Options
    Mountain Bike (or Spin Class) - all distances via mapmyride

Sept. 1st: 2.5 miles
    Sept. 5th: 14 miles (*Spin Class*)

*Total (so far): 16.5 miles
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing GREAT! I've been busy getting my children back to school so I haven't had time to respond to the questions.

I use STRAVA to track my rides. It is a free app on my smartphone. It tacks using a GPS. I also have a bike computer that I purchased from Amazon for around $40, but I haven't hooked it up to my new bike yet.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Please allow me to share my story... hopefully it will give you all motivation NOT to quit riding!

In July of 2011 our family walked into a local bike shop with the intention of getting 4 new bikes (we did this because our daughters had outgrown their bikes and decided to make it a family affair since for over 18 years, my husband and I "talked" about getting bikes). That day changed my life! I weighed about 250 lbs that day, sadly that was not my top weight. We started out riding as a family and quickly our teenage daughters lost interest. My husband and I continued to ride nearly every weekend weather permitting. I managed to lose about 18 lbs between then and December, just by riding on weekends. In December I joined a gym and picked up the pace. I continued to ride on the weekends when I could due to weather. When spring rolled around, we were back out on the trails nearly every weekend. By then I was down another 20 lbs or so. Then I had an ah-ha moment! I realized I needed to challenge myself... so with complete fear and a little bit of crazy, I challenged myself BIG TIME!!! I registered for a Century Ride! Using an on-line training guide, I have been building up to the 100 mile ride with yesterday's ride being 51.25 miles. We started out just over a year ago barely being able to finish a 6 mile ride and yesterday I rode 51.25 miles! The Century Ride is October 6th... so I have a long way to go, but every day I make a conscious decision to work towards my goal. And to sweeten the pot, I've also challenged myself to lose 13 more lbs by then... because then I will have lost 100 lbs. How amazing will it be to exchange 100 lbs or 100 miles??

Please don't give up on the riding, just do what you can do 4 miles or 100, it sure beats sitting on the couch!

Thank you for sharing! I love to hear how people got started on their bikes. It proves that there is hope for the rest of us who are just getting our feet wet.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I knew it was time for a real change and since I hate all things running I figured i would give bicycling a chance instead. So I found a nice Titan mountain bike on craigslist for 45.00 and decided to ride. I am so glad I made that choice. Today was my first ride (after YEEEAARRRSSSS)... I almost forgot how exhilarating ” flying” on a bike could be. I also forgot there was pain associated with riding. Yikes! My thighs burn! Can't wait to ride again!

09/05 6.32 MILES DOWN...193.68 TO GO
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Goal 600miles 172.5 completed

September 1 - 57.5 miles 16.7mph avg 1569 calories - 3 hours 30 minutes
    September 2 - 43 miles 15mph avg. Recovery ride 1089 calories - 2hours 50 minutes
    September 3 - 42 miles. 18 avg. annual BBQ ride. 25miles there, eat, 17 miles home.... Keep a fast pace to burn off the pastries and sweets the local church ladies make...

September 4 - 30 miles - 16 avg. 900 calories Commute to work 1hour 50 minutes
    September 5 - Rest Day (five days riding in a row need a break)

Total For Month : 172.5 miles

Calories (not that it matters I do not eat them) are based on the rough formula of 30 calories per mile ridden. It may be more or less on any particulary day so I let it just average out in the end
  • codercpc
    Options
    9/1/12- 25.7 miles
    9/2/12- 3.7 miles on mountain bike
    9/3/12- 5.57 miles
    9/4/12 8.96 miles
    9/5/12 8.96 miles

Total so far 52.89 - 147.11 to go...
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok I am joining this for the first time. I will set a goal of 150 and see how I do. :happy:

9/1 0
    9/2 4.5
    9/3 5
    9/4 4
    9/5 6.3

Total so far: 19.8
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Please allow me to share my story... hopefully it will give you all motivation NOT to quit riding!

In July of 2011 our family walked into a local bike shop with the intention of getting 4 new bikes (we did this because our daughters had outgrown their bikes and decided to make it a family affair since for over 18 years, my husband and I "talked" about getting bikes). That day changed my life! I weighed about 250 lbs that day, sadly that was not my top weight. We started out riding as a family and quickly our teenage daughters lost interest. My husband and I continued to ride nearly every weekend weather permitting. I managed to lose about 18 lbs between then and December, just by riding on weekends. In December I joined a gym and picked up the pace. I continued to ride on the weekends when I could due to weather. When spring rolled around, we were back out on the trails nearly every weekend. By then I was down another 20 lbs or so. Then I had an ah-ha moment! I realized I needed to challenge myself... so with complete fear and a little bit of crazy, I challenged myself BIG TIME!!! I registered for a Century Ride! Using an on-line training guide, I have been building up to the 100 mile ride with yesterday's ride being 51.25 miles. We started out just over a year ago barely being able to finish a 6 mile ride and yesterday I rode 51.25 miles! The Century Ride is October 6th... so I have a long way to go, but every day I make a conscious decision to work towards my goal. And to sweeten the pot, I've also challenged myself to lose 13 more lbs by then... because then I will have lost 100 lbs. How amazing will it be to exchange 100 lbs or 100 miles??

Please don't give up on the riding, just do what you can do 4 miles or 100, it sure beats sitting on the couch!

You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing this.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Late start due to Hurricane Issac which brought drought relief, college football (Go Tigers), and a 3 day trip to Texas.

Using iPhone4s / RunKeeper (free app) to track mileage, distance, maps, and other details

9/5/12 14.10 miles
  • CricketKate
    Options
    13.3 miles tonight.

exercise.png
  • rachelscloset
    rachelscloset Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I am excited to do 200 miles this month! I am a morning person, so I may not be so excited by 4:00pm. However, I am just about out to do my morning ride. I just got a Specialized Dolce this summer and love the ride. I had a Trek for 20 years before that. Bikes have sure changed in 20 years! I am new to MFP, but I am really liking this site. I could use friends, especially friends that cycle. Please feel free to friend me or let me friend you. I feel like I am late to a party where everyone already knows each other:)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Been years since I was last on a bike. Figured it would be a good exercise and fun too. Right on both accounts and have not looked back since then. Got a Giant TCX back in March and have been working toward a century by years end. I'm currently at my longest ride of 45 miles, and this weekend will be 60, at least I hope. So heres to a great challenge, thanks for putting it together. My goal is 200 in the month.

9/1 - 10 miles
    9/2 - 35 miles
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! It is definitely my favorite type of exercise. I have set up a challenge on endomondo for Sept/Oct if anyone uses the app. I like it as a motivational tool! Happy trails!

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/6744672
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Today was a much better ride for me! Not as sore in my thighs as I was yesterday since I raised my seat a bit. My tuckus hurt like heck though. Also my Titan's ride is a bit too soft for me due to the shocks in the front and center. Any suggestions?
    09/05 6.32
    09/06 8.2 MILES DOWN...185.48 TO GO

I think I'm going to go hard tomorrow and ride to my in-laws' house. It's like 10.3 miles!!! Woohoo!!!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Is it September, already? This is the 4th month of our cycling challenge. We've had many people come and go. We LOVE the ones that stick around! We have several serious cyclers who put up fantastic distances, and we have a lot of people who, like me, are just starting out or returning to cycling (I got on a bike in May for the first time in 20 years). Wherever you are, whatever you ride WE WANT YOU! This is a very informal challenge. Feel free to post your miles, your minutes, your rpm's, how you feel, WHATEVER makes you get on your bike! Spinners/Indoor (I'm glad that I proofread that, as I had written "sinners" instead of spinners) cyclers are also welcome. Come along, it's lots of fun!

Is there a distance that has to be completed? I try to get in long rides as I sometimes commute to work via bike. I mtn bike and am wanting to partake in more road cycling. This weekend I have a 60km ride.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 800 mlles...
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not too late to join! I'm going to be more realistic (for me) and aim for 100 miles this month. I need to start with smaller goals, as I didn't meet the last challenge I entered. But I will do this!
  • mdr3t
    mdr3t Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will keep me on my bike! Been a rough summer.
  • bklozano62
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm so excited to see so many of you "returning" to cycling. So many of us haven't ridden since childhood. I've been reading all of the posts and can relate well to all of the comments about how hard it is to just complete a 5 mile ride!

I remember my first "training" ride. I was on a Wal-Mart bike and completed 25 miles at an average speed of barely 9 mph. I was exhausted and thought I would never make it! Apparently, another rider participating felt the same way, as he stayed with me until the very end - I think he was concerned I would collapse and have a heart attack before making it to the finish!

Well, that was 13 years and thousands of miles ago! Now, a 25 mile ride for me is a warm-up, and the Wal-Mart bike is long gone, replaced by a racing bike that weights 15 1/2 lbs. It is a wonderful sport, accessible to everyone, regardless of fitness level or budget. The community is tight-knit and supportive.

I am setting my goal for September at around 300-400 miles. I don't really ride during the week and it is currently too hot to ride more than about 40 miles at a time (I live in Texas). I'm looking forward to cooler weather and longer distances.

So far this month:
    9/1 - 15 miles (was a mentor for new riders and stayed with a lady who hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years)
    9/2 - 32 miles
    9/3 - 40 miles

Be sure to WEAR A HELMET whenever you get on your bike, even for a ride around the block.