What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    I would recommend for you use Libra - Weight Manager (Android app) to record your weight IF you feel you must weigh yourself everyday. Libra tracks your weight using a trend line as suggested by "The Hacker's Diet" (free book on internet). The reason this is helpful is because it takes into account all the variables & fluctuations in weight loss and gives you a more of a true measure of your actual weight.

I'll look into it. Thanks.
  • Nice tip, LabRat529.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    If anyone has time to look at my diary and help, I'd appreciate it. I lost pretty well for the first few weeks (I know that's expected) but now I'm gaining. I'm up .8 in the last week. I was told I was eating too few calories..so I upped them yesterday. Felt like too much food for me and I was up again this morning. I am doing the 30 day shred 6 days a week and c25 k 3 days a week. Please help. I'm getting discouraged :(
    Thanks

What seems to be working for me now is
    1 - its not a diet - diets fail and I am going to succeed - Im making lifestyle changes.
    2 - Writting down my goals - everything from what size clothes I want to be able to wear to total weight lost and everything in between
    3 - stop looking at the scale and focus on inches and % of body fat lost - a persons weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs day to day and not actually reflect weight gained/lost - retaining water adds weight but isnt actual weight gain
    4 - check out this link - it'll give you a better more accurate calorie/day number than using straight MFP (although this is good too!) You may have to readjust your cals/day to reflect the amount of exercise you're doing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

5 - get strength training to build up the muscle while you lose the weight.

and a 1lb of fat and a 1lb of muscle both weigh the same - muscle is just denser so it takes up less space!

Good luck & happy losing!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    First of all, stop being so hard on yourself! Be proud of your weight loss so far - 10 pounds in a few week is fantastic!

It could be that your body is just stabilizing from the initial loss. I went through this when I first started losing and still do on occassion. I just get to the point where I'm starting to get frustrated and bam, there goes another pound or two. This whole process is a real lesson in patience and determination!

Also I noticed your sodium was a bit high yesterday so that could be it. I don't think it has anything at all to do with your calories because your goal is still fairly low.

Keep on keepin' on!
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    First of all, stop being so hard on yourself! Be proud of your weight loss so far - 10 pounds in a few week is fantastic!

It could be that your body is just stabilizing from the initial loss. I went through this when I first started losing and still do on occassion. I just get to the point where I'm starting to get frustrated and bam, there goes another pound or two. This whole process is a real lesson in patience and determination!
    Keep on keepin' on!

This whole process is a lifestyle change and takes time. Anything that you've lost and the changes you have made are what is most important.

There really is no point in getting frustrated because every day is different and you and your body react differently each day.

Taking a personal example I used to eat 6 oreos in one sitting, for the entire *month* of August I had 6 oreos. Those are the types of changes you are looking for. That change won't show up on the scale other than as part of the whole, work towards that!
  • I really do appreciate the bluntness...I'm just new to this and needed some feedback. For a few weeks I wasn't getting to my 1200 cal min and then included exercise. I was losing, but then I started researching about min calls and was told I was eating too little cal each day. So I increased. I guess I need to give it more time.

Make sure you always eat at least 1200 calories. I would also say trust the program. IF you selected a reasonable goal - say one pound per week - then eat the calories it tells you to eat. Personally, the only way I ever can lose weight consistently is to eat 1200 pre-exercise calories. For me, 1400 or 1500 is too much.

Tena
  • Three of the five most recent days you didn't even eat 1200 calories (or did I look at it wrong). You need to eat at least 1200 calories per day.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose weight when they eat more because of these fluctuations.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

It sound like you are close to your goal so you walk a thin line like I do. If you eat to much you lose ground, it you eat too little its bad for your health. You might have to experiment with calories. I'm lucky because I was willing to invest in myself with the Venus Index program which has something called the Reverse Taper Diet which has a calculator which helps me.

You are probably at a point where you need to ditch the scale!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    This has been said over and over again. Take your measurements. Inches coming off is way better than what the scale says. It could be numerous amounts of things when it comes to the scale. Sore muscles, water weight, time of day you weigh, that time of the month and bloating. My scale goes up and down and I've been working out for six months, but I'm definitely losing inches. Inches outweight fat so start using a measure tape instead of the scale to monitor your progress. Eventually you will see a difference but don't let a tiny number discourage you. It should only make you work harder.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    I appreciate the feed back and I know .8 is nothing...but to see the scale move in the wrong direction everyday is getting hard mentally. What can I tell you about my plan to help you help me?

I think that is his point: your mental approach. it's ok that you're going up .8, it's normal. the body can fluctuate up to 5 lbs DAILY. you answered your own question, I think, in saying it's hard mentally. that's where you need to change, not in your plan just yet.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Think of your body as a race car. You can go fast and furious but not unless your giving it gas to burn. You can't expect to reach your goal like this and you might have lready reached the dreaded platue. Also if your about to um get a visit from your Aunt flow you can gain up to 5 pounds. Also you have to give yourself about a 3 pound wiggle room. Water weight can come and go at random times. Try eating more and keep in mind you have to eat more after you work out ( I didn't learn this until recently) you should be eating 15 mins before and 15 mins after you workout or you did practically nothing. So give it a shot and I hope it helps
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member

1) .8 lbs. POINT EIGHT. I can probably fart this. This is trivial.
    2) One week is also relatively meaningless.

Not everyone is your size, so .8 pounds might be significant for some. I agree that a week isn't long enough to make a judgement.
  • My opinion, and this is only an opinion, is your calories ARE too low. Your metabolism is shutting down because it thinks you are starving. Also, I believe that your protein could be a little more and your carbs less. I try to keep protein and fat at 40% @ and carbs at 20%. I dont know what your exercise regimen is and your calorie deficit every day. And as others have said and was true with me...I dont know why or how it works, but you can and probably lose inches before you lose weight, so take your measurements. I have lost several inches before losing ANY weight! Also, when I was going to my diet prgram, they told me to eat 30 g of protein within 3 hours of waking and you will burn 40% more fat throughout the day. I know of a few other people that eat a lot of carbs and not much protein and they dont lose much weight at all. But everybody is different so try a different approach every month and find out what works for you. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Please don't let 0.8 scare you. An amount that small can soooo easily be water retention from salty food. If I have a high-sodium meal (like sushi or pizza, for example), I can put on 3 lbs of water weight overnight. But it comes off in a couple days just by making sure I drink lots of water to flush out the sodium.

Don't give up - you can do this!
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Not everyone is your size, so .8 pounds might be significant for some. I agree that a week isn't long enough to make a judgement.

I would argue that .8 is insignificant for everyone that is old enough to use this site, including people with no limbs and people with dwarfism that may only weigh 50 lbs. It is THAT insignificant.
  • Just because you gain a little doesn't mean its bad. You could just be gaining muscle. Muscle weighs heavier than fat. Don't get discouraged, all that matters is how your feel in your skin.,
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    If anyone has time to look at my diary and help, I'd appreciate it. I lost pretty well for the first few weeks (I know that's expected) but now I'm gaining. I'm up .8 in the last week. I was told I was eating too few calories..so I upped them yesterday. Felt like too much food for me and I was up again this morning. I am doing the 30 day shred 6 days a week and c25 k 3 days a week. Please help. I'm getting discouraged :(
    Thanks

I'm being blunt here but this is not a personal attack:

I don't know your entire plan so I can't comment on how intelligent it is, but generally speaking, the criteria by which you have decided to change your plan, is not good.

If you keep making changes based on trivial things you are never going to settle in on meaningful data.

My suggestion would be to do nothing for at least 3 more weeks.

Agree. And this is just my opinion and it helps me to not get disouraged...but I don't weigh myself anymore. And if I do it is becuase my pants feel loose or tight. I used to weigh myself everyday and get really discouraged if I saw the scale go up and i thought whats the point I should just go eat some cake...so I don't do that anymore. I stick to my calories and go to the gym and judge myself based on how I feel. Good luck. :)
  • I know as women we can gain or lose up to 5 pounds a day due to water weight. What has helped me is to pick a day and weigh only on that day once a week. I find it less discouraging that way. I think the scale is never your friend because that can be the most discouraging tool we have. Don't give up and stay off the scale!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    First thing: weigh once a week, same day, and at the same time every day. Morning before you've eaten anything and after you've gone to the bathroom is best.

Also, keep in mind 1 20oz bottle of water = 1lb. Seriously, when we have to increase weight at the end of one of our horse races (some of them require you weigh XXXlbs with tack, and there are some real lightweights out there), people start chugging water if they're close to the limit. So don't be worried about the little fluctuations.

From looking at your diary, I am seeing some mayo and salad dressings in there, keep an eye on those because they can really add up (even the "fat free" ones). Make sure you're measuring your serving sizes. Your protein is also really high; I think the MFP standard there is a little low but you're going 20+ over every day. If you like having your protein spread out throughout the day, try just cutting back on the serving size (2 egg whites instead of 3, for example, and if you're still hungry increase the veggies).