How slow is too slow for C25K

Options
I started C25K today and I'm proud to say I completed the entire 30 minutes. I was a sweaty, thought my lungs would explode, red in the face mess, but I completed it. I'm just wondering if I did it at too slow of a pace that might set me up for failure and not being able to complete the whole program. I'm pretty sure it's going to take me longer than the 9 weeks, but I just want to finish.

Here's what I did: I did it on the treadmill with the incline set at .5% for the entire time. Warm-up was at 3.2 MPH, walking parts were at 3.5 MPH and the jogging/running parts were at 5 MPH, cool-down was 2 minutes at 3 MPH and 3 minutes at 2.5 MPH.

Any and all advice or opinions are welcome. I really want to complete this program.

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    If you can complete the intervals in a jogging motion, then you are not too slow.
    When I started the C25K program, my walking intervals were faster than my jogging ones. This is why I prefer running outside, so I am listening to my body rather than watching the treadmill's clock or pace setting.
    Do what you can do at a pace you are comfortable doing it at.... that is all the program requires.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was a sweaty, thought my lungs would explode, red in the face mess, but I completed it. I'm just wondering if I did it at too slow of a pace that might set me up for failure and not being able to complete the whole program.

If you are feeling like your lungs are going to explode and you are a red faced mess on the first day of C25k then I posit that you are actually going too fast.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Everyone can't run at the same pace. If you feel like you can maintain that kinds of speed, go for it! But if you are having troubles, slow it down a bit. You can work on speed later. Get the endurance down.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Too slow? No such thing! I was thrilled when I broke under a 20 minute mile! I'm now averaging a blisteringly fast 15 minute mile after finishing the C25K. First 5K next Saturday - I'll be beyond ecstatic to 1. finish it, and 2. finish it in 45 minutes or less.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Theres no such thing as to slow,

Just think the slower you a now, the more chance for improvement you have.

We all start at our own pace, some start slower than others, it doesn't matter. What matters is you're lapping everyone sitting on the couch.
    :laugh:
  • girlplantsgarden
    Options
    Don't worry about the speed, as long as you find a good rhythm that works for you. You can increase speed later when you work up to it and you're ready for a more challenging workout. Also, try doing it without the incline and see if you get through it without the lungs burning. Welcome to running!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When you are still sitting on the couch - you're going too slow.

I agree with previous poster... go at whatever pace makes you comfortable. I still cannot do a 5K in 30 minutes and I've been running for 6 years. I've just focused on endurance and distance. The rest will come with time.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    if you are standing still you aregoing to slow other wise... you are doing GREAT
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't go too fast, my first week has given me shinsplints and kind of hesitant to continue with the program :(
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving, that is good! The only thing too slow is not doing it at all.

Good luck!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* i average a 17 to 20 min mile doing the intervals but i run outside and just check the averages at the end of my run
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im doing 3.4/3.5 and 4.8/5.0...dont worry about speed just keep going even if you have to slow down..its not a race!!!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
    I am often asked how fast you should run and walk on the treadmill. The answer is that you should run as slowly as possible. In fact, if you can run more slowly, you are probably running too fast. Speed will come over time (after you have finished the program). With the walking, just walk at a nice brisk pace.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You are going way faster than I did when I started. The first few weeks I walked at 3.2mph and ran at 4.2 mph. I found that I could run at 5.0-5.2 comfortably for 1-2 minutes but I was not able to sustain that speed throughout the duration as the running parts got longer. At 4.2 I could run longer, which was my primary goal.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You're golden! Seriously!!

Keep at it!!!

I've completed the C25K, and I'm now training for my first half marathon (in Disneyland, eeee!) I'm not much faster than that. In fact. I still run right about 5mph, my walking has sped up a bit, but that's all.

The only time to be concerned with speed is if you WANT to go faster. But if you're more interested in distance and endurance... the speed you're at will get you there!
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you did Great! keep it up!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I do it outside so it is a little different for me, but I essentially walk as fast as I can without jogging and jog as slow as I can without walking.
    I am repeating weeks when I am unable to complete day one of the new week then I go back and repeat the previous week.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Don't go too fast, my first week has given me shinsplints and kind of hesitant to continue with the program :(

I had the same problem my first couple times attempting to run (I did a variation of C25K). Try googling "shin splint exercises," getting fitted for proper running shoes, slowing it down, and taking more walking breaks if necessary. Ice your shins and use a foam roller or massager if you have one.

Good luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too slow when you are just starting out, i think. Go at your own pace, and pay attention to your body. I think that if your face was red and lungs felt like they wanted to explode, you are not going too slow.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I started C25K with my "runs" at 4.0! :ohwell: