How Often do you Weigh Yourself?

Options

Replies

• WishfulShrinking331
    Options
    I weigh everyday too, I need to for piece of mind. If I'm gaining any weight I want to know in enough time that I can stop the problem
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Once a week - change does not happen overnight so why weigh yourself after every night? Of course you're going to be disappointed.
    I weigh daily and if I am eating right and exercising I am RARELY disappointed, and if i am upset by the result it is because the number didn't move....so I do prefer to weigh daily...but it's a personal choice (no right or wrong answer)
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh in once per week, but sometimes I also see a water gain, food gain, etc...especially after the end of August where I was not able to work out and ate like crap for a few weeks due to vacations, family trips...etc...

What I have been doing is weighing myself daily but ONLY logging the weight on my official self imposed weigh in day - Thursday each week. I log it, even if it's gone up...just because it reminds me to get my act together and keep focused!
  • NdBuk
    NdBuk Posts: 25
    Options
    Once a week at pretty much the same time. Saturday morning, after the loo and before breakfast. Wearing nothing (For consistency, honest!).

Saves getting hung up on daily fluctuations. I run to work and back most weekdays and eat a lot more on those days to compensate so probably would weigh heaver.

Also, daily weighing? couldn't be ar$ed to be honest. That time is better spent preparing something decent for lunch...
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I find I weigh myself daily, but im going to change that to every Saturday now.
  • LizziDouglas
    Options
    last year I lost 7 stone, I weighed myself every day (I tend to get addicted to things) I stopped weighing myself and have put 21lb back on... I decide 3 days ago I am gonna shift this extra weight and hopefully another 14lb on top. I too chart my weight. My exercise was toning tables I lost 51" but at the moment I'm not well enough to go back to the toning tables.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning and pretty much every night as well. I've lost over 40 pounds now, so the normal fluctuations don't bother me b/c I am 40 pounds less than I was in February and 40 pounds less than I would be if I weren't eating better and exercising. The fluctuations do intrigue me and for the most part, I know why I went up a pound or two in a day. I know better than to think that the water weight on the scale is going to stay with me so it's all right. I am sure once I get closer to goal and the weight is harder to lose, I may have to change to once every three days or something, but that's still another 40 pounds away.

But any weight loss (or gain) isn't "official" until Wednesday when I log the new weight into MFP.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much every day. I also use a 7 point caliper measurement and a tape measure as well as giving my self a good hard look in the mirror (and I generally like what I see). I've been lifting for about the past two months, so I also use my BF% from the caliper measurement along with my daily weight to calculate my lean body mass, also almost every day. There is a lot of up and down, but in general, I've been seeing that lean body mass go up, which is what I want to see right now.
  • trs80
    trs80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    daily - I don't get discouraged for up 1/2 lb or excited down 1/2 lb. because I know it's normal.

I chart what I eat and like to see if there is a pattern of foods that I eat that consistently causes
    my weight to go up.

I really only pay attention if the pattern is consistently going up.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I weigh myself every day so that I can get a feel for what my average or true weight is for the week. There are fluctuations higher and lower, but I'm trying to see if that zig-zag line is generally going down.
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    I weigh every day and log once a week. Works for me.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I weigh everyday and Friday's my official weigh in day. The last friday in the month, I take my measurements, body fat % and a progress photo to add to my album. Although I lost 8 pounds last month and then I went up 3 pounds the next morning. WTF? :(
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I weigh everyday just because I like to know that all my hard work of eating and exercising is paying off. Even if there is a gain or loss daily.
  • MrsAnderson85
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I like to take note of the results from the prior days eating. I "track" my weight weekly, however.
  • AlieBalie
    AlieBalie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It changes for me...if I am in an unhealthy mindset I try to curb it to once a week or less. Otherwise I will do it everyday. My body doesn't tend to fluxuate. I'd be 240 for days and suddenly 238.8, then another drop several days/week later. So if it keeps rising its usually I'm doing something wrong--too much sodium, wine, etc
  • Klima
    Klima Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do once a week at the same time in the morning using the same scale. Everything else will just drive you batty.
  • EclipseSong
    Options
    I use wii fit and it weighs me daily with my daily body test.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Last time I weighed myself was sometime in July
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same day, same time on that day. First thing in the morning, after you hit the bathroom and before you eat anything is best.

I too am guilty of checking it between real weigh-ins, just out of curiosity. The trick is DON'T get frustrated or freaked out when you see those fluctuations. They are totally normal and expected. That's why they tell you to only weigh once a week, so that you don't get upset at that.

Here are some tips I found for a successful weigh-in:
    -Weigh first thing in the AM, after you go to the bathroom, naked if possible
    -Take an epsom salt bath the night before (it helps reduce the lactic acid from working out, which can cause some water retention and muscle swelling)
    -Stop drinking water 9 hours before your weigh in.

Hope this helps!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I log my weight weekly, but I do hop on the scale every morning...just for information, really... I don't cry or beat myself up if it is not a number I am happy with...idk why. I won't stop, and I don't think it is bad that I do it. I just like seeing a number every morning.