeal or a protein shake to breakfast and you will add a couple hundred calories no problem. I don't know how you aren't starving by lunch after eating a banana or a special k bar for breakfast!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Also do not listen to the people saying to eat junk food... just... eww...

If you must have something bad, have a glass of red wine or two, it is good for your heart, and each glass like 80-120c or so...

Other ideas is tuna... good source of protein, low in carbs.... Make sure it is not the tomato soaked ones or other sauce ones... just the normal ones in water etc...

Umm there is lots of ideas really...

Fruits, they have good sugar content, a banana is like 100c, can have snacks with them.... Umm yea... Or how about 2 egg omelette with meat inside? That healthy too, low in carb as well... 2 eggs, water, mince of choice, spices.... simple...

Play with combinations... However, I still stand by nuts... they are great.. my fav snack/meal or whatever :D I could have all my meals as nuts and be happy I reckon lol :D
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

\

^^^^ this is awesome. Thank you!
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think that so far what I got from this is that I need to add some more meats, nuts, and some peanut butter into my diet. I'll try this and I bet I will start hitting my goal.

Thanks so much to those of you who tried to help!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am seriously so tired of hearing this question. It's not complicated at all. 1.5 large mcdonalds milkshakes is probably over 1200 calories. Do you really not understand? There infinite ways to get to your calorie goal, some of them incredibly easy. No one should need this concept explained to them, ever.

I think by "healthy" she means nutrient-dense, which is NOT what a McD's shake is. (It's not a milkshake either, btw. A milkshake has milk and ice cream. Mcd's is a big bag of crap placed in a machine. It doesn't even taste like ice cream.)
    That "bag of crap" is low fat vanilla ice cream. That's all it is.

Ewwwwww. No. It's totally NOT ice cream. I used to work there. If you want a shake that's made with ice cream, I suggest Baskin Robbins or Dairy Queen. You will notice the difference right away. :wink:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'd add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or almond butter onto your morning banana, or add peanut butter and an apple to your lunch or snack. About 100 cals per tablespoon.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think that so far what I got from this is that I need to add some more meats, nuts, and some peanut butter into my diet. I'll try this and I bet I will start hitting my goal.

You're welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start! :happy:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    then don't eat so "healthy"

Your body needs fat, protein, and carbs for all kinds of wonderful things (support muscle, energy, hormone production, etc) - don't restrict them too much, and don't be afraid of them.

Advertisers will have you believe that all kinds foods are evil. They aren't. They are evil when portions get out of control... but that's about the portion, not the food.

True dat.
  • kareinlib
    Options

Thank you so much :)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    peanut-butter-spoon.jpg
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I have no problems getting in my calories, my problem is eating too much. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas, the weekends are where I splurge(not to say weekdays are always great) so those days might not always be the healthiest of choices for you but I'm not ready to give a lot of things up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    then don't eat so "healthy"

Your body needs fat, protein, and carbs for all kinds of wonderful things (support muscle, energy, hormone production, etc) - don't restrict them too much, and don't be afraid of them.

Advertisers will have you believe that all kinds foods are evil. They aren't. They are evil when portions get out of control... but that's about the portion, not the food.

This.

I first try to pre-plan my day to make sure I get enough protein. Once that goal is reached, I look at where I can fill things in. If I'm low on fat, I'll add olive oil to my cooking, or some cheese or other dairy, or peanut butter. Otherwise, if my protein and fat needs are met, and I've had a good amount of fruit and vegetables... I'll have whatever I damn well please. Not everything has to be nutritionally perfect. A couple of chocolate chip cookies might not serve any nutritional need, but they sure to satisfy my taste buds.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What a ****ing stupid response from someone that clearly has no reading comprehension.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Add whatever you like... just so long at the end of the day your numbers are where they should be. I eat fast food periodically with no problems... I have pizza sometimes. Ice cream? Sure. Don't be afraid of food, just be afraid of ridiculous portions.

A crazy clean diet is no good to you if you can't sustain it.