How do you squeeze in time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I get home from work every night a 6. Immediately I changed into my workout clothes and hit the gym. That's what works for me. I'm not sure what your schedule is but you can

1 - get up early and work out
    2 - work out and/or walk on your lunch hour
    3 - work out after work

Most of us don't have the time, we make it. You have to want it that bad!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier, skip TV for the night and hit the gym, stay up a little later or go on my lunch hour. All very viable options that seem impossible until you find the resolve and commitment it takes to make it happen.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you, you'll make time. It's been said but it bears repeating.

This. Just repeating it again :)

I'm really not that busy. I mean, I am, but my job has flexible scheduling. So yeah, I work 50+ hours a week usually, but I can work experiments around my gym schedule. My health and happiness are the two most important things in my life and both require my gym time.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to be lazy!! Lazy Lazy Lazy!!
    I would only get up early enough to get my kids on the bus; sometimes I would get back in bed and sleep until I had to get up and go into work.

But when I finally realized that rolling over meant my stomach was rolling over before I was... yeah, enough!!

I decided to get up at 5am everyday! I am dressed, out the door, and at the gym by 5:30am!!! On school days I put in 40-45 mins on the weights and 30-35 mins on cardio... I still leave the gym in enough time to get home ... get 3 kids ready, take 3 kids to two different schools.

I usually have enough time when I get home to shower, clean up a bit, do some laundry, and start my day! I own a small business and I am very active in my town. I volunteer, I am on a bowling league, and active in my church...

I still manage to have 3 children that play sports, are active in their schools forensics classes, and did I mention that I am also a volunteer at one of their schools.

I also get together with friends one day a week for a girls night.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE TIME!!! The problem you have is that you just don't want to... I hate to say that; but it's true!!

When you finally take the time to put your life and your health first... EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FALL INTO PLACE!! :happy:

You set the dynamic of your life/your family/ and your ability to lose the weight!! CHOOSE YOU!!!

GOOD LUCK!
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do either 30DS or C25K after my kids are in bed. Each is only 30 minutes, so I have a hard time telling myself that my health is not worth 1/2 an hour of my day. I like those 2 programs because I don't have a gym membership. I fell off of the wagon for a while and lost my motivation, but have picked myself back up and got back on track. I realized I feel more energetic if I excercise, and the pride I have in myself gives me a boost too. I was trying to use the excuse that I was too tired after a full day of work, but that is just BS. I just needed to decide that excercise was more important than "relaxing" after a long day, and it makes me feel better.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I shift some of the burden over to my husband. He'll look after the kids while I hit the gym 3 times a week. And then the rest we either do as a family (like jogging) or I will do when my daughter takes her daily naps.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    My only "me" time is in the morning so regardless how I feel, I get up at 5:00 am and work out. It's the question of how bad do you want to reach your goal. Squeeze at least 20-30 minutes out of your day, you'll find time. Good luck!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Do you watch TV? You have time to exercise. There is a lot you can do at home with a yoga mat and some exercise bands. You can even do these WHILE you watch TV.
  • myscheer
    Options
    an hour of exercise is 4% of your day! make time :D
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's currently my No. 1 priority and the thing I enjoy most. It wasn't always.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough in having a good job which lets me finish work at 4:30pm.. i then pick up my daughter and go to the afternoon class ... gyms have creche(daycare) which is a blessing.. sometimes i leave my daugther at home with my mum which is another blessing in disguise :) so i would do the 5:30 class and then put my daughter in bed/dinner etc etc.. i also eat dinner at the same time and put her to bed once shes asleep i then go back to the gym as my mum watches her for me and i then gym for another 1-2 hours depending on my program..
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If it is important to you then you will make time for it.. I am up at 5:30 so I can get around and get that A.M. workout in . I have to say for me it is all about priorities.. and me time is at the top. If I don't take care of myself first then I can't be there for anyone else, especially my family... Take baby steps, if you can only get 10 minutes in then make it the best 10 minutes you possibly can.. Best of Luck
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i'm lucky i workout at lunchtime (i get an hour). my office has a small gym so i use that or i go outside for a run. sunday is also becoming my big run day.
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work different hours as a service manager in a grocery store. I'm already on my feet for the majority of my day. I find time to do extra walking, mostly after lunch. On days I work the evening shift, I do a workout @ gym in morning. A couple of days, I'll go straight to gym after work. I'm also training for another 1/2 marathon- so I run 3 times a week. I get up fairly early ( 5 am) on Sundays to get my long run in before church), I do it because I love it- I feel strong, accomplished and happy after I work out. Nothing can compare to an after workout high!

I hope that you can find time to include some workout time in your schedule!
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    I am trying to do things like toe taps while waiting at the bus with my son, and walking my daughter to her bus stop in the mornings (she is 14 and is not impressed lol). I stand up to fold the laundry and do side steps, same thing while cooking or washing dishes. When I go grocery shopping I walk around the store a couple of times or make my shopping list and go from one side of the store to the other a few times. Even 10 minutes is better than nothing. I don't know how to figure out the cals burned for the toe taps or side steps so I don't log them, but at the end of the day i know I did them.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If its important to you, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse!
    At one period in my life I was up at 4:30 AM, gym at 5:15 am, worked out for 1.5 hours, went home got ready for work, worked from 8-4:30 drove 40 minutes to nursing school where I was in class until 9:30 PM, got home around 10:15 PM, studied and did homework for a few hours and then repeated the process over the very next day... It had to get done and I made it happen!
    There are no excuses!
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, you'll figure out where you can make time. Wake up earlier, go to sleep later, work out during your lunch hour - everyone is busy, but you have to make the time for it.

Could not have said it better myself! I used to say I was too busy to exercise but it's a load of BS. If you truly want to do it, you will make time. I make sure I exercise every single day even if it's just a walk in my lunchbreak!

You CAN do it! :bigsmile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    SOOO, why did you ask? YOU know your schedule, we don't. I read the other day that you don't "Squeeze in" exercise, you MAKE time for it. Either MAKE time for it or don't ONLY YOU know what is Important to You and what You Value Most.
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've decided the only way it's going to "fit into my schedule" is by not making it an option. I look at it like a job - a commitment to show up to work and do my best. It's not about fitting it in anymore, but making it a priority. It's not about feelings, but facts. Fact is: I want to be healthy. I want to lose weight and my excuses.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't find time...I make time.

I work 12.5 hour rotating shifts. With commute it's a 14 hour work day. Until last month I was also going to grad school in my "spare time" (just graduated).

Married father of 3 with a dog and a lawn and all the time obligation that entails.

I used to tell myself I didn't have time. Turns out I did. It's all about priorities.