WTH is up with my butt?!

Options

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    how LONG have you been doing all of this? I ask, because I too am a mom and it wasn't until recently - very recently that mine lifted. That was lunges, squats, dead lifts, leg lifts, leg presses, incline treadmill, etc etc etc. But, last November has only been 4 months of training and it was eh.... now, its been a year and I can TOTALLY see a difference and am glad I didn't stop just because I'm older and a mom, etc. So, keep at it.

^^^^This. I had to keep at it for a year before I saw real results. I'm also a mom and 40. I never thought my butt would shape up.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i know you said no videos.... but the beach body program 'Brazilian butt lift' is amazing. my butt is much higher and im starting to get a thigh gap even though im 35 lbs till my goal weight (which isnt even that low for my height)

http://buttliftworkoutreviews.com/

check out the before and after pictures!

I'm getting a lot of input for that specific video. I'll have to give it a look now! :)

For the record, I'm near maintenance now. I only have 3-8lbs left to lose :)

its pretty much all sculpting, so you wont loose that much weight with it anyway. i'm just so addicted to how my thighs and hips look. i honestly feel like this could be your solution :] if anything, its worth a try. my boyfriend has kinda become an advocate for it too haha ;] i lost 1 inch off my arms, an inch off my hips, and 2 inches off my thighs the first week. and i can tell my butt has definitely got higher. sorry i'm not done with the program yet or i would show you my before and after pics. they use different variations of squats etc but tweak them a bit so that you work out all 3 areas of the butt. its hard to explain, so i will just copy paste from the website.

TriAngle Training works the three major muscles of the buttocks: the gluteaus maximus, medius, and minimus, working them from countless angles to lift, firm, and shape the perfect behind without adding bulk to the thighs.It's all about the angles. When you work the butt muscles from multiple angles you're not only working those specific muscles, you're also working the "heads" of the muscles, the parts that attach to the pelvic bone (which provides support between the upper and lower parts of your body) and your hamstrings. This is what gives you the lift and shape that every woman wants.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20lbs now, my arms are more toned (there's definite definition in them) and my legs are the most toned thing on my body right now. (I'm a mom so I'll probably forever be working on my mid-section)

But despite the hundreds of lunges, squats, running, and donkey kicks I do... I don't feel like my butt is going back to where it once was. In my past I never had to concentrate on working on that part of my body, my job just kind of toned it itself.

What else can I do? I want to refrain from purchasing any DVDs and I've tried Googling other exercises but they all seem to say squats, lunges and the kicks are the best thing. My legs definitely have toned from them, but WHY NOT MY FRIGGIN BUTT?!

TIA

I don't have time to read all the responses, but when I worked in a gym, we used to make fun of people wanting a smaller butt while doing nothing but exercises to build it up. You're making your butt muscles bigger by doing lunges, squats, and donkey kicks. That being said, there's nothing wrong with a big butt!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20lbs now, my arms are more toned (there's definite definition in them) and my legs are the most toned thing on my body right now. (I'm a mom so I'll probably forever be working on my mid-section)

But despite the hundreds of lunges, squats, running, and donkey kicks I do... I don't feel like my butt is going back to where it once was. In my past I never had to concentrate on working on that part of my body, my job just kind of toned it itself.

What else can I do? I want to refrain from purchasing any DVDs and I've tried Googling other exercises but they all seem to say squats, lunges and the kicks are the best thing. My legs definitely have toned from them, but WHY NOT MY FRIGGIN BUTT?!

TIA

I don't have time to read all the responses, but when I worked in a gym, we used to make fun of people wanting a smaller butt while doing nothing but exercises to build it up. You're making your butt muscles bigger by doing lunges, squats, and donkey kicks. That being said, there's nothing wrong with a big butt!

I'm not trying to make it smaller :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The leg press I use at the gym says it works your butt too. I'm doing 5 sets of 10 currently with the highest weight set at 250. Does anyone else use this machine? You lay on your back on the floor idk the name of it. I'm not sure if its working my butt. I tried squats and lunged with dumbbells but not confident I'm doing it right. What is a good video or source to learn proper form that way or with a barbell or? ?? Ps sorry I'm not answering and just asking more questions
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely no help with the thread, but I just wanted to say I read the title as "WTH is up my butt?!" And it seriously made me LOL.

Actually, I'm still LOLing. So thank you :)

Me too!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

Besides missing the point of her post, you sound like a standup employee.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    how LONG have you been doing all of this? I ask, because I too am a mom and it wasn't until recently - very recently that mine lifted. That was lunges, squats, dead lifts, leg lifts, leg presses, incline treadmill, etc etc etc. But, last November has only been 4 months of training and it was eh.... now, its been a year and I can TOTALLY see a difference and am glad I didn't stop just because I'm older and a mom, etc. So, keep at it.

^^^^This. I had to keep at it for a year before I saw real results. I'm also a mom and 40. I never thought my butt would shape up.

this is the 2nd thread today that I've thought "rock on!" to your responses. Or questioned if it was my response, lol.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Besides missing the point of her post, you sound like a standup employee.

kinda what I was thinking, too... Wow. I HOPE you work in the gym I workout at. Said no one ever.... really?!? Making fun of people?
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

TIA

I'm not trying to make it smaller :)

Haha....completely misunderstood that one!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This is soooo funny! I really need to work on the *kitten* thing too! I think after kids two things deflate- the boobs and the butt....

It isnt fair!!!!

I was always told that after kids I'd have big boobs. do you know how disappointing it is to find out everyone was lying after all these years?! Jerks!

My butt isn't so much deflated (boobs are! LOL) but I am trying to beat the future by working on it now before I have kid #2. I am determined to have an insanely fit pregnancy!

Yeah, your boobs only stay big after having kids if you stay fat (or they were big before you had kids). My butt went flat, but it's nice and round again thanks to heavy weight lifting.

So* not* true! I've lost over 20 lbs and not an ounce from my boobs! :( I know before I had kids my boobs got smaller when I lost weight. I'm seriously discouraged.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd say be patient with your butt- I'm sure it will come back! :smile:
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    Reverse Long lunges and one legged squats (pistol squats)

Stairs
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges are not the answer, the op already said she does plenty of squatting.

The Glute bridge or barbell hip thrust has been shown to produce multiple times the Glute activation that either of these exercises do. If you want to hit a particular muscle, train it directly.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
  • verykristin
    Options
    Tracy Anderson Method. Don't buy the expensive Metamorphosis set, just get 30-Day Method out of the library. The book contains the workout and there's a DVD along with it that just walks you through the exercises.

NOTHING works your butt like this workout. I've never experienced anything like it, and I am no stranger to lunges and squats. This is better.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges are not the answer, the op already said she does plenty of squatting.

The Glute bridge or barbell hip thrust has been shown to produce multiple times the Glute activation that either of these exercises do. If you want to hit a particular muscle, train it directly.

I do know that barbell glute bridges worked parts of my butt that the squats & lunges didn't seem to. At least, I felt it after the workout. But I never did an experiment or anything... so I just attributed the butt lift to all of the above.
  • katiefly86
    Options
    Bump... Great thread!!
  • TashaeJanee
    Options
    When I was a kid my mom had great success doing the "butt walk" exercise, aaaaall the way back when Callinetics was the big thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAFZr2uoIk

Ok, now THAT looks interesting. Might have to try that...probably a lot harder than it looks.
  • fairestthings
    Options

Thank you! I do. I do so many squats and lunges that quite honestly if they were the "only" answer as some places claim, I would be the exception to the rule.

I am eager to find out how to implement this technique at home! Thanks :)
  • fairestthings
    Options
    Just an added note: I won't be joining a gym because we are building our own home gym -- slowly but surely. We are both very into fitness and would love to have our own gym here for our children to use as well when they're older with our supervision. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run for us.