FRIENDLY fast food

Options

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    avoids the "wrap option"
    Subway wrap (just the bread 360 cals, a 6" is around 200 (depends on which bread variety)
    I find 6" of bread much more satisfying than a tiny little wrap.
    also be very careful of salads, if theres any sauce or tasty stuff in there its probably way more calories than the "regular option".

also muffins seem to be much worse than cookies or doughnuts.
  • jojobn9
    jojobn9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat out quite a bit but based on your options I recommend:
    Pizza – Limit amount and get it with veggies 1 good size slice should make a lunch.
    Fish and Chips – I would avoid this but if not just eat the fish and if you can pull of any breading. If you like the chips sample a few as a treat and toss the rest.
    Kebabs – This should be a great selection as long as they are not full of a sugary sauce (Special order without sauce if possible)
    Indian Food – Skip the bread and limit any creamy sauces. Rice (a serving) and meat with just a smidge of sauce curry would be good.
    Chinese Food – Again go for the rice, veggies, and meats
    KFC- I love this one I go for a white piece of chicken or two take off the skin/breading and enjoy I don’t get any sides most of their sides are high in fats even the vegetables. I occasionally will get a side salad if they offer it.
    Look up the calories online in the restaurant as you menu shop if you have a smart phone or ask for their nutritional info sheet most places (fast food type have it) Just remember to make the best selection you can with lean and health in mind try to limit to a 400 calorie meal and don’t beat yourself up you must eat and occasionally or more than occasionally you need to eat out. Best of luck to you!
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Bojangles...

....yes I said Bojangles.

Roasted chicken bites and cajun pinto beans. Less than 400 calories and 42 grams of protein and there's usually leftovers.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    If I have to get fast food, maybe during a road trip, I look for chicken nuggets or strips. You can find them anywhere, and it's decent protein without overloading calories. Just avoid french fries, regular soda, and breads. Meat only!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    As long as you can access the nutritional information online you should be able to select SOMETHING that fits your daily intake at most restaurants. Given that it's going to be a once-in-a-while thing, I wouldn't concern yourself with anything other than fitting it into your calorie/macro totals.

That being said, my #1 choice is Chipotle because:

1) It tastes great
    2) They have a calc on-line here:
    http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutrition_calculator/nutrition_calculator.aspx
    3) I can customize according to my macro room for the day.

Typically I get a burrito bowl with double-chicken.

This...chipotle is the bomb.

I am in the UK we don't have this *sigh*

our Take aways choices are pretty much

Pizza
    Fish and Chips
    Kebabs
    Indian Food
    Chinese Food
    KFC

That's it. In a city I bet it's easier to pick up healthier fast food.

I live in the UK and I have loads more options than that list - but I am in a city. In a small town those probably are the standard.

You're forgetting cafes though - most UK towns have one on every corner where you can get sandwiches, wraps, baked potatoes, salads, fruit, yoghurt etc. And there are supermarkets and corner shops everywhere and they always do that stuff too - even Boots do and they're a chemist!
  • proudmommaof5
    proudmommaof5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say subway :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    For better or worse, a Chipotle has settled in just around the corner from me. Within easy walking distance.

I've actually found this to be the the best option I have for fast food, with honest ingredients and humane produce. A burrito bowl is usually about 500-600 calories, but nutritious, not just empty calories like Subway.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/nutritional_information/nutritional_information.aspx
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Subway turkey melt with swiss cheese and light mayo on flatbread 390, yum
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Two slices of thin and cripsy pizza at Domino's will set you back 310 calories. (For ham and pineapple, no less!)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread or Humdinger's
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    i live off subway during the week..... you can get lots of different subs for 280-400 cals if you cut out the cheese and fatty dressings :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Subway needs to start offering lettuce leaves instead of bread. I'd totally order a 6 inch turkey on lettuce.

AGREED!! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread or Humdinger's

Check calories on Panera... They have some good choices, they've also got 1000+ calorie sandwiches
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Get the sandwich, grilled not fried, skip the fries and the shake. And work out extra later =)
  • Opha30
    Opha30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In a pinch I get a vegetable eggwhite flatbread from Dunkin Donuts. Unlike other fastfood places they serve breakfast sandwiches all the time, and the flatbread is only 280 calories with 19 grams of protein and 6 g of fat (per their website).
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like the Subway breakfast melts for lunch. I do the Egg White on flatbread, with no cheese and spinach, tomato, and green peppers. It's around 220 without cheese, and 300 with cheese. Add apples and a no-calorie drink for under 400.

Bojangles - Grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo and a side of green beans - this is around 410 calories and very filling.

Wendy's - Small chili and side salad is about 280 calories if you do not use dressing.

McDonald's has an entire menu under 400 calories. Might not be something you want to do everyday, but it's very possible to keep calories in check in these restaurants. Oh, and I know it is chock FULL of sugar, but their blueberry oatmeal is good, comes in around 280 cals and is also very filling (and even with the sugar it's better than fries and big mac)
  • kathijen
    kathijen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the Wendy's berry almond chicken salad. It's delicious.
    Also, Subway is always a good choice for Real Food.
    Good luck!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Wendy's - Small chili and side salad is about 280 calories if you do not use dressing.

^This. Not only low in calories but also high in protein and fiber
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this applies to the OP but here are my choices for those of you who have these options in your area:

Moe's Southwest- Jr Homewrecker on whole wheat tortilla with chicken, black beans, cheese, pico, sour cream, lettuce and guac 573 calories for a good sized burrito and VERY filling. SKIP THE CHIPS! Also, stay away from Moe's salads. Extras can add up and they're large in size. Moe's does use fresh, quality ingredients with no added preservatives, rBGH, steroids, or MSG. Here's a link to their nutrition calculator:

http://www.moes.com/food/nutrition/calculator/

Taco Bell- Chicken Gordita Supreme 270 cals
    Chicken Fresco Soft Taco 150 cals, I add sour cream for an additional 45

http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/information

Wendys - Half Baja Salad 280 cals without dressing and tortilla strips. I add half pack of red jalapeno dressing for an additional 50

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/nutrition.pdf

Chick-fil-a - I have to go all out if I go this route. I go with the original chicken sandwich deluxe with light mayo for 540 calories, you can take off the cheese for even less, but SKIP THE WAFFLE FRIES! Switch the chicken to chargrilled, no cheese for only 330 calories including the light mayo

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Meal click the meal calculator tab
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Also, Little Caesars thin crust cheese pizza at 148 calories/slice