Cooking for the week for 2 adults.. Help

Options
2»

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Mexican lasagna is very easy. Use flour tortillas (sprouted grain if you want to be super healthy) instead of noodles. The layers go as follows in a lasagna pan:
    -Salsa(just to coat the bottom of the pan) - tortillas - rice (I usually do a seasoned rice with some cilantro, or a yellow rice) - seasoned ground turkey mixture (just basic grocery store taco seasoning black beans and corn added)- sauteed onions peppers mushrooms - cheese (lowfat cheddar) - repeat.

depending on the depth of your dish, you can sometimes get 3 layers of each

you will need:
    - 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
    - 1 cup of rice (dry yield 3 cups cooked)
    -1 onion
    -1 red or green pepper
    -1 8oz. package of mushrooms
    -1 8 oz. package of shredded cheddar
    -1 can black beans
    -1/2 can corn
    -1 package taco seasoning

One really big piece is about 610 calories (whole tray cut into 6 pieces), but a medium slice adequate for most people is about 450.
    Top the last layer of tortilla with salsa and cheese, bake for about 40 minutes at 375. I like to give it a little broil at the end to brown the cheese. You will love it. Enjoy
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    About once a month I like to make a huge pot of marinara sauce (I puree veggies into it as well for kids) - I take some and freeze in small portions for things like pizza (can make on whole wheat english muffins, pita bread, etc.) - brown meat (ground turkey if you'd like) and add the rest of the sauce - freeze some for easy spaghetti dinners (cook pasta, heat sauce) - and turn some into lasagna's (using whole wheat noodles) - layer sauce, noodles X 3 - add cheese on top and freeze (yes, before cooking - noodles and sauce are already cooked!) - when ready to use, defrost, and bake in oven @ 30 min - done.

It's a bit of work for the day, but provides lots of easy meals for the month or longer.
    Good luck!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes. It tastes just like Alfredo sauce to me and it has lots of veggies. You could switch out some of the veggies to fit your tastes. The serving is for ten, so the author and her husband have lunch for the week. So good!

http://kfoxcooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/healthier-pasta-primavera.html
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Lunches are a bit iffy, I'm not going to be too much help there. (I usually have nuts, fruit, and a protein shake if I'm out or leftovers if I'm at home.)

But you can very easily cook your meals ahead of time and freeze them... then all you have to do is throw them in the oven when you want to eat. My go-to meals include chicken and sage dumplings (if you have already cooked your chicken breasts, this takes 30 minutes tops), french onion soup, chili, southwestern eggrolls, etc. I have a cashew chicken recipe that (to me) tastes just as good served cold as it does hot. Also, anything that can be thrown in the slow cooker is always a good bet.

Also, breakfast is an awesome time to use a casserole -- you can cook it on a Sunday night and most last three to five days -- long enough to get you through most (if not all) of your work week. I have recipes for egg casseroles, French toast casseroles, etc.

A few websites to check out -- allrecipes.com has pretty good sections for slow cooking, vegetarian (not because you're a vegetarian but just because eating meatless meals is often much cheaper), and ethnic dishes.

Onceamonthmom.com is great for freezer friendly meals -- they offer half a dozen monthly menus (traditional, diet, gluten free, etc.). The concept behind this website is that you can take one weekend and cook a month's worth of meals.

Oh! And supercook.com is great if you are running low on ideas -- you type in all the foods that you have in your pantry that you want to use and it spits out matching recipe ideas using what you have.

I have plenty of recipes on hand if you ever need any ideas :) Good luck!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "Salad in a jar" has been my friend for a while now.

Put the dressing (or oil and vinegar) in the bottom of a quart jar.

Then add nuts/seeds/cheese, craisins, quinoa/couscous, shredded carrots/radishes/beets, and finally the lettuce. I have also been known to cook sliced chicken breasts, freeze them, and add a handful of frozen chicken to the jar in the morning I want to eat it.

As long as the lettuce doesn't touch the dressing or (cheese), it will keep for a whole week in the fridge.

This site has some good ideas for ingredients. I usually just use whatever I have on hand from the CSA box.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/salad-in-a-jar-make-a-week-of-lunches-173014

Just remember to cook and cool your grain before you make up the jars. Just shake it up really well to distribute the ingredients. You can pour onto a plate or in a bowl if you prefer. Sometimes my schedule is hectic (emergency mental health response) and I just end up sitting in a park for a few minutes looking at the trees and eating out of the jar.

I also like this recipe for "lunch wraps" (aka burritos), but I use dried beans that I have soaked and cooked (MUCH more cost effective) in about half the volume described here. I also have been using fresh corn on the cob (uncooked) since its been in season, but could imagine using frozen corn instead.

I wrap these in plastic wrap like a burrito, then wrap again (which kills my ecohippie soul a little so if anyone has other ideas, I'd love to hear them), and then put 6-8 in a gallon freezer bag for grab and go lunches. Usually they are thawed out by lunch time, but could also be heated in a microwave if you don't want a cold one.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-lunch-wraps/detail.aspx

Also, make ahead breakfasts are easy... you can make a bunch of "egg mcmuffins" or breakfast burritos to freeze and reheat too. My favorite breakfast trick, though, is to make a pot of steel cut oats or kasha (toasted buckwheat) for the week, and portion it out into 5 servings, adding measured servings of things like brown sugar/maple syrup, raisins/craisins/blueberries (fresh or dried), walnuts/almonds/pecans, and soy milk.

Also also seconding shmoney's list of ideas for freezer meals...
    chili, enchiladas, lasagne, tuna hot dish (or casserole if you're not from the midwest), soups.

AllRecipes.com has a good slow cooker/crock pot section. There's even a really good recipe (I've had success with it) for slow cooker roasted chicken.

Once a Month Mom has a lot of good ideas, but they just changed their full service to require payments. You can still get the recipes for free.

Oh... one more thing...
    Invest in a good quality wide mouth thermos. You can fill it with hot water, and let it stand for a few minutes, then put hot soup/stew/chili in it. The thermos should keep the food reasonably warm until lunch time. That's an old trick I picked up from my mom when she packed school lunches for us.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    An "add-water" bowl of good quality ramen (not cup-o-noodles. Pretty much anything spicy.) and a can of tuna. Hot water shouldn't be hard to find. Just be careful that you're spiking your sodium.