How to get enough carbs when you don't eat grains

Options
A While back my doctor put me on The Paleo diet to help with an the chronic pain of fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome (sp?)
Right now I'm training for my first 10K, my running group coach has been talking about carb loading before big runs and before the race but I'm at a lose as to how to do it. If you dont eat grain how do you carbo load? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Legumes? Fruit? Vegetables?
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Check out Marks Daily Apple for tips http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz25dUBuWW1

as linanil says - legumes, fruit and veggies. Sweet potatoes are great.
  • khrissym
    Options
    I was in the same boat not too long ago and one thing that was recommended to me was quinoa. It is not a grain and provides you with more carbohydrates.

There are many different ways that you can have it.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    When you are paleo, you can carbo load on white rice and sweet or white potatoes. Unless, those give you a bad reaction. Then it is strictly is fruit and veggies, no legumes.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Fruit. Milk (is that on paleo?)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    When you are paleo, you can carbo load on white rice and sweet or white potatoes. Unless, those give you a bad reaction. Then it is strictly is fruit and veggies, no legumes.

This and add in raw milk
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    If you are eating primal, you can drink some milk or chocolate milk. There's also sweet potatoes and white potatoes (some Paleo followers don't eat them, but they are veggies and if you don't have a bad reaction to them, go for it!), fruit of course (bananas and melons are pretty high in carbs), nuts, and seeds like quinoa. White rice is also OK to some Paleo proponents, so you could eat that, and if you don't have a bad reaction to legumes you can add those as well. I'm sure you can figure something out!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to carbo load on Paleo is sweet potatoes. Other than that, plenty of fruits and vegetables!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Potatoes - Sweet or white. (I think white is considered paleo by some)
    Lara Bars - Only the coconut cream one is primal
    Fruit - Lots of it
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Potatoes - Sweet or white. (I think white is considered paleo by some)
    Fruit - Lots of it

This. Exactly... and the sweet potato is paleo/primal okay.
  • Jester522
    Options
    Legumes, fruits (careful... its all sugar. Moderation and timing.) , vegetables are NOT valid carb source, beans, starches.

Paleo is omits the use of grains and wheat as they are annual monocrops introduced as a dietary staple via agriculture and irrigation. Paleo relies on carb sources from perennial plants not containing gluten. These are your fruits for sugars and roots/legumes/beans for starch.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, beans, legumes, fruits
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    When I was marathon training I ate a lot of squash, (butternut and spaghetti) beets, dates and sweet potatoes.

Also, quinoa and ALL legumes are not paleo.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was going to say quinoa but then thought, isn't it grains?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yup, Legumes are out if you want to go the full Paleo, they have similar issues to grains.

Sweet potato would be my choice. Not that I need to carb load for anything ;)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Define "enough" carbs.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Fruit
    More fruit
    Legumes
    Fruit.
    Potatoes.

I would put emphasis on fruit. The human is a natural frugivore.

Read "The 80/10/10 Diet" by Douglas Graham. It is a high energy diet based around fruit.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was going to say quinoa but then thought, isn't it grains?

Quinoa is a seed.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure at least the cashew cookie ones are too. The only ingredients are cashews and dates...

OP - PO-TA-TO! Cook 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a stew.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You don't need to carb load to run distances. If you're already eating Paleo you will be getting enough fat in your diet to burn as fuel.

Carb loading are for runners who eat grains and people who buy into 'carb = energy'. As a paleo person, you shouldn't buy into that. You should already have boundless energy from eating the right foods, the foods we evolved to eat.

So don't carb load. Make sure you get a nice fatty meal the night before, a protein/mid-fat breakfast, and do your run. You should be fine. Especially if you've been training for it for a while - if so, you won't have had any problems during your 7km and 8km warm-up runs, so you won't by pushing it to the 10km mark.

Sounds like your coach is advising what he does without taking into account what you do. Someone mentioned Mark's Daily Apple, which is great. I once found an article on there where Mark Sisson admitted drinking a spoonful of olive oil before a 10km race - fat-fuel straight into the system. Personally, that would probably make me throw up, but an avocado and some bacon would probably do the same job.

PrimalGirl