What do people do to annoy you while you're working out?

Options

Replies

• eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    AHH! Every single day an elder lady comes up and say "you are already slim. Why are you still working out? I just smile but in my head I scream "WTF, do only fat people work out? Thin people dont have right to work out? What should I do? Sit at home like a couch potato, feed myself with greasy burgers and wait till I cant see my feet because of my belly to have right to work out?"
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mimicking walking, while trying to talk to me, when I am on the treadmill.
    Seriously?
    Does it Look like I want to 'chat' right now?
    And why are you pretending to walk with me? It's pretty annoying. :sad:

So I'd have to say that the above ^, as well as people talking on a cell phone and sweaty, damp equipement are my three biggest pet peeves.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    1. Don't talk to me. When I'm working out, I like to go inside this nice place in my head and be Not Here.

2. Move over. I treat trails/sidewalks like I do driving - I stay on the right (or left, depends on your road laws).
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I'm giving it my all at the gym, sweating my *kitten* off, and I see pretty girls with hair all perfectly done, talking on their cell phone and barely pedaling a bike....LOL....annoys the heck out of me..it's like, Why are you there in the first place?
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "YOU CAN DO IT.GOO! IT'S A LITTLE BIT LEFT!"
    Can't stand it.
    Why?
    I need to concentrate and when I start listening to people yelling I loose my focus and yeah.. no more running for me.

where do you get these people cheering for you? is it group fitness class or something? when i workout, i have imagined once or twice that people were cheering for me! lol, thinking back those must have been tough workouts that my mind wandered like that...
  • Arkani7
    Arkani7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My major gym peeve is when someone sits on a machine, not using it, and just chats with somebody. I was on the elliptical the other day for 15 minutes and the entire time I was on it there was a girl casually sitting on an ab machine right in front of me (the only one like it, so if someone wanted to use it they had no other option) talking with somebody. She was no using the machine at all, granted she probably was before the conversation started but come on, get off of it! This drives me nuts, it's so inconsiderate.

AGREE!

A few days ago at the gym there were three girls, EACH sitting on a machine and they were just chatting!! They haven't used the machines before and they didn't intend to use them .... they just used them for a place to sit and talk.

Well, I mean.... there are some really nice sofas over there ... SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST USE THESE FOR YOUR DAILY EXCHANGE OF CURRENT GOSSIP ?!

I will propably never understand :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Mimicking walking, while trying to talk to me, when I am on the treadmill.
    Seriously?
    Does it Look like I want to 'chat' right now?
    And why are you pretending to walk with me? It's pretty annoying. :sad:

So I'd have to say that the above ^, as well as people talking on a cell phone and sweaty, damp equipement are my three biggest pet peeves.

:laugh:

I'm not really a gym-goer... but I was under the impression that treadmill etiquette was sort of like urinal etiquette, no? No talky? Am I wrong?
  • Racaronga
    Options
    Talking on the phone while running on the treadmill. WTF?!?!?!

a) how have you got the breath?
    b) how do you not fall off?
    c) seriously you are at the gym!!!!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I'm giving it my all at the gym, sweating my *kitten* off, and I see pretty girls with hair all perfectly done, talking on their cell phone and barely pedaling a bike....LOL....annoys the heck out of me..it's like, Why are you there in the first place?

Ha! i saw a girl just like this on the arc trainer for like 20minutes...she never turned on the start button---just staring at the flashing lights blinking to push "START"
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I used to never get annoyed by people talking, but lately there's been this group of girls coming in to work out together and they're soo loud and are always laughing obnoxiously. My headphones won't drown them out. :(
  • bren216
    Options
    My biggest gym pet peeve is people phoning in their workout. When overweight women sit on the bikes, and just pedal steadily for an hour on the lowest resistance while watching TV. Okay, so you're burning more calories than you would if you just sat on the couch... but seriously? You're paying $40 a month to sit on a bike and just move your legs? Pro-tip: If you can carry on a conversation while working out, you're not working out hard enough.
    Maybe they're just starting. Maybe their hearts are not yet up to more exertion. Maybe they don't have the confidence yet to do anything more difficult. Maybe they have finally gotten up the courage to join a gym, and they need to learn how to get more out of it. Maybe they are recovering from a neck injury and the only thing their doctor allows is easy leg work.

At least they're there, starting to develop good habits.

Maybe you could be a bit less judgmental.
  • reinadelaisla
    Options
    I have a few.

People who don't clean their machines and bounce from one machine to another constantly. It grosses me out, makes me lose time on my workout having to clean up after your sloppy *kitten*, and it ultimately makes me not want to work out anymore if I see you there.

Men who walk around with serial killer faces when they approach a machine or a bench. Dude. I know you're tough. I know you're strong. You don't need to intimidate me or the machine. Especially the machine. It has no feelings.

Same goes for guys who make horrific grunting noises on purpose during a workout. You're annoying, not cool. Shut up.

I know someone mentioned people who don't work hard during their workouts and just want to look cute, and that's annoying too. The ones who are on a machine for like 30 seconds and then hop off and strut around hoping someone will look at them. That's not what the gym is for, and if you really think you're going to keep that "hot bod" with that kind of workout, you are wrong, my friend. These two women last week were all "Oh, that does nothing for me" at the glute machine, and then did literally five minutes on an elliptical, five on a treadmill at the slowest pace possible. That explains everything to me.

And last but not least, those people who carry on a conversation AT THE LOUDEST DECIBEL COUNT POSSIBLE, BECAUSE EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER HAS TO HEAR IT. I DID NOT COME TO THE GYM TO LISTEN TO YOU YELL AT EACH OTHER SIX INCHES FROM EACH OTHER'S FACES. Enough.
  • TeresaFritz
    Options
    I couldn't tell you what the person next to me or across from me is doing or looks like. I get into my music and workout. It's all about me...lol. But when I am finished with the machine, turn down music, look up and get ready to get off and clean machine, nothing makes me more disgusted than seeing men staring at my crotch and smiling. I want to walk over and knock that grin off of them but what I do is to never acknowledge any of them. Seriously, I am not working out, trying to lose weight, wearing no makeup, hair not styled and sweating like a stucked pig at the gym to be oogled. So, during my workout it's great, it's just when I am finished with a machine that I come back down to earth and actually see anyone.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We have tennis courts at our park about a mile down the road from us. At different times of the day, there are tennis teams that use up the courts. Which, I don't mind, I'm glad the kids are getting active, but would it kill them to post a schedule on the board so we can know when we (regular public) can play?

Or could they not have both middle and high school kids play at once so not all 10 courts are occupied?
  • sionnain
    Options
    Talking on cell phones, slamming down weights on the machines instead of putting them down carefully (if you're slamming them you're not holding the weight!), sitting on exercise balls doing NOTHING talking to your friend while sitting in front of all the mats and other balls so nobody can get to them, that heavy breathing/grunting thing that guys do for some reason...
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I can't stand when I'm on a piece of equipment and there's people circling like a vulture waiting for me to get off. Or people who consistently stare like "what the hell are you doing here" like larger people should be banned from the gym. I'm at a gym that was known to be directed for body builders, and of course a lot of them still go for weights... so the thought of a larger person on their equipment seems to bother them so bad.

I also can't stand the girls that come in, jump on a bike and casually pedal and are running their mouth like that's the real work out.

I hear you sista! Haha! I absolutely hate that people act like it's a crime that someone who ISN'T a size 0 is in their gym. Last time I checked i'm running a hell of a lot longer than your skinny *kitten* is, so if you have a problem.. Trying doing a real work out.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ... Pro-tip: If you can carry on a conversation while working out, you're not working out hard enough.

Totally depends on your goal. If you're a runner training on a treadmill for a long run, you should be able to carry on a conversation in full sentences. If not, you're going too fast. I've seen people running on the road talking on the phone... I can't imagine you have very good running form while holding the phone to your ear, but if you're hands-free, why not?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Deodorant dodgers - yuk!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Counting reps loudly (especially if wearing earbuds, and thus, they don't realize how loud it is)....
    ONE! TWO! THREE!!........lol:bigsmile:
  • reinadelaisla
    Options
    My biggest gym pet peeve is people phoning in their workout. When overweight women sit on the bikes, and just pedal steadily for an hour on the lowest resistance while watching TV. Okay, so you're burning more calories than you would if you just sat on the couch... but seriously? You're paying $40 a month to sit on a bike and just move your legs? Pro-tip: If you can carry on a conversation while working out, you're not working out hard enough.
    Maybe they're just starting. Maybe their hearts are not yet up to more exertion. Maybe they don't have the confidence yet to do anything more difficult. Maybe they have finally gotten up the courage to join a gym, and they need to learn how to get more out of it. Maybe they are recovering from a neck injury and the only thing their doctor allows is easy leg work.

At least they're there, starting to develop good habits.

Maybe you could be a bit less judgmental.

Yeah, that's one thing I wouldn't judge. As a heavier person, I know how difficult it is to get yourself moving. I still hate running. But I try my hardest to do it. My mom was largely sedentary before we got our gym memberships, but now she can do 5 miles on the bike at 80-90 rpm without a problem.

When you're starting out, it's all about working up to a good pace and dealing with what you can handle. The worst thing you can do is strain yourself early and then have to spend time recovering from injury. Build up to it. Do what you can. Get better with time.