Excess skin issues

Options
Hi, I have lost almost 92 pounds and my husbnad has lost over 150 and we are dealing with issues because of excess skin and the problems you get like being uncomfortable during exercise and my husband gets rashes and sores. We use mediacted powders and athletes foot spray and if rashes occur we use creams for that. We are both very clean people and try to keep everything dry. I just found a tank top for men that seems to help my husband a little. We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it. I guess what I am looking for is some sort of advice to be more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, dealing with these issues is way better than being morbidly obese but they just don't have anything on the internet to help you figure this kind of thing out.

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    ugh im trying to find the name of the product now, but I am having no luck. I saw an advertisement for these sheets of medicated fabric (looked like they might be the size of a large paper towel?) that wick away moisture and have anti-fungal properties, and it looked like you would put them in problem areas like under your breasts or belly and it would prevent exactly what you are talking about. I'm sorry I can't find the name of the product, but, there is such a thing.
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful product. I will be googling that right now. Thanks. lol
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it.

According to research "loose Skin" is not what most people think it is. I myself was considering surgery as well but then I found out that unless your skin is paper thin (or around the thickness of the skin on back of your hand) then it is not "loose" but a layer of subcutaneous fat. If you keep loosing weight it WILL firm up. This may take a little longer for your skin to tighten IF you have been overweight for many years (like me). Don't go under a knife till it is 100% needed. Just keep of your great progress and be patient it will happen Without surgery. Trust me, I look alot better with pants on since the "loose skin" hides and you see a more toned looking stomach. It is annoying I know but the only thing I would recommend is keep going. If you want to help with the skin tightening in a more healthy and possibly faster I would say try mixing cocoa butter lotion and scar gel (I buy my scar gel at a dollar store for a buck) and Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Read this http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more info.
  • brookjodie
    Options
    Thanks, that gives me a lot of hope. My issues aren't nearly as bad as my husbands and I think I could actually live with it. We both still have a long way to go and you're right, things are always changing and shifting around because we exercise and do a ton of core exercises and eat very healthy. We are doing it the right way this time and I think you are right and we will have skin issues here and there. Thanks. :)
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Spanx for men (www.spanx.com).
  • DaSavedSinner
    Options
    Spanx for men (www.spanx.com).

looks like a great product...I just don't see myself paying that much for a plain shirt...Alot of athletic brands can do that same effect for about 1/10 the price.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it.

According to research "loose Skin" is not what most people think it is. I myself was considering surgery as well but then I found out that unless your skin is paper thin (or around the thickness of the skin on back of your hand) then it is not "loose" but a layer of subcutaneous fat. If you keep loosing weight it WILL firm up. This may take a little longer for your skin to tighten IF you have been overweight for many years (like me). Don't go under a knife till it is 100% needed. Just keep of your great progress and be patient it will happen Without surgery. Trust me, I look alot better with pants on since the "loose skin" hides and you see a more toned looking stomach. It is annoying I know but the only thing I would recommend is keep going. If you want to help with the skin tightening in a more healthy and possibly faster I would say try mixing cocoa butter lotion and scar gel (I buy my scar gel at a dollar store for a buck) and Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Read this http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Reading this made my day. I haven't gotten to the loose skin stage yet, Im a bit nervous about it
  • lululucky1
    lululucky1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Skin is constantly changing...add strength training to your workouts and loose weight slowly. I would give it time before surgery. I use body glide in all areas that rub, it helps with chaffing. I have also found that tights help prevent thigh rub, under amour shirts are also great. Good luck:smile:
  • DaSavedSinner
    Options

Reading this made my day. I haven't gotten to the loose skin stage yet, Im a bit nervous about it

Yea i used to worry mean...Not to be vulgar but I once bent over and told my wife it looks like old lady breasts. But its starting to disapear (thank god) i have around 20lbs left to go while trying to put on more lean muscle. So I gotta smile at that.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out and have about 60lbs to go. In praying my skin will sort itself out :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have similar issue. There are some great advise above. Thanks for that. I started introducing more strength training and also use a moisturizer. Not sure if it is helping but we just have to give it time. Congrats on your amazing weight loss and keep up the great work.
  • LindaVas
    LindaVas Posts: 127 Member
    Options

There is hope! Thank you!! :happy:
  • relucas81
    Options
    After weighing 450+ for about 10 years, I lost almost 300 pounds, and simply had to bite the bullet and get several procedures done all over my body. (Full body lift, skin excision from chest, lower arms, back, and inner thighs)... Overall I had over 20 lbs of skin removed. (No liposuction, I had lost all excess "fat)

Thankfully I had great credit, and was able to finance the 40,000 it cost to have this done. But its worth it to feel comfortable, and to look great naked!
  • CandyTX
    Options
    I have now lost over 184 pounds. I have skin on top of skin. It's a mess, plainly put.

Frankly, the chances of it firming up are slim if you have lost a whole lot. Especially your husband. It has to do with genetics as well as how long you were overweight. I was SMO for the past 20+ years. My skin is stretched out and while it might tighten a little, it ain't tightening up 200 pounds of abuse.

The ONLY thing that helps me is baby cornstarch (NOT powder - cornstarch). I put it on my thighs, under my upper tummy, under lower tummy, breasts and arms. Otherwise I get rashes and stuff. It is just part of my daily thing.

When I lean over, I have 6 udders LOL. Ya know... it just is it what it is. It's my skin and I have to live with it for now. One day I'll figure out a way to pay to have it removed when I'm closer to goal (I have another 15 to go to my first goal, but will likely lose another 20-30 depending on how I feel.
  • katweeks63
    Options

This is a great article! I am passing it on to my daughter-in-law who has had 4 babies in 5 years and her tummy is so streached out of shape that we all thought her only option was surgery.
  • brookjodie
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your advice and encouragement is overwhelming. Good luck to everyone with these issues.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    good link
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is true, but I heard some hospitals that specialize in major burn trauma, will do the skin removal surgery for hardly any cost if you donate the skin for burn victims. Something to check into.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump. I am worried about this too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!