Bored without Alcohol?

Options

Replies

• ItsTheBeebs
    Options
    Me and my friends have a saying
    "only boring people get bored"
    basically you need to motivate yourself to do something else to take your mind away from the boredom.

If you are relying on alcohol to give you something to do them you really do need to go out more!

I have not had a drop of alcohol in 3 weeks and am yet to be bored from not drinking, even been out twice and been the designated driver. You make your own fun don't rely on a drug to make it for you.

Just my opinion on the matter
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    I thought I would be the same as I drank every night. I am loving it though, I have more energy, my thinking is clearer, I am more focused, in fact I am less bored without alcohol. When I was drinking nothing was fun without it but now I am not, things just seem a whole lot better.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    AS the wife of an alcoholic, some of you guys need to evaluate why only booze fills that empty spot in you. One of the definitions of an alcoholic is not being able to stop. You keep drinking even when that is not your plan. What fun is in getting so drunk you have no idea what you are doing. The next day you say boy that was fun! but you can't really remember what was fun.

I honestly feel like this isn't even a real response. If you're truly close to an alcoholic, you know that an addiction is FAR different than someone who enjoys the TASTE of alcohol. The "WOO GETTING DRUNK" people are JOKING, and even if they ALL aren't joking, once in awhile is much less an issue than constantly.

I highly, highly doubt you truly have had to care for an alcoholic (I have), not that it matters since it's the internet and you can say whatever the **** you want. So I'm sure you'll have a response. But it sounds like you're passing judgement on others behaviors that may be fine and healthy for them (say, you know, just drinking occasionally or socially). Are you the prude straight edge kid who stands in the corner talking **** because they're insecure? If you don't choose to drink, that's fine. But you don't need to preach to those who do. "Definition of alcoholic is someone who can't stop"... yeah, someone who cannot FUNCTION because of alcohol. DIETING and than wanting a beer or wine at night is HARDLY an alcoholic. By that note, all dieters who want a small candy bar or cookie at the end of the day are binge eaters.

God, people like you are why we had Prohibition, or why marijuana is still illegal in so many countries. You are judging a wide variety of people off information you don't even fully understand.

I don't think she was being judgmental. Her response would fit perfectly with what I said about wanting to drink for days and using up 1,000+ calories on booze instead of healthy food. That IS risky, unhealthy behavior.

I doubt she meant any harm in what she said and wasn't referring to the people in this thread who talked about enjoying a night out with friends or a glass of wine.

Maybe you're the one being too judgmental. Why play tit for tat about whose loved one is a "real" alcoholic and whose isn't? You don't know her story at all.

Lol actually I just read through her posts, and she has quite a few different stories she puts in other topics... and I will definitely judge someone that judges without information. My judgement wasn't on her story as much as her words. Nice try ;)

I didn't "try" anything. How was I to know she has different stories (according to you)? I was only taking her at face value. No need to be sarcastic with me. I've done nothing to you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like this isn't even a real response. If you're truly close to an alcoholic, you know that an addiction is FAR different than someone who enjoys the TASTE of alcohol. The "WOO GETTING DRUNK" people are JOKING, and even if they ALL aren't joking, once in awhile is much less an issue than constantly.

I highly, highly doubt you truly have had to care for an alcoholic (I have), not that it matters since it's the internet and you can say whatever the **** you want. So I'm sure you'll have a response. But it sounds like you're passing judgement on others behaviors that may be fine and healthy for them (say, you know, just drinking occasionally or socially). Are you the prude straight edge kid who stands in the corner talking **** because they're insecure? If you don't choose to drink, that's fine. But you don't need to preach to those who do. "Definition of alcoholic is someone who can't stop"... yeah, someone who cannot FUNCTION because of alcohol. DIETING and than wanting a beer or wine at night is HARDLY an alcoholic. By that note, all dieters who want a small candy bar or cookie at the end of the day are binge eaters.

God, people like you are why we had Prohibition, or why marijuana is still illegal in so many countries. You are judging a wide variety of people off information you don't even fully understand.

Hmmm, it seems that alcohol is making you unnecessarily aggressive.

You may want to consider cutting back a bit. ;)
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just realized that even the occasional glass of wine or tequila causes me to crave sweets. So now I am just quitting all together because my body just reacts to where I end up eating sweets cause the cravings are so bad.

I have never been a big drinker so I am not bored without it, but I would like to have an occasional drink. :mad:
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I still drink socially. I just eat lighter meals or workout more on those days.
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I still drink. If you want a beer or glass of wine fit it in! We all deserve it for all of our hard work. We are human and temptation is going to get us one time and another, so you might as well do what you do with your healthy lifestyle included ;)
  • jesjosep
    Options
    I think you should never NEED alcohol to have fun. I like to drink, don't get me wrong, but I have had plenty of weekends where I have had fun while sober. The reason people think they "need" alcohol to have fun is purely socially constructed. If you can, try to get into your head that the same activities you do with alcohol, are also fun without alcohol. If you can wrap your head around that you won't feel so stressed out about this issue.

As for calculating the drinks into your diet, if you know you are going to go out later, plan for it. Either eat lower calorie foods that day, or workout extra. I am going out tonight and left room in my calories to have plenty of fun with alcohol. It's all about moderation, but in the end you need to do what is best for you and your body.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I gave it up during weekdays (mon-thurs), which was a transition, but a good one! I got a soda water maker, and usually do that with some sort of fruit or flavor, or tea to have something "special" when I get home. I refuse to give up alcohol completely. On the weekends, I am a lot more active, so it is usually pretty easy to fit it into my cals. If not, I go over. Weight loss/maintenance is a lifestyle change, not a sprint. So unless you really want to give it up forever, I wouldn't now. That will just be one more reason to quit.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Hmmm, it seems that alcohol is making you unnecessarily aggressive.

You may want to consider cutting back a bit. ;)

I think a drink would help more than hurt at this point!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    In the morning madam you shall still be ugly, but I shall be sober.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I still drink. I just changed what I drink. I went from cider to vodka and soda water, and its really made a difference. I'm losing weight pretty well with it.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I drink about once a year. Need to unwind? Try yoga. Out with friends? Try club soda with lime.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I still drink. If you are dieting and depriving yourself of somethng you want, you wont continue you this path very long. I keep the drinking to the minimum for the weekends or a glass of wine with dinner, but I make sure to reduce my calorie intake to have it and exercise extra. Its all about balance :)
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a "Diet" for me - it's a life change, lifestyle change... I'm re learning how to eat and exercise correctly (and I am loving it!).
    I still drink, often, not every night, and not every time do I get plastered, but sometimes I drink too much... but I factor that into my cals and go from there... I don't save cals to drink though... I would have an extra couple of walks that week, or whatnot to cover such instances of boozing.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    anchorman-scotch.gif

This! I love scotch and I love Sons!

Currently though I'm having some wine. I work out hard and it's nice to sit and relax with a few beers or what have you. The day after drinking too much used to be a problem but not so much anymore. Just last night I had way too much because I got carried away watching the first game of football season (I absolutely LOVE football) with my fiancé. Definitely felt it today but now instead of eating not so healthy stuff I hop on my stationary bike for a nice long ride because after a good sweat I feel great and I'm still losing weight =]
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I still drink, but I'm a social binge drinker, so it's confined to once or twice a week. I'm trying to stop with the binge part but once I've had a few drinks, a few more always sounds like a great idea...
  • helper3
    helper3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke or light beer.
  • SkinnyBPW
    Options
    I like my alcohol, yet that is the reason why I have gained 30 pounds since high school, now aged 23 years. I created a great drink this summer that only has calories from the alchol--2 qt crystal light mojito, fresh juice of 3 limes, club soda, and pineapple rum. I still drink by always try to include it in my food log. It's amazing to see how many calories some of the alcoholic beverages actually have in them!
  • jrwatson87
    Options
    totally agree with this topic!! Alcohol is my diet downfall