Almond milk

Options
I'm scared to try it. I am a huge milk lover but it doesn't make me feel very good, especially in the mornings. Is almond milk a good replacement? I'm just curious what others think of it.....

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    LOVE me some vanilla and chocolate almond milk! :smooched:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE almond milk! I have not had cow milk for a loooong time ( I am vegan), and I used to drink soy milk, But then my sister in law came to visit, and bought and left behind some almond milk, and I loved it! So that is all I buy now. But if you try it and don't like it, there are a lot of other alternatives out there that should not give you the problems that cow milk do. Soy, rice milk, hemp, and even sunflower milk! You might just have to try them until you find the one that works for you. Even my kids and hubby like the almond milk!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use it to cook\bake and in oatmeal and cereal. I do not like to drink it, but I'm not a fan of drinking milk anyway.

Have you tried lactose free milk?
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I find I like the taste, probably the closest tasting to milk as a 'non-milk' product can get in my opinion!
  • Taneil27
    Options
    I love it. I use it to cook\bake and in oatmeal and cereal. I do not like to drink it, but I'm not a fan of drinking milk anyway.

Have you tried lactose free milk?

Yeah, I've tried Lactaid and I did not like it!
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    I like almond milk. Be sure to read the labels. Some have sugar added. But it is tasty.
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I buy the Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It only has 30 calories per serving. I don't drink it by itself but I really like it over cereal and I also use it instead of creamer in my coffee. The unsweetened takes a little getting used to because of cow's milk being sweeter, so it you are going directly from drinking cow's milk to almond milk you may want to try the sweetened kind first.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk. Be sure to read the labels. Some have sugar added. But it is tasty.

Yes. Make sure you get the unsweet and make sure it says "almond milk" rather than "almond drink".
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, just try it. If you don't like it, don't have it again! :smile:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I use the sweetened vanilla. I couldn't adjust to the taste of the unsweetened. The sweetened is the same calories and fat and sugar as skim cow's milk, but it has 50% more calcium, the main reason I use it instead. It also has a texture more like whole milk (a little creamier), so it makes really good smoothies--just add your favorite fruit! It helps satisfy my sweet tooth!
  • mr_enigma
    Options
    I absolutely love to use the unsweetened kind in my cereal and the sweetened kind in my coffee! Delicious!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to try it. I am a huge milk lover but it doesn't make me feel very good, especially in the mornings. Is almond milk a good replacement? I'm just curious what others think of it.....

I say no. I love almond milk, but not as a sub for milk as almond milk has less than 1 gram of protein/serving whereas milk has 8.
  • shannyfro
    Options
    Silk dark chocolate almond milk is AMAZING!! Even better than regular chocolate milk. Very creamy! :)
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i just started drinking it this month and its really sweet but also smooth. dont eat it w/ any cereals like honey nut cheerios or bunches of oats b/c it will taste like you're drinking a milky way. im switching to Kashi to have with it.
  • Krissi921
    Krissi921 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love it! I used to love drinking milk but it doesn't like me anymore. I use Blue Diamond - the vanilla is a little too sweet in cereal for me but it great in my protein shakes. It's only $3-4 - I say give it a shot and see what you think.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love Almond milk I drink the original 60 cal one. I used to love reg milk but it would make me sick now I can't stand to drink milk. Try it if you don't like it there are other milks out there, my son won't touch Almond milk but will drink Soy, Rice, Coconut or even Lactose Free (we have tried them all).
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Just try it. You may like it. If you hate it, you've wasted less than three bucks.

Not a lot of protein in it though, and it doesn't taste like milk, if that's what you're going for. I make it at home and I love the taste of it. If you do that, you can flavour it how you want, and just make as much as you need.
  • Cindy103
    Cindy103 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Agree with all about the unsweetned! I love it in my cereal, not real crazy about drinking it though! :drinker:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love it with cereal but not in my coffee.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the new Blue Diamond almond/coconut unsweetened milk blend!