Cravings: Are they real or an excuse?

Options
I see an awful lot of discussion about cravings on the forums, and I can honestly say I have no clue what people are talking about. I've never been pregnant, so let's exclude pregnancy cravings from this as I have no room to comment on those. I'm asking about the cravings that the folks here keep saying they have while trying to lose weight. They seem to imply that this is some sort of spontaneous and overwhelming physiological drive, and I tend to lean toward it being an excuse.

Thoughts? Do I just not understand what people are talking about?

Replies

• amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know if they are "real" or not. What I do know is that when I THINK about eating something bad or unhealthy, then it consumes my thoughts.
  • shan1204
    Options
    I don't think any of us would be on here if we didn't suffer from some sort of craving - whether that be to eat too much or a specific thing or merely to sit on our bums and do nothing.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My obstetrician told me that when we have you have a craving, stop and think about what the thing you're craving contains. Sometimes, your brain will "trick" you into taking in something your body needs, but you are not providing yourself. She told me this when I was telling her that during my 1st pregnancy I was having cravings everyday for popsicles.

In January. In Vermont.

She told me that likely my body was calling for water, which I pretty much refused to drink, left to my own devices. So my brain was making an end run around my will, and getting me to take in something more palatable to me at the time.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There's several links that generally get posted when this type of topic comes up. There ARE legitimate cravings--just because you don't have it doesn't mean it's an "excuse" (remember, you are not the rest of the world; anecdotal evidence is just that... an anecdote). Hell, there's a psychological condition called pica where people crave odd things (clay, ice, copper, etc.). People who suffer from this are definitely not "using excuses" for anything.

So, aside from that. Cravings for food when there is no hunger present are generally emotional cravings. However, when someone is hungry and finds themselves specifically jonesing for a type of food, it could be a sign of a deficiency. For example, craving beans, refriend beans, baked beans, etc. around the time of the month for a woman may be a sign of low iron.

I've craved pretty crazy things before, not always "bad" foods. When I was craving broccoli like crazy, it turned out I was calcium deficient.

Here's a quick link for, "If you're craving this, this is what you could be deficient in:"
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/9WV687/www.2ndwindbodyscience.com/what%2520your%2520food.php

Thanks for passing judgment on something you clearly had no knowledge on ;) Sounds like you posted this less for answers than for a ****show.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For me when I crave something specific It's usually just an excuse. Like a specific meal from my favorite restaurant...I feel like i'm craving it b/c it crossed my mind and I for some reason fixated on it.

However, when I crave something less specific like "something salty" I feel like maybe my body is needing the sodium. If it was just salt I'd probably dismiss this too but sometimes I crave broccoli or a big salad and in my mind it's the green that seems yummy I feel like my mind can't be making that up! lol
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    True cravings are few and far between for me. Even when I allow myself to succomb to the craving, I know I need to be careful. That is where water comes in handy for me. Lke tonight, I truly craved homemade tomato soup... I havent had that in so long.. so I made sure it was filled with fresh vegetables, fresh chicken, and freshly grated parmesan on top. I took care of the craving by starting with an 8oz glass of water first, and then sat down to my soup.... ohhhhhh it was so damn good!!!! And Im not stuffed, but Im definitely 'content'... I have plenty for tomorrow's lunch at work too! I probably wont crave it until the middle of winter - and New Hampshire will definitely have a winter for sure! LOL!

An excuse would be the classic "Ill start my diet again tomorrow" or "Monday", or "its only just this one time"... or whatever else you want to add to the pot of excuses. "Ohhh, I got home so late, this is all I had and I didnt want to cook anything"... ohhhh if I had a nickle every time I hear that from people...
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think people really have cravings, but ultimately the person is responsible for what goes in his/her mouth.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on what it is.......like me when i crave chips its becaus they happen to be my most favorite snack and i miss it. but if its something healthy then its something ur body is telling u u need. . my mother in law told me once she was craving greens and that it was her body telling her she needed some iron. lol and this is a pregnancy craving i had when i was pregnant but i think it still kinda counts.... i craved milk when i got pregnant i had not drank milk in 4 yrs........i got pregnant my body told me i needed the calcium to help wthe pregnancy........geeze i couldn't get enough milk.... like i said i think it depends on what ur craving....whether ur craving junk food or if ur craving something good for u..........does that make sense? ad this is just my opinion
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I see an awful lot of discussion about cravings on the forums, and I can honestly say I have no clue what people are talking about. I've never been pregnant, so let's exclude pregnancy cravings from this as I have no room to comment on those. I'm asking about the cravings that the folks here keep saying they have while trying to lose weight. They seem to imply that this is some sort of spontaneous and overwhelming physiological drive, and I tend to lean toward it being an excuse.

Thoughts? Do I just not understand what people are talking about?

I have noticed people that are going overboard in restrictions do that a lot I eat when I am hungery I have food always on me so that I can never use that excuse and I drink lots of water and try and get plenty of sleep. Did you know not getting 7-8 hours of sleep will cause you to crave sugar?? ( well according to women's health magazine)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am "craving" lollies (candy) right now.

I know that it's because every day when I walk in and out of my kitchen at work to make lunch or a cup of tea (i have a lot of tea) I walk past a box of lollies, chocolate bars etc.

I know that if that box wasn't there I wouldn't be wanting it so bad right now!! But it's there, and I do :-(
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I legitimately crave peanut butter whenever my blood sugar gets low....it really makes NO sense since there is little/no carbohydrate sugar in peanut butter...but it is the first and only thing I can think about when my sugar is low.
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I have a craving, I have a strange trick to beat it. I actually think about the food I'm craving constantly I keep projecting the image and smell of the food into my mind until the craving becomes less intense. I came up with this trick as people with obsessive compulsive disorder do the same thing. :laugh:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If my craving leads me to eat something healthy, I like to follow those cues.
    It the craving leads to counterproductive eating, then I'm gonna have to fight that.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Cravings are real, acting upon them is an excuse in my experience. how we comfort ourselves is a learned activity, and we can unlearn old comforting activities and learn new ones.

Just my honest opinion on myself. I broke my 53 year old bread addiction this year. Haven't had bread, pasta, potatoes or rice since december 2011. Still think they are great foods and can be good for you. I just go into over drive when I eat them, so I have to get my carbs some other way. It works for me in 2012!
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My naturopath told me that when our bodies are sensitive to foods, they can affect the opiate centers in our brains and cause a very real addiction, with subsequent cravings. I have a gluten and sugar sensitivity and I crave both of these very intensely and almost constantly. The longer I go without these foods, the less the cravings. But the first week getting off of them is hell. And both ingredients are in so many foods that they can be very hard to avoid. I still don't use that as an excuse though. Ultimately, it is my choice what I keep in my house and what I eat.
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    Right now I'm cravin fresh baked salmon I've been craving it a while now and frozen just isn't cutting it. I don't know why but I can tell you I get cravings for real and isn't an excuse for me but at the same time when you are craving bad foods it's about will power and stopping yourself eating these things. I usually find keeping myself topped up on water helps but I'm having salmon tomorrow and I literally can't wait. luckily this is not an unhealthy craving but some times it's very difficult to control these feelings. It's just mind over matter most the time.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Both.

I crave a lot of stuff, that doesn't mean I eat it.

Cravings are totally natural and often a sign that your body is wanting something specific that it can get from that particular food item. (or just that you have amazing restaurants and food trucks around your area and a chicken and waffle burrito or a lobster roll are items sent from heaven themselves to please your taste buds).

But it's all about personal will power and self control to not give in to the cravings in such a way that it will affect your diet. It doesn't mean deny yourself, but you should also be reasonable about how you calm the craving.

Like, if a person is craving chicken and waffles, that doesn't mean head to the nearest soul food place and chow down. Maybe make some super tasty, home made, high protein waffles with some oven baked breaded chicken breast to get the same flavors and satisfaction without all of the extra fat and calories. (can you tell what I made for dinner on Monday? heh)
  • samarlove
    Options
    I've read that cravings only last about 5 mins lol so I would say if people have cravings find healthy alternatives to your sweet and salty cravings theres a lot of things out there!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Cravings are real, giving into them because they are cravings is an excuse
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    It is a real thing. Sometimes it could easily be used as an excuse, but it is a real thing. If you wanted to lose weight and knew the things to eat, and there wasn't such a thing as cravings, I think there would be a hell of a lot less fat people on this planet. If there were no cravings, losing weight would be EASY. But it's not, because we are addicted to the foods we eat and therefore when we try to cut them out or lessen them, we crave them. Food is an addiction. You can turn that addiction into a good thing by making yourself crave good foods, which is possible. But it can easily be turned into a very bad addiction and it's the reason why so many people are fat.