cost of gym membership?

Options
I am looking for a gym; just to have basic access to weight machines and cardio equipment...I have an appointment this afternoon at one of the local chain gyms to check it out.

Anyway, I was wondering what do you pay for your gym membership?

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine is $40 a month
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The equivalent of around 25 USD per month for unlimited access. It's a basic gym. But it has free weights, and squat racks. So I'm happy.

--P
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I pay 75 a month to the local ymca but that is for me and two kids, it would be around 40-45 for just me.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to in my town is very reasonable. If you sign up for with a 1 year contract, it is $29.99 a month and that includes up to 4 people in your household.
  • kinghavok
    Options
    Golds is 28 per month, Planet fitness can be got for as little as 10 per month but ehh
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    $49/mo
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness, it's like $30 a month I think. We bought a year so it's all paid for. At the community center you can use the gym for free, but it's sooo crappy hahaha.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mine is €16 per month (which is about $20-$21) for unlimited access.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Our apartment complex has an agreement with the local gym. For the length of our lease, I pay a one time fee of $75 (for 24hr access...if I didn't want that access then I would have only paid $50). It works out fantastically plus it's the closest around.
  • ronleuty
    ronleuty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At a YMCA, I pay around $60 per month, which includes weights, cardio machines and the basketball court, and all classes are free.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alberta, paying 20 biweekly, which includes all classes, not that I take them. It's only a block away, which is a huge plus:)
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Planet fitness can be got for as little as 10 per month but ehh

Depends on what your needs are. If all you want is access to a treadmill/weight machines, you can get that at planet fitness for super cheap. If you want classes and other stuff then yeah it's not a good choice, but it's fine for somebody at a very basic level, and may even be better for people who are intimidated by joining a gym, as I was. The one near me is running a $99 for a year special right now. It isn't a perfectly flat $10 a month though, there is a sign up fee and annual maintenance fees, but it's still probably the cheapest gym around.
  • MJesuele126
    MJesuele126 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mine was 299 down but only 10 dollars a month after that and no breaking contract fees. But then they got Zumba so I pay an extra 10 for that but all other classes are free.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I work at the gym part time, have for 12 years, get a free membership.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The gym down the street from me is over $300 per month or $35 per day. Sooo expensive I do my training at home :-(((
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I go to my local Anytime Fitness. There's basic weights, cardio, and some other machines. I pay $33 a month for 18 months. If I want to use the tanning bed it's extra, but no I don't wish to use the tanning bed. I've lost over 50lbs going to Anytime so you don't need much to get the job done. Good luck!!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Mine is $25.00 a month and worth every cent. Mine is not a chain gym though the chain gyms tend to be cheaper
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    $50 with a one year contract...It was cheaper if I payed for the full year up front.

When I shopped around that was the general price for a single membership. Most have 1 year contracts.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    $50 a month, but I get a free membership since I work there.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I crossfit.... you do not want to know....