Rottweiller

Options
124»

Replies

• snkoyle15
    Options
    she did state that the guy is taking the other 3 dogs. so it shouldnt be a problem for her to get one for herself. and as stated MANY times, she CAN afford the upkeep, and it may just be that she doesnt want to pay for that first chunk. if she has had other dogs then she obviously knows what it is like, money and time wise. and im sorry, but not every breeder is out for money. you can find reputable show breeders that are doing it to try to better the breed. its your back yard breeders that are out for a buck. if you were to actually talk with a show breeder, they dont really make money off of the dogs. because there is genetic testing done and all sorts of other things that they pay for that your average BYB isnt going to. so by the time they sell the dogs, they arent really making much, if anything. i do agree however that she should try to see if she can find a puppy in a shelter or rescue because they are most likely going to be cheaper. if not then just make sure to at least find a breeder that does genetic testing and actually breeds for temperament. and one that socializes would be great! and i can totally see why she may want to get it as a puppy instead of full grown. yes you have to do house training, but if you get an adult that isnt, its harder to house train them. and, i dont know about Rotts, but i have a Great Pyrenees puppy, and with this breed they can be VERY stubborn and very strong willed as adults. so you want to get them as puppies so that you can get them trained because it can be extremely difficult to do it when they are older instead. if she is fully aware of what she wants, and has done her research and REALLY knows what she is getting into, id say go for it. im sorry, im not much help as for price. you can find breeders that are registered with AKC on their website. i would start with those.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    First of all, if you can't afford the dog itself, it's not a great idea to own a dog period. Second, ADOPT. Dogs are put down daily due to people who 'buy' dogs.

This. Over 9 million dogs and cats were put down last year because no one wanted them. I won't accept breeders as clients. I work with dogs and do rescue. Breeders are only in it for the money. Anyone who wants to buy a dog needs to volunteer with a few shelters and rescues and see how many of those dogs end up being killed or have puppies that end up dumped.

Sorry, but in my line of work it's the most horrible thing a person can do. I'm one of the people cleaning up the mess and saving as many lives as I can because of breeders.

THANK YOU. Not only am I already an animal activist but I've witnessed this first hand. I volunteered at an animal shelter but hung out with the cats. But once I got a ticket and had to do community service so they sent me down to the kennel. I was washing out the dogs bowls when I seen the men take back at least fifteen dogs. The dogs were ecstatic to be out of the cages. The happiest I had seen them. Then the man told me to leave the building. Then I finally realized that they were putting the dogs to sleep. Then, they moved the truck. Oh, the truck. It was a hot day. They took it to the end of the stop sign. i could see all the bodies of the dogs. I was horrified. I cried the entire time I was there. I still have nightmares about that place. I wish I could've taken all those dogs home. To this day, I want to go down to the kennel and adopt all the dogs and find them homes myself just so I know they won't die. It was thee most traumatizing thing I ever went through.

My point is, ADOPT A DOG SO NO DOG HAS TO GO THROUGH THIS.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I bought my Great Dane about four years ago from a pet store, and I paid $600 for her. I believe you pay less for males. I'm trusting that she has purchased a pure bred before, and knows that at least one of the parents should be on site to inspect. And to ask about the history of the parents - hip dysplasia, thyroid disease, heart disease, etc. Nothing sucks more than getting a pure bred then having to put it down within its first year because the parents have been over-bred.

If she wants one unpapered, it will be less. Dogs that are papered through the AKC are a lot more expensive.

Good luck to your friend and her new beginning. I totally understand why she wants a puppy, and why she is doing this.

And before anyone jumps me, I have not only rescued about 10 cats (and kept them) over the course of the past 20 years, but I have fostered about 10 times that. Used to work at my local humane society. But some people simply prefer a specific breed, and some don't want adults. I usually tell people to adopt, but if they are set on buying, then it's important to make an informed decision.

Plan on spending between $600-$1,000 on a pure bred.

Dude, seriously? A pet store??? I always encourage adoption, but if you're going to buy, a pet store is the worst place to go. Why would you support that?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    please consider adoption from your local humane society or animal shelter. They need it so much.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A mix breed can be loved just as much as a pure bred. Unless you are in it for money, what it the point? Just more possibilities for genetic problems.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to watch a video from Yadkin County where they were putting animals into the gas chamber. It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen, and I cried the entire time. Adopting from one of those shelters would make you an angel. A lot of places will even help with transportation if the dog is out of state. That's one of the things I do for the rescue I volunteer for. Makes me sad, as much as I educate people, when they still buy a dog from a breeder.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Edit: Sorry. Not helpful to say "don't get a dog"
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    um, check a shelter first! adopting is the way to go - do a good thing, save a ton of money.

Also, I have to say, if they can't afford to buy a dog *I don't believe in buying animals anyways* but can they afford to TAKE CARE OF THE PET?!

Exactly, the cost of proper care for a pet yearly is often more than the cost of the pet itself. Please ask your friend to consider this first.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't shop, adopt!!

There are so many dogs in need of a home :(

Adopt a rotty or a rotty mix, save a life!

I totally agree!! I adopted one dog, and then we found a stray roaming the streets... they are the best dogs i've ever been around, and truly a gift to have in my life. : )
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm with almost everyone else, if she can't afford the dog now she may not be able to provide adequate care. And obviously that concerns me.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Funny I didn't see any where in the original post where it stated anything about wanting your opinion on adopting vs buying. I'm sure she is well aware of the benefits of adoption. She had a question about the purchase of a Rottweiler not your opinions and judgement on adoption vs buying. Sheesh! People need to get over themselves and just answer her question, not preach to her in judgement.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider adopting from a local (and reputable) shelter. There are sooo many dogs out there who need homes. However, if you reeeaaallly want a pure breed, then make sure you do your research and choose a local, legit breeder. Without getting into an ethical conversation, there are a ridiculous amount of illegal, puppy mill operations out there and when you buy from one, you're more than likely going to get a dog with health problems (not to mention the fact that you'd be supporting an inhumane environment for animals).

Also, try to find a dog that matches your energy level. If you're not the type of person who likes running/walking for an hour or more a day, choose a dog that doesn't require as much exercise. Bottom line is, be selective and take your time when picking out the right dog for you. :)
  • msrottie
    Options
    ummm okay - a dog can come as a present - but my questions are -
    1. after the divorce does she have the room/space a large, energetic, powerful dog needs (fenced yard)?
    2. does she have the time (on a single income) to spend to socialize said dog, and train and exercise?

and while I agree rotts are wonderful dogs, and make wonderful pets, any new mental state (divorce, grief, even a new move or new job) is not the time to get a rott, or any new dog. Those emotions in people, especially stress that all dogs pick up on can make large powerful breeds anxious and fearful, which they show by acting with aggression. In my experience dogs raised in these situations also become overly protective of the owner, so plan on living alone for the 9 - 12 years the dog will live if you are not in a good mental state when raising the dog. These dogs require the time and commitment to their health and training. If you are not balanced and stable, it isn't the time to get a new dog of ANY breed. Temperment of the parents will only take you so far, and breeds like this are screwed up by people all the time, thats why you can find them at rescues and shelters. he's too big, he's too aggressive, he doesn't listen, he ate my house, etc...

I have owned, bred, trained, & shown rotts since I was 17 -so 30 years experience, but I am no expert... in fact I still take obedience classes, and also train at home.

to answer you question, in PA you can find AKC papered rotts for $300 to $5000 - and papers do not mean perfection - they just means pure bloodlines and sometimes just pure bull sh** . be prepared for hip displasia if you do not buy from a decent breeder, it isn't detected until after year 2, and by xray, you cannot tell by looking at the puppy - the parents need to be OFA'd. Bone cancer is another thing to be aware of in this breed. Some have eye issues.

the last male that I bought ($800) had many champions in his bloodline, and is a great dog for me - but I wouldn't leave you alone in a room with him, and he never leaves my property. He has an eye issue that affects his vision in one eye, and that makes him a touchy, grumpy boy. He will not be bred, because he has a known issue, but I could have.....and you could look at him, and while I am with you he will be friendly, calm, well behaved and I could sell you a beautiful little puppy and let you go home with it....Please be careful of backyard breeders! so please - if your friend just wants a rott as a status thing - don't help her get it - but if she has done her research and is confident that this is the breed is for her - good luck and enjoy a great dog.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OK, let me clarify, once again... I shouldn't have simply said "she can't afford to buy one," but it was easier to be quick and get back to my glass of wine :) Sure, she could. But she's smart and is debt free, owns her own business, and CHOOSES not to spend the money on the Rottie at this time (ya know, lawyers, divorce, children in college, other priorites, plus, it's not the right time). That being said, it is her dream. Hers. And after 22 years of marriage and being dropped off like a bag of dirty laundry at a church doorstep at the age of six, she can have a damn Rottie if she wants. She has researched to death. This is her dog of choice. She wants a young enough puppy so they can do really intensive training and has already met with a trainer. She's incredibly active and a runner. She's owned dogs her entire life and knows what being a responsible pet owner is.

While I agree adopting or a rescue is awesome (as my "voluptuous" dog will attest to), all of her dogs have been... If she can't find a Rottie puppy at a rescue, she will go to a breeder. You can hate me or her all you'd like b/c of it :) It's ok... really :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ummm okay - a dog can come as a present - but my questions are -
    1. after the divorce does she have the room/space a large, energetic, powerful dog needs (fenced yard)?

indeed. I am, in fact, quite jealous of her yard *LOL*
    2. does she have the time (on a single income) to spend to socialize said dog, and train and exercise?

absolutely. Her children are grown and her house is 1/2 a block from her business. She's actually in an ideal situation, plus the dog can go to work with her.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Having worked at a shelter and for a vet, I know the expenses associated with pets. But it still frosts my buns when people say, "If you can't afford to buy the dog/cat/ferret/whatever, you can't afford to own it."

I couldn't afford to buy a pure bred Pekingese. So I adopted. None of my pets ever went without good food and medical care. Granted, right now, my cats are behind on their vaccinations, but they never leave the house, are all spayed/neutered, and I think a lot of vets are a little quick to stick when it comes to shots.

And I couldn't have afforded to get purebred cats, either. Or even have afforded to buy ones from a pet store. But I highly doubt my 7 rescue cats (one from the shelter when I worked there, the other former feral neighborhood strays) would have been better off with an injection of pentobarbital in their hearts, which would have been their fate at a shelter, than living happy lazy lives with me. Or do I live with them?!