Any atheists/agnostics out there?

Replies

• head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Tibetian Diamondway buddhist here so technicaly a non-theist.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember. When my Dad died when I was 7 his Aunt (a nun) was talking to me about how my dad was now in heaven. I thought she was crazy as can be, even at 7, even being raised with a Christian mom, and all Christian relatives. My Dad was an athest, but I didn't learn that about him until I was a teen. I have just never believed in any kind of higher power.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Why would someone want to discuss their atheism? Isn't it pointless?

Unless you're referring to anti-theists.

On that I totally agree. Unless we're talking about a good theological debate between adults who can keep it civil, then it can be quite enjoyable and even fascinating.

I claimed to be an atheist most of my life. Up until recently in fact when I had to change to more of an agnostic. Not because I think there is a chance of some all powerful deity in the sky, but because I don't know for sure that there isn't something. And I can accept that I don't know what or where we came from.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    I don't believe in God :)

I follow the Wiccan Rede...but a 'God' seem silly to me

Very much the same here. Consider myself an atheist but practice Witchcraft as a way of life - not necessarily a religion.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Why would someone want to discuss their atheism? Isn't it pointless?

Unless you're referring to anti-theists.

On that I totally agree. Unless we're talking about a good theological debate between adults who can keep it civil, then it can be quite enjoyable and even fascinating.

I claimed to be an atheist most of my life. Up until recently in fact when I had to change to more of an agnostic. Not because I think there is a chance of some all powerful deity in the sky, but because I don't know for sure that there isn't something. And I can accept that I don't know what or where we came from.

And I think this is the sign of a matured atheist. Logic dictates that you can't prove your position on this so you can't claim absolutely that one doesn't exist. And quite frankly doesn't matter.

Any Objectivists out there?
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    I believe in a higher being, but not the bible (especially the new testament and Christianity).
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Thanks for pointing out the group, Brett. I didn't even know there were groups on MFP. I've simply never looked into that area.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Lifelong atheist here.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I believe there are things in the universe that humans cannot yet comprehend, or won't ever comprehend. But not necessarily a supreme being. Well maybe, but probably not anything as described by any organized religion.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Atheist here... anti-theist if the person I'm dealing with is an idiot who doesn't even know their religion as well as I do.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Non believer here. Word!
  • Heathen unbeliever here. While I don't reject the notion of a deity, I understand it cannot be proven or disproved logically. I also am not offended by someone else being a believer. To each their own. I prefer to judge people by their character.

I love that there are adults out there mature enough not to be offended by someone's belief in God. Mature enough to not write them off as silly and stupid because we believe differently. Just as I would not try to convince an atheist/agnostic to believe, I expect them to be respectful of the decisions I've made for myself as well.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm an agnostic atheist. I am a non-believer. I still think that what we call "spirituality" is something we can all experience by being out in nature, in the beautiful mountains, through love and human relationships, gaining clarity through meditation, and finding insight. But, it is simply yet another aspect of the human experience and does not lead to anything outside of that. No after life, no spirits, no souls, no "god". I did not come to these conclusions lightly. My life experience has led me here. I don't judge others. But, I still like to connect with people that understand. What I tend to have in common with others is usually deeper than this.

And yes, even though the religious threads flourish, these ones usually get locked and deleted. Just because we are non-believers does not mean we judge others. We are all just people. It's worth it to get to know one another.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Count me in. Feel free to add me. I'm more agnostic than anything. Non-religious. Respect to good people, whatever their beliefs may be. I have friends of all beliefs. Its all about respect.
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    No.
    :smile:
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Interesting how people assume this thread will get locked in no time at all, but the Christian thread that's been going on for 11 or 12 pages is fine and "acceptable."

^^
  • Full blown atheist here :)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    ibtl00183f.jpg
    love it
  • Agnostic here.
  • Isn't the choice to reject god, kind of like admitting there is one? I don't get the whole atheism thing I guess..I don't care either..so don't reply to explain. hehe
This discussion has been closed.