Rottweiller

Options

Replies

• eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have no idea the cost, and I'm big on rescue and adoption, BUT... If I were going to get a dog from a breeder, I'd look for one that shows the dogs, has them registered with AKC, has the parents tested for congenital defects like hips, eyes and any other breed specific problems, and has a laundry list of requirements for new owners.

If I buy a dog, I want to be sure they breeders are making an effort to better the breed, and aren't just looking to make a buck of their poochies.

Good breeders are usually involved in rescue, too. My Peke is a rescue, but the president of the rescue group, and his foster mom, is a breeder who shows dogs, too.

Well said!
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pet insurance...20-or so bucks a month. I am a veterinarian and I see a lot of people who love their pets and want to help them...and many times, they can afford to do so because they invested in health insurance for their pet.

Can you recommend an insurance company? For ME. For my 10 year old mutt? Is it too late?? I think we're at the point she will inevitably have health problems.

There's your answer!

www.gopetplan.com. I have all five of my pets insured, and they have absolutely terrific customer service. Check their website for free quotes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't get one from a shelter, she is a horrible person who hates animals and kicks babies for fun.

Who wants a puppy, anyway? All they do is breath crap-breath all over you, eat your house, and poo everywhere. Why not a nice, younger adult who would really appreciate your friend literally saving them from being killed by some college dropout in a lab coat?

THINK OF OF THE POOR ANIMALS!

This guy is an idiot!

Methinks someone didn't get the joke... you'd think Jesus' avatar having a DOG in it would have made it easier to get ;)
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I bought my Great Dane about four years ago from a pet store, and I paid $600 for her. I believe you pay less for males. I'm trusting that she has purchased a pure bred before, and knows that at least one of the parents should be on site to inspect. And to ask about the history of the parents - hip dysplasia, thyroid disease, heart disease, etc. Nothing sucks more than getting a pure bred then having to put it down within its first year because the parents have been over-bred.

If she wants one unpapered, it will be less. Dogs that are papered through the AKC are a lot more expensive.

Good luck to your friend and her new beginning. I totally understand why she wants a puppy, and why she is doing this.

And before anyone jumps me, I have not only rescued about 10 cats (and kept them) over the course of the past 20 years, but I have fostered about 10 times that. Used to work at my local humane society. But some people simply prefer a specific breed, and some don't want adults. I usually tell people to adopt, but if they are set on buying, then it's important to make an informed decision.

Plan on spending between $600-$1,000 on a pure bred.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    First of all, if you can't afford the dog itself, it's not a great idea to own a dog period. Second, ADOPT. Dogs are put down daily due to people who 'buy' dogs.

This. Over 9 million dogs and cats were put down last year because no one wanted them. I won't accept breeders as clients. I work with dogs and do rescue. Breeders are only in it for the money. Anyone who wants to buy a dog needs to volunteer with a few shelters and rescues and see how many of those dogs end up being killed or have puppies that end up dumped.

Sorry, but in my line of work it's the most horrible thing a person can do. I'm one of the people cleaning up the mess and saving as many lives as I can because of breeders.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Rottweilers are prone to some pretty horrible genetic problems and breeders are out to make a buck. I'd be hesitant to trust one.

Also I have to say, I'm an ER vet tech. It's horrible, frustrating, and heart breaking when a puupy has to be euthanized because the owner spent $2500 on the puppy and can't afford to treat for parvo/hit by car/ pnuemonia, etc. Save a life and money. Rescue a healthy dog from a shelter. Life never goes as planned.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    um, check a shelter first! adopting is the way to go - do a good thing, save a ton of money.

Also, I have to say, if they can't afford to buy a dog *I don't believe in buying animals anyways* but can they afford to TAKE CARE OF THE PET?!
    THIS!!!
    Buying it is the cheapest part of owning a dog. Not surprised if a couple months later that dog won't end up in the shelter (pure breed or not if you can't afford a dog you can't keep it alive!)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Ok, our friend Is getting divorced and wants a Rott but can't afford it, so we're (4 of us) starting a fund to give her on her next birthday in August 2013. Can anyone give me the ballpark for a reputable bred, not champion, but healthy Rott? $1800, $2400, etc?? Google is allll over the map on this...

Spca. Or a rotty rescue. Lots if awesome dogs from shelters. Lots
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    i wouldnt recommend getting her a dog at all. if she cant afford to buy it how is she going to afford to care for it.....vet bills(vaccines, sick visits, preventatives, spay/neuter), food, and so on? i dont mean to be debbie downer but this is how pets become homeless.
  • devenssort12
    devenssort12 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    great point! get a cat not a rottweiller! I raise german bloodline boxers with that said yiu need to spend a lot of time an money with these type's of breeds! They need a lot of exercise and training. If she can't afford to buy one do get one. Food an supplements are expensive. Good luck
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you can't afford the dog itself, it's not a great idea to own a dog period. Second, ADOPT. Dogs are put down daily due to people who 'buy' dogs.

Key part...

First part...

If you cannot afford one dont buy one... if you cant pay the 1500 to buy the thing... you cannot pay the 1500 when it needs a medical procedure to save its life... or afford its food and all the other stuff it takes to master a breed like a rottweiller...

but no you will get her the dog... she will like it the first week realize its a responsibility and want to get rid of it and feel like its a burden and it will end up at a shelter...

Or ,,, best case scenario she loves it its great... but the first medical need and the dog is given away....

Dogs... mans best friend...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    please get it from a rescue organization!! :(
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Please don't buy a dog. RESCUE A DOG.

**Edited to add**

there's probably rottie rescue organizations! check around! also, make sure she has a plan on how she's going to keep the dog. adopting is one thing, affording its upkeep, quite another.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Another thread proving yet again that reading comprehension is at an all time low.
    You should be able to get contacts in your area for reputable breeders through the AKC. A pure bread rott is going to run anywhere between 500 and 2k$ depending on location, blood lines and all that. I know that's a huge variance in price so you would probably be better off to contact a breeder and three and get prices specific to your area for a better idea.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but if she can't afford the dog how will she afford to keep it?

my thoughts exactly. the purchase is just the beginning.

rescues are a wonderful place to start looking - many folks give them up before they're 3 because they don't understand what type of dog they were buying.
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As stated by almost everyone else... I'm not convinced that you should be providing the funds for her to get the dog if she can't buy the dog herself. Pet ownership is a RESPONSIBILITY, including a financial responsibility. If she can't afford to buy the dog, she can't afford to have the dog. Simple as that. You said she already has 3 dogs? Why does she need another? And you said shes going through a divorce? My opinion is that another dog is the LAST thing she needs right now...

Edited for typo.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Are you serious? There are animals dying on the street every day. Go to a shelter. Adopt a dog. Who cares if her preference is a pure bred. You wouldn't rather save a life? Are they really THAT shallow? Haven't you ever seen Evan Almighty? One act of random kindness a day will make the world a better place. Even if its by helping a dog. Stop being shallow. Go to a shelter.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the skepticism, but I ask you to trust me that she can afford the dog, the initial costs, neuter, etc;) She could put the dog on a credit card but isn't that dumb. If the dog got an injury? She would of course charge it's vet bill to save its life. Not to me macabre, but it's a question from someone wanting to know what we should budget for a gift. Nothing else

I paid 500 for my female. AKC -pure blood lines but back yard breeder. never had one issue health wise. but her temperament is a bit iffy.

I paid 1000 for my male. Champion blood line. Within the first year he had two cherry eyes - not common at all in the breed. And his hips are bad. Of course the breeder will take him back and give me another dog - but how do I explain that to my kids? He's 4 years old now - I spend roughly 2500 a year in unexpected vet costs. But he's got that oh so wonderful "AKC Champion line" BS
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm on the ADOPT bandwagon. I don't support backyard breeding, I spend much of my time and money fostering rescue working dogs, but there are SO many more that aren't so fortunate.

If you buy from rescue the fee is lower and most often includes vaccinations, desexing and microchipping. On the other hand, a REGISTERED breeder with a fantastic background & parents on show is the ONLY other way to go.

Also, dogs aren't presents for occasions, they are companions for the length of their lives. =)
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AGREED!