Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Kah, I forgot to mention. If she eats canned food try slipping 1-2 tsp of canned pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling with spice, just plain pumpkin) into her canned food.

The fiber in the pumpkin should help pull hairballs through the regular way. It works wonders for MowMow during shedding season. (Be prepared for elephant size results in the litter box).

Thanks. :smile: She doesn't eat canned food and the vet doesn't want her having pumpkin (I asked yesterday since I gave it to Pebbles when she was in end-stage renal failure). Given her crazy fur, she actually doesn't expel hairballs often (three times in 2-1/2 years). They've given me a hairball elimination medication to give her a couple times a week. She also may as well get used the fact that she will be brushed regularly! :wink:
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @cblue... I am sorry for your loss.

@M0W... your post made me laugh.. I've done exactly the same thing. Cram lots of crap food in and feel awful the next day. I never get coupons for my birthday, I guess it's not a Canadian thing. Although there is a restaurant near me (buffet!) that offers free meals on your birthday. I went there once for mine.

Well, I need to work on staying under calories, although 2 of the days I was less than 50 over, so it doesn't count right? I was never over by much so it's a victory. The protein goal is easy as long as I'm prelogging (preplanning) my meals. I find this very useful as even though I plan my dinner for the next day, I often change my mind or grab something to eat so I have to swap foods from my dinner/evening snack. At least this way it's easy to make changes so I still meet my protein goal.

Work this week has been very busy. Because there was no mail delivery on Good Friday and Easter Monday, we had ALL that mail come in on Tuesday, and it was simply too much to do all in one day. That much mail is so heavy, literally, and I refuse to overdo it just to get it done, where I end up with a sore back, neck or shoulders. So I worked an extra 2 hours Tues and Wed, today I'm exhausted and realizing I won't be caught up until some time next week. We are supposed to get all the mail out every day but at times like this, supervisors are (thankfully) understanding to the fact that it will take some of us longer to catch up. Add to this the fact that it has been raining all week and I've been outside for about 5 hours a day, it has made for a completely miserable week.

I am curious to know from cat owners... my cat has not been drinking much water lately. I fill her food and water twice a day at the same time and generally the bowl is half empty by then. In the past 2 weeks the bowl has not been touched but twice, and both times she drank the entire bowl. She's eating fine, and is peeing normally from what I can tell when I empty her litter box. Otherwise she seems completely normal and healthy. Any opinions?

April Goals:

Track and stay under calories
    Fri:YES
    Sat:YES
    Sun:NO
    Mon:YES
    Tues:NO
    Wed:NO
    Thurs:YES
    Week 1: 1/2
    Week 2: 4/7

Meet protein goal of 120g
    Fri:YES
    Sat:YES
    Sun:YES
    Mon:YES
    Tues:YES
    Wed:YES
    Thurs:YES
    Week1: 2/2
    Week2: 7/7

Apr.2nd: 212 lb
    Apr. 10th: 205.6 lb
  • carlafoxx314
    carlafoxx314 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: I feel that I don't get this weight of me (1) I will lose my husband (2) I will begin to have major complications due to diabetes (3) I will die and not be able to watch my niece and nephew get older! Wow that felt great to be able to admit that! I've always been a "plus sized queen woman" even when I got married but due to depression I've gotten bigger so this is very important to me! I'm on the net searching out new ways to prepare my food, healthy snacks, and how count the nutritional values in my food. I'm also happy to say that I'm sharing this journey with my brother Bernard! If anyone can help with in advice with meals, snacks, and nutritional value I welcome all suggestions and encouragement!
  • carlafoxx314
    carlafoxx314 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *if* sorry about the typo
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow! My computer went down and had to go for repair. Just got it up and running this evening ... and see that I have 296 notifications of posts on this thread ... I left off on page 693 and it has advanced some 10 pages since my last post.

I'll catch up to everyone as I get back into the groove ... but first my income taxes need to get done and filed ...
    Follow-through, Niki

PS ... just looked back and found the April Challenge. This is Thursday so ...
    The truth is I that while I haven't been able to log on MFP since my computer was down and out, I did log in a paper journal. No idea how my calories came in and I'm not going to go back and log them at this point.

My April Challenge is to eat more vegetables and less fruits in a day. I usually got a good amount of that kind of carb, but the fruit was becoming more frequent than the veggies ... so I'm aimint to keep both in my plan, but at a better proportion to one another ... no more than 3 servings of fruit and not less than 3 servings of veggies a day.

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Well, it's time for Thursday truth. The last couple of days the cookie monster in me has had too much control. I've come in barely on calories, but I'm not sure I have an accurate count on the cookies.
    @Lori I'm sorry about your sister, both the loss and the feelings that you are struggling with.
    My progress on my goals has been mixed. I have learned that it isn't a good idea to start the last 30oz bottle of water after 8:30 pm.
    Log calories: 6/9
    Water: 9/9
    Exercise: 9/9
    Walking: 22.3 miles
    pedaling: 2 hrs 45 min
    I could offer excuses for the poor logging, but they don't lead to weight loss. The bottom line is that I just have to quit making excuses and do it.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @cblue315 - Lori, I am so sorry about your sister. Just because you weren't close doesn't mean you won't miss her, and it's natural to both regret the lack of closeness and to feel relief when a source of discord is gone. Forgive yourself for your less than stellar feelings and allow for whatever grief is necessary.
    @tlh0407 & @MyM0wM0w - happy belated birthday!
    @MyM0wM0w - didn't know that about pumpkin, I wonder if I could get my cat to eat some..... and your poor kitty with the horseradish sauce - hopefully he learned his lesson!
    @kah68 - what in the world is a Fluminator brush?
  • Marie4558
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope you are having a lovely evening!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth...that if I don't organize myself I am one step from insanity. That if I don't keep myself in check, then I feel like a failure.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @lori--so sorry for the loss of your sister.

@kaye--I'm feeling the same way. I could give a bunch of reasons for my poor choices in food lately, but the bottom line is they are still my choices.

@niki--glad to see you back--was wondering what happened to you. :smile:

@tracy (tlh) & kris (mow)--Happy belated birthday to both of you!

@carla--it's great that you and your brother will be doing this together. Come back to this thread often for support and advice.

@tanya--I'd never really thought about how holidays affect a mail carrier's workload--god luck catching up. I'm also doing well on the protein goal but have been over calories more often than I'd like. This week will be better.

@amy--last week at my doctor appt, I had a similar experience. It was in the afternoon, so I'd eaten and drank water all day, plus I was fully clothed and wearing shoes, but it still made me cringe to see that 191, when I am always in the mid-180's at home. :angry:

@tracy (goins)--glad you found a way to fit in a workout during your lunch break!

AFM--We had some pretty serious storms here over the past 24 hours including some scary tornadoes just west of where I live in northern IL. They started last night and gunner spent over an hour pacing, whining, and growling which severely cut into my sleep time (which most of you know isn't much to begin with). Then he was up early this morning crying to go out even though it was still raining. I felt like a zombie all day at school, and though I could have used it as an excuse to skip my trip to the gym, I knew working out would actually make me feel better. It did, and after coming home to shower and eat dinner, I headed to starbucks to do some grading.

Thankful tomorrow is friday and I have very little scheduled this weekend. The rest of April is going to be a whirlwind. I have our union RA (representative assembly) next Wed-Sat, plus plans for both days that weekend. Also, lots of doctor's appts (podiatrist, ortho, dentist), plus final meetings to present our contract to the union membership.

Thursday Truth:
    Well, as I mentioned above, I'm doing okay with the protein goal, I'm still over calories too often. I need to plan better and get to the gym more often.

April Challenge:

Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 5/7 days a week
    Week 1: At/over 90g of protein 6/7
    Week 2: At/over 90g of protein 2/7
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7
    Week 4: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 runs
    Week 2: 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 Wuthering Heights reflections
    2. 36/60 political cartoon analyses
    3. x/64 Lit theory papers

Exercise Goals: (week 1)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + played with niece
    Mon--rest day
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed--rest day
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I remembered to post last night at 12:02 so I didn't bother. But there goes my logging in everyday. My son is having a sleep over tonight so I don't know how much sleep I will get wondering what they are up to... LOL
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12~LOL The Furminator is a special overpriced ($50!) brush for cats/dogs that removes their undercoat—it decreases shedding. I had one for short-haired cats and I think it was irritating Zoe’s skin, so picked one up for long-haired cats (she is a ball of fur). You can give cats canned pumpkin in small quantities (1-2 tsp for digestive issues)—but you can’t give them much (can lead to diarrhea). My vet doesn't want Zoe, who is 2, to have it yet though.

@NK1112~Welcome back, wondered where you disappeared to. I know all too well about computer issues, luckily I have a tablet and phone as backup for most things.

@Karen~I heard on the news this morning about the storms in northern Illinois, immediately thought of you. Looks like they were pretty severe, hope your area was spared too much damage. Spring weather can be so scary; so far the storms here have been west and haven’t been too bad—still the rest of April and May to get through though. :scream:

AFM~Yep, exercise has been abysmal again this week—mostly due to getting the guest bedroom ready to paint, which I’m postponing to next weekend since I am still on the fence about color. I had it chosen but have been looking at quilts and coverlets for that room, so am undecided—again! Then last night a friend from work came by to pick up some furniture she wanted that I was going to donate to Goodwill. Zoe woke me up twice last night to cuddle and she was more energetic this morning—hopefully she is coming around from whatever ailed her. I’m excited, I’ve been tracking my new Fitbit and it should be here today—guess we know what I’m doing tonight! :lol: Then I need to get back into my exercise routine, I'm one of those that doesn't lose weight consistently without exercise.

So this weekend will be spent shopping and deciding on color for the guest bedroom (fingers crossed), not much housework since I did a lot of it this week. I may finally get to the bike shop too. I’m off Monday, so planning to get car inspected. Afterwards, I plan on having lunch with a friend and then baking cookies in afternoon for co-workers birthday on Tuesday.

I stopped at Starbucks for the first time since Ash Wednesday, enjoying a delicious latte right now (which I will later regret because of the milk :frowning:).
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just returned again. I have been overweight since my last child was born (over 25 years). I have had enough of this large body. As I was telling some co-workers, my fat clothes are becoming way to tight. I am not willing to go shopping for larger sizes. I want to do this for several reasons. I am going to be 55 this year and I want to enjoy myself more, not just sit around and watch my life dwindle. I enjoy camping as a getaway, but I end up spending most of the time just sitting around watching other campers enjoying themselves.

In November, I had a knee replacement and have been restricted from exercising excessively. Before my knee got so bad, I logged all of my meal and snacks (not the most nutritional, as I do not like a lot of fruits and salads really burn me out quickly) and went to the gym at least twice weekly. I had great results, down close to 30 lbs. I felt much better about myself and my confidence was very high.

Today is my last follow up appt. with Doc, and afterwards I am going across the street and joining the gym. I used to walk everywhere all of the time. I want to get back to that. I need to get back to that.

I weighed in on Monday, 4/6/15 at 320 lbs. (my highest ever). Today I weighed in again and I am down 7 lbs. I understand some of this was water weight due to the high sodium diet I was eating, but this has given me more incentive to get on with this life change. I started logging my intake on Tuesday. I went over on calories Tuesday, was under on Wednesday and was over slightly yesterday.

I am determined to lose half of me!!! Right now my first goal is to make sure I don't go back to the old habits of eating everything in front of me just because it's there. I am working on pushing my plate away when I feel full. This is hard for me, I was raised, like most in the 60's, that you don't get up from the table until your plate is clean. Old habits die hard.

Thanks for reading my rant and I would like to have some friends to keep me motivated.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning all.

Happy National Sibling Day
    Date When Celebrated : Always April 10
    National Sibling Day is a day to appreciate and cherish your brothers and sisters. Siblings are truly a special blessing that we probably all too often take for granted. They are often our best friends and supporters through life. Another reason to celebrate is that not everyone is lucky enough to have siblings. Their lives are significantly different growing up, and throughout life.
    Celebrate National Sibling Day in a variety of ways. It's a great time to be thankful for your sibling. But, most importantly get in touch with your siblings. Visit them if they live nearby. Call them, if they live far away. Send them a card, a letter, gifts, or flowers.

I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else. ~Winston Churchill

Tom
  • kaliyuga2012
    kaliyuga2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm relatively new here and would love to join the thread and have some friends. Been at this weight loss business a bit over 6weeks but on MFP for just under a month. Fairly good success and consistency on my part up until my daughter was hospitalized last week with pneumonia. I didn't dare leave her side which meant purchasing food from the hospital cadeteria instead of preparing it for myself. Given the circumstances I also ended up eating emotionally, for comfort at first then, as she began to really recover, I ate out of boredom stuck in that little room. Fortunately my daughter has been out for about a week, and I'm back in the saddle so to speak. I feared I had gained weight while staying with her at the hospital. Mercifully I just stayed where I was weight wise. I'm greatly relieved that all these pressures are off now (worry, fear, guilt, boredom, etc.) . I felt guilty even thinking of my own diet and comparatively selfish ends while my daughter struggled with exacerbated asthma symptoms brought on by the infection. She was a mess and it frightened me. Especially when they wouldn't allow her to eat for two days because she was gasping too hard, they thought she'd choke. How have any of you who are prone to emotional eating dealt with similar challenges? I'd like to have a tool in my toolbox should this kind of thing happen again. Thank you all!
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @kaliyuga2012 - Welcome! Wow...sounds like you've had an exciting start to your weight loss journey. Glad to hear that your daughter is better now. We are all going to have those hiccups in life where the unexpected happens and we aren't prepared or those emotions creep up and try to sabotage us. It sounds like you did well in your circumstances and didn't gain, so I'd consider that a win! My only advice is that when you end up having to eat without a plan that you try to find something fresh to eat versus packaged. I always look for a lean meat or other protein and veggies or fruit. And, of course, watch your portions. And, when life gets in the way of exercise routine, I just try to go for a walk if I can.

@Morgori - Love the Churchill quote! And, I will have to find a way to wish my sisters a happy sibling day. I see some of my fb friends are already posting stuff.

@2BaNewMe2 - Welcome! I have the same guilt feelings about not cleaning my plate. Not a child of the 60's, but my parents were and passed that on. Farm families both, so they worked hard for the stuff on their plates! My way around the empty plate syndrome is to begin with a plate full of everything that I can and should finish. This means cooking less, and to put lots and lots of veggies on there which are generally very low cal and high nutritional value.

@kah68- Glad Zoe is feeling better. :)

@AngelikaLumiere - At least you thought to log on, even if it was 12:02. That's barely breaking your streak. Hope you are able to get some zzz's tonight!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Good job on not skipping the gym! Poor Gunner during the storms. Our last tornado to touch down here was three years ago. Both human children and both cats were pressed up against me and we were all covered with a blanket together in the basement! You won't find both cats under a blanket with my squirmy children any other time!

@Ann- No need to feel like you are a failure. You failed, but YOU are not a failure. I love organization, and I agree that it does help keep me sane!

@Marie4558 - Thanks, I DID have a lovely evening last night! I hope you did, too. :)

@grandmakaye44 - Nike swoosh to you! Just do it. :)

@NK1112 - Glad to see you back online! Great goal for April.

@carlafoxx314 - Welcome! How wonderful that your brother is working to lose weight with you. It always helps to have a partner on the way. The best thing to do when you're first starting out and to help make a lasting change, is to take things in small chunks. So, start with one thing you will do differently, do it until it sticks and then move on to the next thing. Don't feel like you have to eat perfectly all at once. You will find the foods that taste best to you, but also keep you full and provide a good balance of nutrition over time. You could try adding one new healthy food/new recipe per week to trial run different foods. If it's terrible, never eat it again, but if it's good then you can add that to your regular menu. Over time, your regular diet will transform into a healthier one.

@Tanya949 - I saw my mail carrier plugging along with his huge sack in the rain yesterday and thought of you. I'm glad that your supervisors are understanding so you don't have to hurt yourself with too large a load.

@tlh0407 - I don't know what's worse: being the first in the family to come down with one of those awful stomach bugs and be blind-sided with misery; or to be the other family members waiting and wondering if/when will it hit me?? ;) Hope you're all feeling better fast!

@MrsMorgori - Ha! You are going to hula your way to the World Championships of Wii hula hooping, I'm sure. Intense! :)

@myM0wM0w - Thank goodness birthdays (and free birthday coupons) only come once per year!

AFM- I got my Friday Fitness covered today. We took the kids to a local hotel last night for some spring break fun. They have a nice pool and a water slide. So, I have done a lot of swimming both last night and this morning.
    I also skipped my run Thursday because of the weather and other errands, so I hopped on the hotel's treadmill this morning before everyone else woke up. The display on it was broken, so I have no idea how fast or inclined I was going...but I did wear my fuel band, so I figure I went about 1.5 miles.

Under Calories: 3/7

Tues-Run 2: MISSED
    Wed-XT:DONE
    Thurs-Run 2:RESTED
    Fri-Rest:RAN 1.5, SWAM
    Sat-Run 2.5:
    Sun-Run/Walk 1.5:
    Mon-Rest:

2015 Mantra: You Know Better! ~and~ Finish This Baby!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm relatively new here and would love to join the thread and have some friends. Been at this weight loss business a bit over 6weeks but on MFP for just under a month. Fairly good success and consistency on my part up until my daughter was hospitalized last week with pneumonia. I didn't dare leave her side which meant purchasing food from the hospital cadeteria instead of preparing it for myself. Given the circumstances I also ended up eating emotionally, for comfort at first then, as she began to really recover, I ate out of boredom stuck in that little room. Fortunately my daughter has been out for about a week, and I'm back in the saddle so to speak. I feared I had gained weight while staying with her at the hospital. Mercifully I just stayed where I was weight wise. I'm greatly relieved that all these pressures are off now (worry, fear, guilt, boredom, etc.) . I felt guilty even thinking of my own diet and comparatively selfish ends while my daughter struggled with exacerbated asthma symptoms brought on by the infection. She was a mess and it frightened me. Especially when they wouldn't allow her to eat for two days because she was gasping too hard, they thought she'd choke. How have any of you who are prone to emotional eating dealt with similar challenges? I'd like to have a tool in my toolbox should this kind of thing happen again. Thank you all!

kaliyuga2012- The first thing that came to my mind when reading this is you know how the flight attendants says to put on your oxygen mask first if they drop so you can then take care of your children... So I'm thinking there must be a good balancing point of taking care of yourself so you are healthy enough to care for your family. :)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday from the rainy coastal tip of Oregon! Husband and I have joined an aquatic center, and yesterday visited it for the first time. He did 35 min of circuit training, and I did 35 min swimming about 10 laps on the regulation lap pool. Abit daunting looking and my eyeballs look like a drug user today, (need to buy googles!), but it was a blast. Tonight, when my teenager gets home we are all going there for "family circuit training night!". I have a community garden plot up the street, and this past wednesday I pulled weeds and sweated for about 1 hr! I bought some starters of beans, zucchini, Japanese cucumber, spinach and tomato...so all my favorite foods :-) Oh and strawberries. Need a fair day to plant them all. Excited about all that! We are about 5 minutes from Youngs Bay, so we try to walk that on the weekend. Planning on Tues and Thurs at the aquatics center, then one day during the week of walking each isle of the huge @$$ grocery store, and then working in the garden. That plus walking up to the cute library....husband retired early because of liver issues, but has rec'd a transplant last May, (almost his yr anniversary) and so we just mostly play all the time. Lots of antique stores, events to attend here. End of this month is a Wine and Crab Festival I am so excited for! Also my TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibily) group has a retreat kind of deal down the coast at Depoe Bay, and we have rented a house. Many groups from outlining areas partaking. About 20+ ladies in a three bedroom house, all talking....taking my Tylenol because I know I shall be up late, with all the seminars and functions we shall be attending....fun times.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am back for now. I ran into a major computer problem on Monday when the powercord for my Mac wanted to catch fire. It started smoking and I was holding it trying to get my computer to charge. Needless to say, the plug was pulled very quickly from the computer and the wall. Tuesday, went to the Apple store to look for a new one but they didn't carry them. however the associate was great and helped me to locate it on Amazon. Tonight it finally was order. Needless to say, my computer is dead at this point and I won't get it back up and running until next week. I am borrowing my mom's computer right now but it is running slow and driving me crazy. I did learn about the new mac that is coming out this month so I am excited about that. It may be time to upgrade from the Powerbook G4.

This has been a crazy week and very busy with work activities and after work meetings. At least with all the work I have not been overeating and staying on track. Tonight, I took a break from climbing partially because I am tired and because I think I have strained several muscles in my chest. Not the most comfortable area to strain muscles (pecks) and they take a while to recover. I have a feeling it has to do with swimming the butterfly and climbing. I will take it easy at swim tomorrow, need to stay loose for the upcoming triathlon next Saturday. No climbing until after the triathlon since I want all the bruises to heal.

My dad had some problems with walking on Wednesday night and ended up having the fire department come in to help get him into bed. He wasn't acting crazy or incoherent, he just couldn't walk very well. Still don't know what caused it (maybe the neuropathy) but he got better as Thursday went on. I went to work but ended up coming home since I could not handle work that day. Luckily, I have an intern who was teaching and a co-teacher who was willing to sit in my class all day. My students were wonderful today when I returned, they even asked about my Dad. They are aware of some of his history, since I have been out before because of him. It has made for a very long week. The bright side was that I went to the gym and had a nice easy run that actually felt good.

tlh and Mow- Happy Belated Birthday's, hope you had a wonderful day. Best wishes for the years ahead.

Karen- Congrats on reaching a tentative agreement. Best of luck getting approved by all parties.

Welcome to the Newbies- I am looking forward to getting to know you. Hope you come back and post often.

As I mentioned above, I am preparing for a triathlon next Saturday so this week, the goal is to keep everything loose by doing light workouts.

Saturday- Swim (a few fast sprints and some longer distances)
    Sunday- Bike ride
    Monday- Trainer with running involved
    Tuesday-bike
    Wednesday- Swim light workout easy
    Thursday- rest
    Friday- rest
    Saturday-Triathlon

I am ready for the triathlon and finally found an outfit that will work. I will be swimming in my normal swim suit and changing into the shorts and top at the pool. I still have the one piece options to try on so I will see what happens.

I hope to check in regularly this week but may not be able to due to computer issues.

Have a great week.

• GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @LaurieK70 - can't wait to hear how the triathlon goes, good luck! I hope your swim is fast and smooth, you bike ride is swift and uneventful, and your run is effortless and successful!