OK I am a fat chick who loves wine

Options
12346»

Replies

• MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Maybe u could try cutting down to just the odd glasses of wine a week or maybe even try a low alcohol wine or even alcohol free x
  • Maddielen
    Options
    I love wine.

Here are 3 suggestions that are working for me:

1. Pick one day a week and make it "NO liquid calories" - - no wine, soda, anything liquid with calories. Lots of water. I don't feel deprived without wine one day. Sometimes I challenge myself to do it two days a week. The other days, I enjoy good wine.

2. I make it a point to drink my 8 glasses of water before I drink wine. Gives me something to look forward to afterwards. Then I enjoy good wine.

3. If I know I'm going to be drinking a lot - then I do add zero calorie flavored seltzer (green apple, white grape, etc) to my white wine (never red!). It allows me to enjoy the social aspects of wine and not consume as many calories.

Otherwise, I enjoy good wine and the company that goes with it.
  • Maddielen
    Options
    "Wine - how classy people get shirt-faced"

That always makes me laugh. But I still love my wine.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    "Experimental data in combination with epidemiologic findings suggest that alcohol energy counts more in moderate nondaily alcohol consumers than in some moderate daily and all heavy consumers. Accordingly the question is not "Whether alcohol calories do count" but "How much do alcohol calories count?". There seems to be a large individual variability according to the absolute amount of alcohol consumed, the drinking frequency as well as genetic factors. Presently it can be said that alcohol calories count more in moderate nondaily consumers than in daily (heavy) consumers. Further, they count more in combination with a high-fat diet and in overweight and obese subjects."
    Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2005;42(3):197-227.

Favorite study drink every day and the calories wont count, LOL!
  • wlgoal
    Options
    I agree, I don't think you are being rude, I think you are realistic. Weight loss and being healthy takes work and sacrifices! I have turned down cake and ice cream at parties if I know I am already close to being over or I will be by the end of the day. It sucks, but if you eat too much once (or twice) it is easy to become a habit.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Did I post this and forget? Good to know another "fat chick" loves her wine. I say drink it. Be happy. Tell all the teetotalers to enjoy their green tea (GAG!) and grab another glass of vino. Just make room for it in your diet. I've seen plenty of people on MFP get more calories in the form of soda than from food, and they never get criticized the way we alcohol drinkers do. I don't know about you, but I'm not here to be perfect. I just want to learn how to eat a healthier (NOT PERFECT) diet. Don't let them get you down. I'm off to a beer and wine festival now. For reals!!! Over and out - with a glass of Moscato in my hand!
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is how people have 1-2 glasses... and what do they do with the rest of the bottle? I drink rarely but one reason I drink so rarely is the bottle goes bad if I don't drink it all.

I drink white wine/moscato rarely.

Get a wine pump! You put it the rubber cork then pump out the air and it seals. Lasts forever like that. I got mine at Home Outfitters (Canada). Also, I let myself have 1 small glass a couple times a week and I love wine.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I see people on 1200 calorie diets saving 1000 cals so they can go out drinking. That's what I'm talking about. That's idiotic because alcohol is not nutrition. Argue all day long if you want, but you will never convince me otherwise.
  • whitcla
    whitcla Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can get low cal wine, reduced carb wine and I hear pink champagne is low in cal. I drink gin and slim line tonic - It's good on cal and is also FAB after a stressful day in the office ;)
  • empressizm
    empressizm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my wine too and I drink it regularly. I also work out MORE the days I know im going to drink. I think I would lose the weight faster if i cut it out completely but Im still losing. I also think wine is what made me fat in the first place
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    ive noticed that fat or skinny women wine alot!

This is why I drink VODKA!
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The French drink wine every night and they are not a fat culture, rude yes, fat no.

Wow THAT is rude ... I am french and I don't drink every night + I am fat :bigsmile: but working on it

So I respectfully disagree

A French girl
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is just ME.

In '07 I lost 5o lbs in 3 months (at a challenge at the gym) by eating lots of protein, vegis, sweet potatoes and brown rice. The first 6 weeks - I didn't drink any alcohol at all. The last 6 I drank on Friday or Saturday night ONE OR TWO glasses of wine. I bought the 4 pks of little bottles so I had an exact serving and didn't feel like I was "wasting a bottle" when I didn't drink the whole thing.

After the challenge, I started adding booze back in - beer and vodka mostly, wine sometimes too - 3 to 4 to 5 nights a week.

Slowly, over the next couple years put back on 35lbs. Still working out, not as hard - still eating good but not "as clean" - but back to drinking more than the one or two nights a week.

Landed here Jan '11 and cut out alcohol Mon-Thurs. only drinking Fri, Sat and sometimes Sun. I made sure the days I drank I burned over 1,000 calories in the morning.

Lost 35 lbs by December last year.

Over the holidays, drank most nights.

Jan - last week. Drank most nights. Did I have calories left for it? Yep. Typically would burn 5-8oo cals in the gym - eat 15oo cals and was/am allowed 17oo + exercise cals.......so I always have booze calories.

Guess what? I have gained 15+ lbs since Dec.

I realized last week that this is my problem. I had my first "sober" Friday night last night in a LONG time. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a raging alcoholic, I drank most nights sometimes more sometimes less but usually a couple drinks a night.

I just know that it is hindering my progress. Am I going to stop drinking completely? Hell NO!!!! As soon as I get my head/body right - I'll be back to having a COUPLE on the WEEKENDS. Maybe for a special occasion during the week. I can't and won't go back to drinking every night - even if it is just a few and it fits in my calories for the day.........obviously that doesn't work for ME.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am not a big drinker... but I love wine occasionally as well. I just reserve calories, etc. for it and build it in when I want it. But, again it's occasionally... so I wouldn't know how it will affect your overall health/diet in the long run.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ive noticed that fat or skinny women wine alot!

He he!

oregonian_winesmiley.gif
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even suggest that you quit the wine... a glass of wine a day is good for a body.

Might I add that needs to be RED wine :)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it largely depends on your daily calorie goal.

Someone who has a daily calorie goal of say 1800 per day can afford to have 300 calories of wine in the mix and not forgo adequate nutrition. Someone who has a daily goal of 1200 can't afford to have 300 alcohol calories a day because you can't get adequate nutrition from the remaining 900.

Do what you like, but for most of us, trying to keep 80% or more of our calories focused on nutrition and 20% or less on "treats/empty calories" works a lot better in the long run.

This. I have a have a 2000 per day calorie goal. I use 500 on a bottle of wine per day. I'm still losing weight and get adequate nutrition. Should I cut back? Sure. Do I want to? No way.
  • evandehey
    evandehey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have no valuable input seeing as it is so early in the morning, but I have to say, with it being so early and all... when I saw "ok I am a fat chick who loves wine", my immediate thought was, "I don't remember writing a forum post!" ...........

Ah, hahaha, great minds think alike!

In response to the original post, I generally cut my wine with soda water when having an after-work drink, etc., and drink "full fat" wine with dinner on the weekends (accompanied by lots of water.) However, I've found that drinks twice a week are my max, so I think it's important to pick and choose. You can't have it all, but you can have a little bit of everything. :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    First, the French are not rude. When I visited France, I found them to be very friendly and fun.

They brought us Americans kissing and toast. All good stuff.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I love my wine and have zero intention of giving up. In fact, I seem to plateau when I stop drinking and return to losing after a booze-and-takeaway evening!

I try to only drink out of my exercise calories to ensure I get all the nutrition I need first. I also got myself a set of small continental-style wine beakers that hold exactly a small pub measure of 125ml to eke out each bottle to six glasses. If I get two bottles a week I could have a couple of glasses every night, or on those Fridays when a couple just isn't enough, I have a self-imposed break as the bottle's all gone!