Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success-- Lack for me. I had nothing this week, in fact I'm in a defecit. My foot was injured, not sure exact reasoning, I'm going to blame landing on it wrong while jogging down a hill, or old worn out sneakers while doing that jog. Regardless, it was hurting to a point where I couldn't put a lot of weight on it. I guess the one success I got was dragging my butt to a doctor to have it checked to make sure it wasn't serious. It's not, just a contusion, but it still hurts.

I'm sorry your foot is still hurt. I sincerely hope it gets better soon :(

Saturday Success: Well to be honest I'm kinda lacking here as well. It rained all day so I wasn't able to get the dogs to the park like I so wanted to do- instead I was stuck cooking. I haven't eaten as much as I feel I should but I did find an AWESOME way to get off sodas permanently! Tonic or seltzer water +lemon juice or maybe a TOUCH of grenadine tastes amazing.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @andrea--I'm so sorry about your BIL and your husband's health problems, that's a lot to handle--especially after the loss of his aunt. :cry: As far as the work problems, can this new director just eliminate your position so easily? If that happens will you still have a job there--are you under contract or tenured at your school? Not sure how it works in NY or if you even have a union. Regardless, that sounds very stressful! Hugs to you as you deal with all of this. :flowerforyou:

@nicole--great mileage today--I'm so proud of you!! :drinker:

@sweetp--hope the trip to Houston goes well.

@roozombie--sorry I forgot to respond to you before :blushing: --I'm so excited to see you back on the thread!! It sucks that you gained back some weight while finishing your dis and all, but you will reach onederland again in no time!!

@glow--great job sticking with the plan! :drinker:

@christine--I was thinking the same thing as roo--most orange juice I've seen comes in at about 100 calories for 6-8 oz.

@megan--glad Milo is a motivator for you!! I know there are plenty of days when I'm not feeling it, but my Gunner nudges me out the door, and I always feel better after a walk or run with him!

@mymowmow--great job--any loss is good!! Oh, and I love the pic of your kitty!

@kelley--glad you are feeling so energized!!

My exercise plan this week:
    Sat = gym + walk dog--DONE!!
    Sun = walk dog + mow lawn/pull weeds--DONE!!
    Mon = walk dog + some sort of core work--DONE!!
    Tues = long run outside w/ dog or gym + walk dog (weather dependent)--did long walk w/dog + core work instead
    Wed = gym + walk dog--did long run outside w/dog instead
    Thurs = core work (it's Open House at school so not sure if I will even get to this)--did nothing
    Fri = walk dog--DONE!! (made it a very long walk -- about 4 miles)
    Sat = gym + walk dog--DONE!!
    Sun = gym + walk dog

Grading goals:
    1. 57/58 creative writing stories
    2. 22/22 vocab quizzes
    3. x/58 motif analyses
    4. x/58 censorship article responses

Well, I finished #1 (the only reason I didn't finish the last story is that the girl didn't turn in her rubric which means she will get it back AFTER the rest of the class--my way of reminding them to turn in their rubrics).

I plan to do #4 tonight--It's really just spot-checking their answers since we already discussed them in class, so it should go fast.

Tomorrow, DH and I are going to my parents to visit with family--excited to see my niece! I will have limited "me" time, so I need to make a choice between the gym and grading. :ohwell: Not gonna stress about it--will see how I feel tomorrow morning and decide them.
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Today I completed my first 5k in 48 minutes! My time would have been better if the end hadn't been all uphill. But all in all I am super proud of my friend Brittany and myself! I will catch up tomorrow. Too tired from the day. :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Saturday Success-- Lack for me. I had nothing this week, in fact I'm in a defecit. My foot was injured, not sure exact reasoning, I'm going to blame landing on it wrong while jogging down a hill, or old worn out sneakers while doing that jog. Regardless, it was hurting to a point where I couldn't put a lot of weight on it. I guess the one success I got was dragging my butt to a doctor to have it checked to make sure it wasn't serious. It's not, just a contusion, but it still hurts.

Saturday Success: Well to be honest I'm kinda lacking here as well. It rained all day so I wasn't able to get the dogs to the park like I so wanted to do- instead I was stuck cooking. I haven't eaten as much as I feel I should but I did find an AWESOME way to get off sodas permanently! Tonic or seltzer water +lemon juice or maybe a TOUCH of grenadine tastes amazing.

I love seltzer and a tiny splash of cranberry--it's my go-to drink when I'm out at bars but need to stay sober to drive. It makes me feel like I'm still having a cocktail.

This makes the linguistics nerd in me wonder--do you guys call it seltzer or soda or soda water? I've noticed that here in Chicago, I often have to repeat myself if I ask for "seltzer" but bartenders always understand when I ask for "soda." However, I've traveled places where "seltzer" or "soda water"seem to be the preferred terms.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 6 days into my 8 day stretch. No exercise but i am finally healthy again! I guess I was way sicker than I thought...based on the number of "wow, you look so good today" comments I got! I haven't logged everything I've eaten this week, but I know it's been under. I"ve kept mental logs and have been too exhausted to get it all in here.

My day off is Tuesday and I am so hoping to go out for a bike ride and just rest and relax. Although I have a boat load of stuff to do. We'll see if I even get out of bed! Ha!

Hope you are all well. Sorry for no personal responses.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Today I completed my first 5k in 48 minutes! My time would have been better if the end hadn't been all uphill. But all in all I am super proud of my friend Brittany and myself! I will catch up tomorrow. Too tired from the day. :)

Jana--that's so awesome!!! Proud of you and your friend!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been with MFP for two months. Things are going well. I've definitely changed my eating and exercise habits for the better! My husband wanted to order pizza, and I was able to work 2 pieces of pepperoni pizza into my day. I can't say I really enjoyed them. Instead, I was craving a salad with fresh tomatoes, feta cheese, and Italian dressing which I had the next day. It was YUMMY! There are still two slices of pizza in the fridge that I need to throw out! Love reading your posts. Good luck to us!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Great job on a successful rollover!!@skinny

@naceto love your posts that is so great. Awesome on walking etc

@Cath-- great on the pizza that is a victory.
    @monarchris--I think its great how you work out the rest of your food for the day to stay under after your breakfast.
    @Robin -- hope you are doing ok since your surgery
    @Jana that is great!

Saturday Success-- went with my daughter to Golden Corral for lunch. I went up 1st plate 1 piece of chicken, baked sweet potato, 1/2 of butter, 4 brussel sprouts, 1/2 cup scoop of squash/zuchinni medley dessert was my salad. Than we left. I sit through my daughters trip for dessert. It was hard. But my salad filled me. I left there not being so stuffed I think I'd exploded. Which is my normal mo there. Friday at work was stressful. hard and long-- came home really tired, joints hurting, and freezing went to bed early this morning I felt still so tired hurting just moved very slow I didn't want to do anything but sit cover up with a blanket in my lazy girl and read books, But luckly I have Bella Jo who is use to her walks and likes them so off we went on our 1st one, that got me up and kept me up cleaning the house. etc. So good day.

Wishing everyone a good night,

Liz
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I love seltzer and a tiny splash of cranberry--it's my go-to drink when I'm out at bars but need to stay sober to drive. It makes me feel like I'm still having a cocktail.

This makes the linguistics nerd in me wonder--do you guys call it seltzer or soda or soda water? I've noticed that here in Chicago, I often have to repeat myself if I ask for "seltzer" but bartenders always understand when I ask for "soda." However, I've traveled places where "seltzer" or "soda water"seem to be the preferred terms.

Is seltzer the same thing as "tonic"? I know when I buy it in the store, I ask for soda water, but when I order in a bar, it's tonic. (We are in the Pacific NorthWest, near Seattle, WA)
  • ravenlaramie
    Options

@Skinny you know honestly I'm not too sure. Usually I just call it seltzer water but then again... I get funny looks for it too lol. Truthfully I hear everyone here calling it something different. Dad calls it tonic, mom calls it soda water, my fiance calls it seltzer. Wonder why one thing has gotten so many different names attached to it?

Haven't thought about putting cranberry juice in it though. :O totally gotta try it... it sounds reeeeally good.
    Is seltzer the same thing as "tonic"? I know when I buy it in the store, I ask for soda water, but when I order in a bar, it's tonic. (We are in the Pacific NorthWest, near Seattle, WA)

@Naceto You know honestly, I'm not sure. I believe it is the same, but I know in the store we go to a lot there's seltzer water, tonic water and then soda water. :O I kinda can't help but wonder the same thing now lol
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hope that Robin is doing well! Feels weird to start a new thread without her :laugh:

toots: most of the health issues have worked themselves out. I don't have the cancer gene, which is a relief, but I'm broke now because my husband's insurance didn't cover the cost of the testing. :frown:

oh, that sucks. at least the news was good.
    Lots of stuff in a nutshell - My brother in law is in his fourth year of battling very aggressive cancer, and sadly will likely soon lose the fight. My husband is very upset, needless to say. Within a few days he found out his aunt passed away, and his brother was hospitalized for pneumonia. And he is opting NOT to tell his family that the mole I forced him to have examined is cancer, he has melanoma and will have a procedure to remove it in two weeks. SO theres a lot of stuff there.

wow, that's terrible. your husband has skin cancer? that must be so horrible when he's losing a brother to cancer at the time. i hope his procedure goes well and gets it all. and good eye on making him have it removed. hugs.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

@Skinny you know honestly I'm not too sure. Usually I just call it seltzer water but then again... I get funny looks for it too lol. Truthfully I hear everyone here calling it something different. Dad calls it tonic, mom calls it soda water, my fiance calls it seltzer. Wonder why one thing has gotten so many different names attached to it?

Haven't thought about putting cranberry juice in it though. :O totally gotta try it... it sounds reeeeally good.

@Naceto You know honestly, I'm not sure. I believe it is the same, but I know in the store we go to a lot there's seltzer water, tonic water and then soda water. :O I kinda can't help but wonder the same thing now lol

Tonic water is definitely different from seltzer/soda water. Tonic has a specific flavor and is loaded with calories unless you get the "light" variety (well, loaded might be hyperbole, but it's around 100 cal for 8 oz, which to me is a lot for "water") whereas seltzer/soda water is merely unflavored, carbonated water with zero calories.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Grading goals:
    1. 57/58 creative writing stories
    2. 22/22 vocab quizzes
    3. x/58 motif analyses
    4. 58/58 censorship article responses

Yay! Finished with 3 out of 4!!! :drinker: Time for bed--I'm hoping to see robin's smiling face tomorrow!!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    So mad. I just wrote a pretty lengthy reply and it didn't take. Grrrrr!!!! Let me try this again.

First of all, Robin would be so proud of you guys. There were so many that posted reminders about the thread changing over. Skinny started the new thread and got us right on track. I love this board!!!!

I'm still not good at individual responses, but really enjoy reading everyones weight successes & struggles plus our personal stuff too. It's our life and we're always going to have those hills and valleys. Just a few comments though:

@naceto: What a week!! I love how you showed your comparisons over 70 days. You've done good!!! The walking this week was amazing. Good for you!!

@andrea. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. When it rains it pours. So much is going on right now and I'm sure it's tough focusing on you when things around you are falling apart. Your husband is so lucky you made him go. I know it's not the news he wanted, but at least it's being caught early and treated. I had 4 removed and luckily all were clear, but it was a wake up call for me that's for sure. Hang in there! While I know you will not want to focus on yourself, try to at least maintain until this bumps in the road slow down.

Saturday Success: I get so worked up on the day to day ups and downs, but when I look at the big picture I'm so excited. I've been using MFP now for 5 weeks. I'm down 19 lbs and just bought pants a size smaller - WOO HOO!!! Even though I gained a 1# this week, I'm celebrating the bigger picture.

I never completed Robin's September Goals so here are mine.

1) Back to the Future: Since I've only been using MFP for 5 weeks, everything is really good. I do know I'm looking forward to a healthier future ahead and not looking back.

2) Pigs Fly Why Can't I: So I've decided to mix up my exercise (walking/swimming) and going to try bike riding. I haven't been on one in years, but with fall coming and the beautiful weather what a great way to introduce fall and show pigs can fly. LOL!!
  • shantay31
    shantay31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    nice!
  • ravenlaramie
    Options

Tonic water is definitely different from seltzer/soda water. Tonic has a specific flavor and is loaded with calories unless you get the "light" variety (well, loaded might be hyperbole, but it's around 100 cal for 8 oz, which to me is a lot for "water") whereas seltzer/soda water is merely unflavored, carbonated water with zero calories.

This was the first time I'd tried carbonated water of any kind (Turns out what I'm drinking is diet tonic water- I really didn't know) so I'm currently kind of hooked on it... but I am drinking the light version so no added cals as far as the tonic water itself goes (what I'm adding to it is another story though lol)

Also, I asked my dad about that too- I was curious and he usually knows stuff like that. He said tonic water also has something called "quinine" (I am not sure at all if I spelled that right). He said that prevents or treats (I can't remember exactly which he said) Malaria. Just a little bit of trivial information lol.
  • CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all...not got long, so just saying Hello before heading to the Rugby
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all! Really not up for saying much - surgery went well and I was discharged yesterday. I do better reclining on my side than I do sitting, and I do best standing up and walking, but I can't over do that, per Drs. orders for a little while.

Skinny - you did a great job with the roll-over! I'm catching up on posts little by little.

Andrea - so sorry to hear about your hubby's melanoma. Glad you got him in to get it removed. My prayers for him.

Keep up the good work everybody!:flowerforyou:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Sunday!

It is gorgeous here this morning, nice and cool - too bad it won't last. :frown: Several things to do today, including a workout with my trainer this afternoon. Last night my coffee maker died about 8pm - it hadn't been working right for a few weeks so I decided to clean it. Mistake! That did it in - luckily Target had what I needed and they were open, I couldn't imagine this morning without a pot of coffee!!! I have a Keurig as a backup, but enjoy making a full pot.

Re: Tonic versus Seltzer water. Seltzer water is just plain water that contains carbon dioxide to make it fizzy, and its calorie free. Tastes great with different fruit juices added - I like it with cranberry juice (the light variety - and of course vodka makes it even better :blushing: ). Tonic water does contain quinine, but less than it did when originally invented, it has a bitter taste and some varieties are sweetened. Whoever posted about the quinine and tonic being a treatment for malaria was correct - doctors even recommend drinking tonic water while in malaria-infected countries as a precaution. It also helps with muscle cramps.

Andrea~So sorry for everything you are going through right now, hang in there and take it just one day at a time.
    Howdy y'all! Really not up for saying much - surgery went well and I was discharged yesterday. I do better reclining on my side than I do sitting, and I do best standing up and walking, but I can't over do that, per Drs. orders for a little while.

Skinny - you did a great job with the roll-over! I'm catching up on posts little by little.

Andrea - so sorry to hear about your hubby's melanoma. Glad you got him in to get it removed. My prayers for him.

Keep up the good work everybody!:flowerforyou:

Its so great to "see" you Robin! Glad to hear the surgery went well, rest up and check in when you can! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @robin--so glad you are home and on the mend! :flowerforyou:

@kelley & raven--Yes, I knew about the quinine in tonic and its connection to malaria, but I didn't know about the muscle cramps.

@kelley--I guess your post answers my original question about what you call it, since you refer to it as "seltzer" throughout your response. You're in Texas, right? I remember getting funny looks for calling it that while on vacation in either New Orleans or Memphis, but I can't remember which. It's kind of funny b/c I always thought of it as "seltzer" but have found "soda" to be more common here in Chicago. I think perhaps my parents, who are Detroit natives, passed on the term "seltzer" to me. Oh, and soda is better with vodka too! :drinker:

@raven--I've tried tonic and just don't like the taste--it's such a strange mix of bitter and sweet. My mother, however, loves it--she drinks it straight with fresh lime (and occasionally some vodka :tongue: ).

@susan--yes, the bigger picture is so important!! It's way too easy to get hung up on the little ups and downs, and that will make you crazy! Congrats on your 19 lb loss and the smaller pants!!

Sunday Share:
    I have a meeting or appt. after work almost everyday this week, so exercise will be more difficult. :ohwell: Going to take that into account as I plan my work outs for the week:

Mon--walk dog (donating blood)
    Tues--walk dog + core work (union board mtg)
    Wed--long run w/ dog (faculty mtg)
    Thurs--core work (haircut/pedi)
    Fri--walk dog
    Sat--walk dog + gym
    Sun--walk dog + gym