How do you squeeze in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you don't. you either prioritize it and put it at the top of your list, or you will always find an excuse, and never find the time.

if you look for time, you will never find it. you have to create it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Either your health is enough of a priority to make time for it, or it isn't. It really is that simple. I don't know if you really are scheduled every waking minute, but if so, you need to ask yourself if all of those tasks are really more important than the health benefits that exercise provides.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I wake up earlier to work out before I go to work.

I just get up, turn on the coffee, do my 30 minute work out, quick shower, get dressed, drink my coffee and head out the door.

It helps that I prepare all my meals the day before.
  • ewunia99
    ewunia99 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't know what your work -day looks like, but I think a KEY to working out regularly is actually figuring out what time of day works for you.

For me I used to try to work out after work, but naturally my energy was SO low that I just didn't enjoy it and it always seemed like a chore. NOW, most of my workouts are done during my lunch break. I work out for about 45 min and take a quick shower before heading back to my desk. It works best for me, I feel accomplished and then lunch tastes even better :) I tried early morning too but I"M NOT nor will I ever be a morning person, so lunch time is the perfect fit.

On weekends I do things I like to do like hot yoga or walking my dog more... I make time for that b/c I love it.

You will find the time,but my advice is try working out a couple different times during the day to find out WHEN suits you best. you can do it!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you want to you will find a way. I recently gave up the gym and switched to running in the neighborhood to save time and money. I either go while my husband is cooking (we take turns) or after the kids are in bed.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that is on my way home from the office, and just put my workouts in my schedule for those days. In and out in under an hour, and right home afterwards. Where there is a will there is a way!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I squeeze one out when I get home from work

dying
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30am
    Same here! Well, actually 4, but I'm up by 4:30, eat breakfast and I'm out by 5:15 heading to the gym. The thought of getting up this early sucked at first, but now I know if I don't go to the gym before work I'll be sitting in at least an hour of traffic on the way to the office. Screw that! I'll take the gym over traffic any morning.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    <---- gets up at 4am.
  • My alarm goes off at 4:30am

This. I will wake up anywhere from 4-4:45ish to fit in a run. If I skip it and sleep in I will be MORE tired throughout the day (one of the many reasons I hate taking my neccessary rest days!). The only exception (besides rest day) is if I am averaging under 6 hours of sleep for a few nights in a row I may skip a run and sleep and just get up even earlier the next day to run longer.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I go for an hour after I drop the kids off at daycare and before work or school two days a week. I don't take lunches those days. I also try to get in at least one workout a weekend.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I asked myself, "Do you want to be fat, or do you want to make a couple of sacrifices for your health?"

And now I get up at 5am every day.
  • wickedboots
    Options
    You all are right, if I make it priority, I will do it. I already get up between 4:30 and 5:00. I can't fathom getting up any earlier. But I do believe I can force myself to take a lunch break 3 days a week. I'll take it from there.
  • wickedboots
    Options
    I love your Killer kitty. Super good looking!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Im up at 2 or 230 am every single day anyway.........I do things then so I dont have to do them after work. Am I tired? Hell yes Im tired..

But Im way more tired of being stiff and sore and outta breathe ......Im way more tired of being overweight....than I am of getting up early working hard and coming home to MY TIME...MY WORKOUT.......MY WEIGHT LOSS !!!!
  • BeyFit805
    BeyFit805 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started waking up early. I thought I would never be able to workout before going to work but so far it hasn't been that bad at all. It's nice to get it over with because sometimes I'm too tired to exercise when I get off work (I'm an RN). I've come to find that I don't really miss that extra sleep in the morning and I have more energy during the day. You can fine the time, just plan ahead. :happy:
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I get up early and make sure I'm done before the kids need to leave for school (mine are older now, need less attention) Eventually you find that you have more energy and getting up early is not a big deal.

I have also recently started to bike to work a couple of times per week (depending on the weather and kids' needs after work) which is 14 miles one way. If I can do that twice a week, that's 56 miles per week of biking.

During a couple of previous jobs I worked very close to a gym and would go during lunch. That one is just a matter of making it a priority to take your lunch break every day.

If you want to do it, you will find the solution.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you, you'll make time. It's been said but it bears repeating.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If i don't wake up early, then something gets in the 75% of the time.
  • evanesco
    Options
    Mark Lauren says this:

You want to be in great shape but you also don’t want to let go of your comfort for thirty minutes. You want to be leaner but you don’t want to go through the hassle of breaking old eating habits. You want to workout but you also want to sit on the couch and relax. The examples are endless. Your mind can be simply awesome at manufacturing excuses. The bottom line is what is more important to you: Your goals or whatever is in the way of you achieving them? The next time you skip a workout because of some excuse, you’ll know why. That excuse was more important to you than the goal you set for yourself. You failed.

You only need 20-30 minutes of exercise 3-4 times a week. Everyone can do that. I work early x3 followed by late x3, then 2 days off, and mine are long shifts 10-12 hours, if I can find time, run a home and raise a family then you can too. Stop phoning it in and making excuses. How long did you sit at your pc before you typed that post? I bet you could have done 20 min workout in that time.