2 oz spaghetti is...?

Options
So, I know that I reeeeaally need a food scale, but until I can get one, I'll rely on your help!
In cups, what's 2 oz of spaghetti? I am thinking about half a cup... but I really have no clue.
TIA!

Replies

• KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cooked or uncooked? Cooked it's probably about a cup lightly packed, but I haven't any to hand to test!
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    On the box it says '2 oz dry' So I know that by cooking it, it will be heavier due to the water it absorbs. So, 2 oz uncooked, would that be even more than one cup?
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    2oz is = to 1/4 cup
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Half a cup cooked
  • millerch88
    millerch88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    not sure of the cup to oz ratio for that, but uncooked it should be less by volume because the pasta will expand/grow when it cooks. It may be a bit heavier too, but it will take up more space cooked. Invest in a simple scale. They're awesome. And hopefully someone else can give you a definite answer to this.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    Until you get a scale the easiest way to measure is to:

1. see how many servings per container
    2. divide the food in half on your counter and then half again...
    3. keep going until you have the correct number of servings divided out
    4. then put in baggies because once you've removed a portion it'll be harder to estimate again

FYI: 2 oz of penne pasta is 1 1/4 cups. A bit hard to equate that to spaghetti though.
  • erin8010
    Options
    I think 2oz (uncooked) is about 200cals,I was shocked at that, not sure in cups though sorry!
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    Just a thought: if you want to cut down on your carbs, why not try using spagehetti squash instead of pasta? It's a mild-tasting squash and adapts well to pasta recipes--without the calories and carbs--which means you can eat more! Had some for lunch today with a little sauce and turkey meatballs. Yummy!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry spaghetti = 1 cup cooked <lightly packed in cup>
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Uncooked, it's about 1/4 cup, but ounces and cups don't translate well, so there will be some variance.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    Just a thought: if you want to cut down on your carbs, why not try using spagehetti squash instead of pasta? It's a mild-tasting squash and adapts well to pasta recipes--without the calories and carbs--which means you can eat more! Had some for lunch today with a little sauce and turkey meatballs. Yummy!

I still haven't tried spaghetti squash...VERY afraid I'll be disappointed
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Before I bought a food scale, I just went by how many servings were in the box and then eyeballed it. :ohwell:
    Yes, definitely need to invest in a food scale :happy: You'll be surprised at the true serving sizes.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Most packages say 85 grams per serving. That's a little bigger than a quarter (25 cents) if you hold it straight up. It's about one cup cooked. This only works for spaghetti. Scales are cheap. And easy to find.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options

quinoa pasta is pretty good... despite it being very yellow in color :happy:
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options

^^This is correct.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Absolute god-sent vegetable. LOVELOVELOVE. I usually use a lil butter (yes the full fat, I don't like eating chemicals) or EVOO and just a smidge of salt. DELISH. Have tried it as a "pasta" dish as well, fresh crushed tomato sauce. Also DELISH.

Also will say that food scale is a must, helps in calculations. "eyeballing it" proves to be tough.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

^^This is correct.

But if you've already cooked it, it's too late to measure...
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options

^^This is correct.

But if you've already cooked it, it's too late to measure...

Still laughing here...:laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    ........and aren't you glad you asked MFP? :laugh:

Uncooked, my rule of thumb is....the amount of spaghetti that would fit comfortably in a circle the size of a quarter. So make a circle with your thumb ( like an "Okay".) Then fit a quarter into the circle. The amount of spaghetti that will now sit comfortably in that circle is about 2 oz cooked.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Spaghetti squash is great! I'm actually eating it now! :)