Can't eat over 800 calories a day.

Options

Replies

• irialanthas
    Options
    If the food you intake are in the proper proportions of protein/fat/carbs and have high nutritional value, with 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week, i DO believe it is possible to still sustain a healthy body on an 800-1000 calorie diet (for females). There are clinical studies which indicate caloric restriction does have multiple benefits. It's just that eating brings pleasure to most people, and that most people don't aim for a slow metabolism to lose weight.

I ask people to keep an open mind as of course, what I'm posting is contrary to popular belief. However, please consider the following:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/397191-what-are-the-benefits-of-a-slow-metabolism/

Of note: "However, as reported by Science Daily, a slow metabolism as a result of calorie restriction can possibly protect against cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes and increase longevity. A calorie-restriction diet reduces your intake of calories 20 to 40 percent. It cuts empty calorie foods, such sugar and processed carbohydrates, rather than foods containing essential nutrients and vitamins. Calorie restriction diets make you lose weight at first. But, over time, your body adjusts your metabolism to fit the lower calorie intake.

Mechanism of Action

Many animal studies show that calorie restriction can extend the lifespan of animals. It has not yet been shown that calorie restriction has the same effects in humans. However, more doctors consider it a promising approach, and, in recent years, more grant money has been devoted to studying it. How might calorie restriction prolong life? No one really knows."

Who knows, in 100 years, we might all be aiming for slow metabolisms, once more documentation is provided.

Also, "http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/weight-loss-metabolic-rate-the-slower-the-better.html"

The MD says, "However, having a fast metabolism does not mean that you are healthier – in fact, it may cause you to age more quickly. Many supplements claim to increase your metabolism and promote weight loss, but these are merely stimulants. Instead of trying to increase your metabolism with the goal of losing weight, I say, get your body to run on fewer calories and slow your metabolism for a longer, healthier life."

There are actually multiple sources of scientific literature that suggest slower metabolisms gained from caloric restriction in the test group leads to a life that has less disease events than the non test group. Of course, so far these test groups are animal based studies, so I assume people will discredit as they will ("no human studies done, doesn't count" etc), but also consider that we've had proof since 2002 that "mice and men share about 97.5 per cent of their working DNA, just one per cent less than chimps and humans."

Of course, I am not promoting starving, but for the original poster of this thread, if you feel that 800 calories is too "little" because everyone else is saying so, despite the fact that you may not feel hungry at all, then I am simply providing another perspective to reflect upon. There is no way for anyone really, to tell you what is more valid or not. Only you know the best, what the intricacies of your lifestyle demand, and how you should adjust and monitor your intake accordingly. Everyone's bodies are different; this is also why medications that work wonderfully for some people, work terribly for others, because we all metabolize things differently. Forgoing extremes (again, I'm not saying to live a life of 800 calories' worth of junk food, or, if you are running 5k marathons every other day, of course 800 calories/day is far too little...using an extreme example to illustrate) and assuming a lifestyle and diet within reason, who knows? Humans may be adopting caloric restriction in 100 years, if studies can prove it significantly decreases the risk of cancer and cardiovascular events.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i am a 6'2 man so obviously i am going to need to eat more than someone your size but i cant imagine 800 calories being enough for you, i eat 800 calories before 9am most days
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    my mustache needs more than 800 cals/day

Pmsl! I think mine does too :laugh:
  • Swizzle1986
    Options
    I think its a gland issue based on the fact that you said you had surgery and it messed them up.

Keep steady at 1200, work out and tone 5 days a week, measure inches not the scale.

You could also go see a personal trainer and have them assess you.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    It seems everyone is having a fit to see my diary, as if that will be the key to this issue. I have made it public, but other than the fact that I can not do real exercise because of my issues with my hips, I had 3 10lb babies which messed them up pretty bad (Dr said I couldn't have a 4lb baby naturally and I had all of them naturally), and my heart murmur (caused by scarlet fever when I was 4yr old), I do eat right, lots of veggies and lean meat, no red meats because I had my galbladder removed and it causes me issues. I try to never eat past 7pm. I don't eat all day, hate eating before noon, watch my sodium, etc. So, for those of you that think you can find an answer there...
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    hate eating before noon

That's your first problem.
  • gnarlynoodle
    Options
    Seriously, though - eat breakfast. That's the first favor you can do for your metabolism.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Seriously, though - eat breakfast. That's the first favor you can do for your metabolism.

Any time I eat breakfast I gain weight. I know the norm, but I obviously am not normal. Going to do what works for me, but I am concerned that I NEVER loose weight when I eat over 800 calories a day. I do take lots of vitamins and minerals to make sure I have the nutrition that I am missing by not eating as much.
  • gnarlynoodle
    Options

Any time I eat breakfast I gain weight. I know the norm, but I obviously am not normal. Going to do what works for me, but I am concerned that I NEVER loose weight when I eat over 800 calories a day. I do take lots of vitamins and minerals to make sure I have the nutrition that I am missing by not eating as much.

At this point, it doesn't appear that you know your body as well as you believe.

I think a good starting off point for you would be to eat something small each morning for 2 weeks and re-evaluate. Even if it's just 1 scrambled egg, 1 piece of whole grain toast, etc. You're still not going to believe a bunch of internet people that you probably honestly just need to retrain your body on how to eat, so instead just take that small challenge. Try to eat an extra 50 to 100 calories each morning. 1 large egg is about 70.

If adding 50-100 calories to your day makes you start packing on the pounds then you should have been at the doctor yesterday.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

Eating breakfast isn't what makes you gain weight... the calories are.

If you aren't a breakfast eater, don't eat breakfast. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. If you would rather eat later than do it.

Stop checking the scale for a few weeks. Each week add 100 calories to your goal and make them good choices. You need to eat more. Add 100 cals each week for a month (don't weigh yourself!) and keep it at that for at least two weeks than weigh... I'm sure you will see a drop.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You must be new here.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone is having a fit to see my diary, as if that will be the key to this issue. I have made it public, but other than the fact that I can not do real exercise because of my issues with my hips, I had 3 10lb babies which messed them up pretty bad (Dr said I couldn't have a 4lb baby naturally and I had all of them naturally), and my heart murmur (caused by scarlet fever when I was 4yr old), I do eat right, lots of veggies and lean meat, no red meats because I had my galbladder removed and it causes me issues. I try to never eat past 7pm. I don't eat all day, hate eating before noon, watch my sodium, etc. So, for those of you that think you can find an answer there...

Bingo! I called it first. Both exercise and eating right go together. Because you feel that you can reinjure your hip you do the least amount of work possible in a day, and so it reflects in your calorie maintenance. This might sound strange to you but putting more muscles on your body will help straighten your hip. This is how athletes do it all the time.
  • katweeks63
    Options

Bingo! I called it first. Both exercise and eating right go together. Because you feel that you can reinjure your hip you do the least amount of work possible in a day, and so it reflects in your calorie maintenance. This might sound strange to you but putting more muscles on your body will help straighten your hip. This is how athletes do it all the time.

If I have to make a choice between working out and being able to walk, I choose walking. My oldest son is 33 yrs old, so I am no stranger to what happens to me when I do more than normal daily activities. I have had times when I have sat on the floor and played with my grandchildren, only to have to be lifted off the floor and limped for 3 days. I know my limitations, and unfortunately, this one is not up for debate.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

If I have to make a choice between working out and being able to walk, I choose walking. My oldest son is 33 yrs old, so I am no stranger to what happens to me when I do more than normal daily activities. I have had times when I have sat on the floor and played with my grandchildren, only to have to be lifted off the floor and limped for 3 days. I know my limitations, and unfortunately, this one is not up for debate.

Ehhh yeah, because sitting around and doing nothing is the road to recovery right? Wrong. Building muscles around your hip area is what you need to be doing but it's your choice. I can't force you to get up and exercise. Only you can do that and I highly doubt you have it worst than the guys posted in the videos below trying to learn to walk again after being in a car accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpdgTvOboI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMuImBISLY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL5Vm0mWis0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJToEFojDM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3RM7V3WxPE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJqSRpRv34
  • katweeks63
    Options

Ehhh yeah, because sitting around and doing nothing is the road to recovery right? Wrong. Building muscles around your hip area is what you need to be doing but it's your choice. I can't force you to get up and exercise. Only you can do that and I highly doubt you have it worst than the guys posted in the videos below trying to learn to walk again after being in a car accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpdgTvOboI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMuImBISLY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL5Vm0mWis0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJToEFojDM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3RM7V3WxPE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJqSRpRv34

I listened to my sons tell me the same things you have just said years. When I let it get to me and did what they insisted I had to do I became immobile. It's not just that my hips were damaged, it caused the bones to deteriorate and to get arthritis in the joints. All the muscle in the world is not going to fix this. I don't expect you to understand, just as they did not for years.

I will continue to walk, which in it's self is exercise, and a blessing. Thank you for trying to help me.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    I have closed my diary to prevent further criticism. Thanks to all that truely tried to help. I have some ideas now.
  • abctrejo3
    abctrejo3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My mom lost about 20 pounds and after she hit 15 pounds, it was harder for her to lose weight. Your body gets used to eating so much and it's no longer a new thing. It's just a normal routine. It's like walking every day. If you walk every day, you're going to get used to the exercise and the 'challenge' you first experienced. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, wtf? Are you for real? I've been following this thread the last day or so because I'm so curious. You had your diary open, what, 5 minutes? I was the last comment before you opened it, and it was not open when I commented. It is now closed again. Barely anyone got a chance to see it.

Like the person pointing out your inactivity... what the hell, have you ever even GONE to physical therapy? Call up an appointment NOW. Do some lifting. Do some cardio (even low impact, in a pool, anything). Lifting STRENGTHENS bones as well as muscle. You don't sound like you know much about science in health or general... I'm still waiting to hear what "glands" got surgery (as someone who had a complete thyroidectomy, adrenal insufficiency, ovarian cysts, etc... I know a thing or do about glands).

You're not losing weight because your body is SEDENTARY.

P.S. Criticism is not "bad" by definition. Even if everyone said, "Your diary looks great!" that is still technically criticism. Frankly, I think you're someone that wants easy answers and frankly doesn't want to take care of themself. What's easy isn't always what's best.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Why is it that if I eat more than 800 calories a day I either maintain or gain weight. I basically do the same amount of activities every day, and I drink fluids, but if I eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day I gain weight, if I eat between 800 and 1000 I maintain. Any ideas?

Please understand the difference between water weight and fat weight. You're not gonna gain fat eating 1200 calories a day unless your metabolism is completely and utterly jacked up and you sit around all day doing nothing. Which I am 99.99% sure is not the case. Also, please make sure you're counting properly. People, in general, suck at accurately counting calories.

IF the scale goes up the following day after eating 1200 calories you've just gained some water weight.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you even asked for help, you have a nasty rebuttal for all suggestions. Eating 800 calories a day for a long period is killing your body. Go have your kidney function tested. My mil ate 1000 calories or less a day for a couple years and her kidneys began to fail. If your situation with your hips is as serious as you state then you need a good doctor that cares about you and will get you help. As someone else said, sitting around is not helping your hips. My father has deterioration and arthritis in his back, hips, and knees. What did they do for it? Physical therapy, which is, essentially exercise. I really don't know what you want us to say to you. How about try 500 calories a day, continue to sit around and let your muscles deteriorate and see how that works for you.