My friend is on a 1000 calorie diet

Options
She weight about 157 pounds and is doing the Brazil Butt Lift and we're both in cheerleading together. Also, she's getting back on Body by Vi shakes too. She's desperately trying to lose weight. I tried to explain to her that 1000 calories a day is not good for her. What do I do?

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Why do you think 1k calories is bad for her?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do but be and good example for her....and be there to console her when she gains the weight back. Which she will.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    1000 is too low. She isn't even obese.
  • ashtonvv
    Options
    Educate her?

I was in a similar situation and got tired of "talking to the wall". Sometimes people need to fail in order to learn. Rough, I know but you can only help someone if they're willing to take it. She may need to figure it out on her own, or she may see that you are doing well and eating more and become interested in what you're doing!
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You can't do anything. I know someone eating 900 calories a day (and I know for sure she needs more than this, I've run the calculations, but whatever) and nothing I say will trump her DOCTOR'S recommendation.. The same doctor that put her on Phentermine and 20g of carbs a day. She's losing weight like crazy. But she said herself that she's done this before (and gained it all back).

Just like there's nothing you can do to tell someone who is morbidly obese that they need to lose weight. Or tell an anorexic person that they need to eat.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

So by your own opinion, 1k calories is too low. That's hardly going to convince anyone to get off a 1k calorie diet.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just talking to her? Maybe if you explain that if she wants to be healthy and keep the weight off, she needs to change her lifestyle, she'll listen. If she doesn't take her time and tries to change too many things at once, she will burn out... and she will gain the weight back.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day for an athlete is not wise. Cheerleading can require a good bit of energy depending on what a person's role is.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    She probably isn't open to hearing what you have to say. What do you do? Don't get sucked in to her way of thinking. Love your body, love yourself and EAT your calories
  • ashtonvv
    Options

So by your own opinion, 1k calories is too low. That's hardly going to convince anyone to get off a 1k calorie diet.

When she crashes, or ends up in th hospital she might get off of it. Low calorie diets are such BS unless you plan on eating that way for the rest of your life.

I'll take my 1700-2000 calories per day, and my consistent loss over that any day lol.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Just lead by example. That is the only thing you can do.
  • misskristy30
    Options
    I definitely agree that 1,000 calories a day is too low..and really low if she's active. But it sounds like you've tried. She may not listen unfortunately.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

When she crashes, or ends up in th hospital she might get off of it. Low calorie diets are such BS unless you plan on eating that way for the rest of your life.

I'll take my 1700-2000 calories per day, and my consistent loss over that any day lol.

Would be nice if you could back up your claims without fear mongering. Maybe a research paper or a link to an article that shows 1k calories being detrimental to someone's health? When you say crash, what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here but I when someone makes a claim, I would like to see some solid evidence instead of the same old fear mongering mumbo jumbo. There's a lot of misinformation in the fitness world and it doesn't help when people make wild accusations.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Nothing. You can't do anything. I know someone eating 900 calories a day (and I know for sure she needs more than this, I've run the calculations, but whatever) and nothing I say will trump her DOCTOR'S recommendation.. The same doctor that put her on Phentermine and 20g of carbs a day. She's losing weight like crazy. But she said herself that she's done this before (and gained it all back).

Just like there's nothing you can do to tell someone who is morbidly obese that they need to lose weight. Or tell an anorexic person that they need to eat.

This is the type of misinformation that I am talking about. Why do you believe your opinion trumps your friend's doctor? Big emphasis on DOCTOR.
  • ashtonvv
    Options

Would be nice if you could back up your claims without fear mongering. Maybe a research paper or a link to an article that shows 1k calories being detrimental to someone's health? When you say crash, what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not trying to put you on the spot here but I when someone makes a claim, I would like to see some solid evidence instead of the same old fear mongering mumbo jumbo. There's a lot of misinformation in the fitness world and it doesn't help when people make wild accusations.

FIRST off, I have been an athlete all my life, I know first hand that if this person is doing what she is describing she is not eating enough to compensate for her workouts. If your body is burning close to 1000 calories a day with the work outs, what is left over ?!

SECOND, I have a friend that ended up in the hospital from eating the same way (athletic, 145 lbs, 5'3) eating roughly 1100 per day (even with her workouts and practices).

As far as solid evidence, there are countless articles and websites promoting healthy weight loss, any fitness plan would not restrict someone to that unless there is a medical reason. Even MFP will set someone at a 1200 minimum (which is still too low for most people).

Weight loss is simple, calories in calories out while watching your macros and other percentages. Firstly, you would need to figure out your BMR and TDEE to even know where you should be eating (fit-fatradio.com has all these calculatons for you).

I also don't see any solid arguments from you either, other than calling me and another poster out on our "fear mongering" post.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/194142-risks-of-a-low-calorie-diet/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/278787-risks-of-losing-fat-fast/?utm_source=undefined_R1
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Keep an eye on your friend and let her know that you love her. It's her journey. Just try to lead by example. She may pick up some of your good habits.
  • munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That is pretty low. When you're active, you need those calories to fuel your body. She's basically starving herself. Brazil Butt Lift is from Beachbody. Has she tried shakeology? I know it works!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    FIRST off, I have been an athlete all my life, I know first hand that if this person is doing what she is describing she is not eating enough to compensate for her workouts. If your body is burning close to 1000 calories a day with the work outs, what is left over ?!

Stored energy which is commonly referred to as fats.

SECOND, I have a friend that ended up in the hospital from eating the same way (athletic, 145 lbs, 5'3) eating roughly 1100 per day (even with her workouts and practices).

Don't know much about your friend and her exact diet so I can't comment on that. I can make up a true scary story though. Almost half of the adult Americans are obese and are at risk of type 2 diabetes and could end up getting their leg amputated. I personally think my story is scarier as it affects a much larger population and involves losing limbs.

As far as solid evidence, there are countless articles and websites promoting healthy weight loss, any fitness plan would not restrict someone to that unless there is a medical reason. Even MFP will set someone at a 1200 minimum (which is still too low for most people).

Healthy is a general term. There is no set definition of healthy eating in nutritional journals.

I also don't see any solid arguments from you either, other than calling me and another poster out on our "fear mongering" post.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/194142-risks-of-a-low-calorie-diet/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/278787-risks-of-losing-fat-fast/?utm_source=undefined_R1

The only real risks such as heart diseases and irregular heart beats from those articles are talking about a VLC-diets. Those are diets under 800 calories and not the 1k diets, as defined in your very own article. Even if it was true a VLC-diet, it can be manageable if done properly. Link below for an example of someone who did a true VLC-Diet and lived to tell the tale.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121060001&page=1
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1000 calories of healthy food is NOT starvation. The body can get every nutrient it needs with that number of calories. Not everyone needs to be a glutton.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Woah, that is really low. Try complimenting her on how she's getting in to shape, maybe that would get her to see she can eat more than just 1000 calories a day.