September Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I am so glad I found this thread! I hope you don't mind me joining a little late. I LOVE biking!! I consider myself a slightly advanced beginner.

Let me share a quick bit about where I began so you can see it is possible for anyone who wants to go far with biking! I am still at the beginning of this journey, as soon as I hit a goal I keep setting another further out.

I took up biking because my knees (pain and swelling, shredding cartilage due to sliding knee caps) stopped me from doing the intense gym workouts I use to like to do on my legs. I was heartbroken because it felt like everytime I would really get into the groove with a awesome workout (i,e, gym, P90x, Insanity, Treadmill etc) my knees would blow out on me and I would be in horrible pain for a couple months with intense swelling. Since bike riding my thighs has gotten so much stronger and have also helped strengthen the muscles around my knee. I am almost completely pain free!!!

I started biking 4 months ago after buying a $200 bike from Walmart, I had it for 3 weeks when my husband convinced me how I could go so much further and it be so much easier if I would invest in a good road bike with good components. I had been doing between 5 and 6 miles a day on that first bike. So, I looked around and found a good deal on a great 17 lb road bike (my walmart bike weighed 43 lbs). I immediately was able to go to 10 and 12 miles a day no sweat, then up to 15 and 20 miles a day.

3 months later I am now doing 10-18 miles every other day with 30-40 mile rides on the weekend. I have a total of 736 miles in the past 3 months so far according to mapmyride. I don't say this to brag. I am still floored that I have done it. I would have never guessed what I was capable of this a few months ago!!! My next goal is to bike 75 miles on one of my Sunday rides. I am trying to get conditioned to ride in the MS 150 next year and a couple other touring rides here in the DFW area. Honestly group rides make me very nervous. It's all new to me.

So, if I can do it, I know others can too! It just takes a little bit of hope and a whole lot of determination. ;-)

Feel free to send me a friend request (mention you are from this thread) I would love more cycling friends on here, none of my friends are into biking so it would be nice to have some other cycling accountibily partners.

Here is my stats for Sept so far...
    (I do upper body weight training and kickboxing every other day, with Sat being my rest day. Sun is my long ride day)

9/2- 39.27 miles
    9/4- 16.49 miles
    9/6- 17.65 miles

Look forward to getting to know you all! :happy:

Thanks for sharing. I also turned to cycling because of frequent injury. I kept trying to make myself a runner (even though I don't like running) but everytime I would get a few weeks in I would get hurt somehow. Cycling rules!
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sept 8th: 3.87 miles

exercise.png
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Goal 600miles 305.5 completed

September 1 - 57.5 miles 16.7mph avg 1569 calories - 3 hours 30 minutes
    September 2 - 43 miles 15mph avg. Recovery ride 1089 calories - 2hours 50 minutes
    September 3 - 42 miles. 18 avg. annual BBQ ride. 25miles there, eat, 17 miles home.... Keep a fast pace to burn off the pastries and sweets the local church ladies make...

September 4 - 30 miles - 16 avg. 900 calories Commute to work 1hour 50 minutes
    September 5 - Rest Day (five days riding in a row need a break)
    September 6 - 30 mile commute
    September 8 - 103 miles. 16.8 average solo/hilly 3090 calories

Total For Month : 305.5 miles

Calories (not that it matters I do not eat them) are based on the rough formula of 30 calories per mile ridden. It may be more or less on any particulary day so I let it just average out in the end
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    135 miles today speed was a bit down as it took me 13 hours
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Oh. My. Word. You rock!! Where are you from (what state/country you biking in)? I would love to someday see myself hit a 100 mile ride in a day!
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 800 mlles...

9/2...45 mile MTB
    9/3...40.5 mile fixed gear road
    9/5...26 mile MTB
    9/6...50.5 mile road @ 20.6 mph
    9/7...13 miles spin
    9/8...41 miles road @ 19.8 mph

Total: 216 miles
  • clown_101
    Options
    Am I too late to join in? Started cycling 3 weeks ago so I've no idea what to set my goal at. Gone for a nice round 300. Don't laugh too much when I fail!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Oh. My. Word. You rock!! Where are you from (what state/country you biking in)? I would love to someday see myself hit a 100 mile ride in a day!

The midlands England.

100 miles is possible for most people, just find the level that you are at now and increase the distance 10% per 2 week period, making sure that you get your rest day in.
  • angelam82
    angelam82 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im going to stick my hand up. Hubby bought us bikes for xmas 2009 and up until 10 days ago, I had only ridden it 2 or 3 times :( We were looking for exercise to do together and hubby suggested getting an exercise bike for home. I decided to buy us an indoor trainer for $76. Its only basic, but does the job.

Since it arrived I have been on the bike pretty much everyday. Hubby has started riding the 8km each way to his studio. We have also done a few rides together. Not only is the cycling working on my fitness, it is improving my confidence, particularly on the roads. So now the cycling is my exercise. Every evening I do 30 mins on the train which is around 460 calories. I would like to do around 40 mins, but the trainer gets quite loud and we live in an apartment! Daylight savings starts here in a few weeks, so we will be able to get out more of an evening.

I will try to check in every few days with my progress :)
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 800 mlles...

9/2...45 mile MTB
    9/3...40.5 mile fixed gear road
    9/5...26 mile MTB
    9/6...50.5 mile road @ 20.6 mph
    9/7...13 miles spin
    9/8...41 miles road @ 19.8 mph
    9/9...38.4 miles road @ 20.0 mph

Total: 254 miles
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    42 miles so far for the month of September! I'm also in a running challenge to get in 50 miles of running, so I have to split my energy! Plus I'm swimming 30-40 minutes 5-6X a week, getting ready for my first triathlon.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sept 9th:18.28 miles

exercise.png
  • codercpc
    Options
    9/1/12- 25.7 miles
    9/2/12- 3.7 miles on mountain bike
    9/3/12- 5.57 miles
    9/4/12 8.96 miles
    9/5/12 8.96 miles
    9/7/12 21.6 stationary bike
    9/9/12 5.57 miles

Total so far 80.26 - 119.74 to go...
  • ferb03
    Options
    9/1 31.08
    9/3 16.78
    9/6 17.09
    9/7 12.69
    9/9 50.0
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    9/5/12 14.10 miles
    9/6/12 19.24 miles - discovered the Katy trail is way smoother than the MKT trail.
    9/9/12 14.14 miles
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Goal 600miles 343.5 completed <--- I think I may up my goal to 800+ again this month

September 1 - 57.5 miles 16.7mph avg 1569 calories - 3 hours 30 minutes
    September 2 - 43 miles 15mph avg. Recovery ride 1089 calories - 2hours 50 minutes
    September 3 - 42 miles. 18 avg. annual BBQ ride. 25miles there, eat, 17 miles home.... Keep a fast pace to burn off the pastries and sweets the local church ladies make...

September 4 - 30 miles - 16 avg. 900 calories Commute to work 1hour 50 minutes
    September 5 - Rest Day (five days riding in a row need a break)
    September 6 - 30 mile commute
    September 8 - 103 miles. 16.8 average solo/hilly 3090 calories
    September 9 - 38 miles. 16 avg. windy as hell.

Total For Month : 343.5 miles

Calories (not that it matters I do not eat them) are based on the rough formula of 30 calories per mile ridden. It may be more or less on any particulary day so I let it just average out in the end
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    9/2- 39.27 miles 
    9/4- 16.49 miles 
    9/6- 17.65 miles 
    9/9- 62.53 miles. New accomplishment!! It was awesome.

Oh and my Sept goal is 350 miles.
  • kateblue72
    Options
    Hello all, hope it's not too late to join ..... love the many comments about cycling and how noncompetitive this site is..... you are all very encouraging about going your own speed. Love the story about passing the rock ..... I too have my own story. I am an ex-runner, that had knee(s) blow out, and had surgery on one last year. This spring the Physio suggested biking ..... so here I am. However, after having so many options with running, 5km, 10km, 1/2 marathon (didn't get to full) etc ... wasn't sure what sorts of goals I could do in cycling. So, I just started to ride my old Norco mountain bike wherever it would take me. There is a small hill in our town, that the first time I climbed, I had to walk half way up. When I reached the top, I felt like I was going to 'die'. Well, 5 months later, and now on my new TREK hybrid, I 'zoomed' up the hill last week, and couldn't help but smile when I reached the top, and saw others sitting on the bench I nearly 'expired' on - LOL! That hill practice, and all the other time I have put in the saddle allowed me to 'compete' in my first challenge - a Charity ride of 76.4km ..... most of which was uphill, with an elevation change of over 500 metres. I wasn't aiming to win, only to finish, or die trying! And I did. Appears that my grown 'children' now see me as a role model ... fancy that!
    So, to continue towards future health, I plan to keep riding until snow flies .... also I don't like that days are getting shorter, but will do what I can. So goal is for 300km, as I took some time off before the ride, and if I am still feeling like I do today - tired and thirsty, I will take a few more days to recover.....

Sept 1 - 25km
    2 - 12km
    3 - 50km
    5 - 12km
    8- 76.4 km
    Total so far = 175.4

PS - how do you get that biking ticker loaded here??
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mountain Bike (or Spin Class) - all distances via mapmyride

Sept. 1st: 2.5 miles
    Sept. 5th: 14 miles (*Spin Class*)
    Sept. 7th: 14 miles (*Spin Class*)
    Sept. 9th: 25 miles - Got "outside" for a ride this weekend :-)
    Sept. 10th: 14 miles (*Spin Class*)

*Total (so far): 69.5 miles
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hello all, hope it's not too late to join ..... love the many comments about cycling and how noncompetitive this site is..... you are all very encouraging about going your own speed. Love the story about passing the rock ..... I too have my own story. I am an ex-runner, that had knee(s) blow out, and had surgery on one last year. This spring the Physio suggested biking ..... so here I am. However, after having so many options with running, 5km, 10km, 1/2 marathon (didn't get to full) etc ... wasn't sure what sorts of goals I could do in cycling. So, I just started to ride my old Norco mountain bike wherever it would take me. There is a small hill in our town, that the first time I climbed, I had to walk half way up. When I reached the top, I felt like I was going to 'die'. Well, 5 months later, and now on my new TREK hybrid, I 'zoomed' up the hill last week, and couldn't help but smile when I reached the top, and saw others sitting on the bench I nearly 'expired' on - LOL! That hill practice, and all the other time I have put in the saddle allowed me to 'compete' in my first challenge - a Charity ride of 76.4km ..... most of which was uphill, with an elevation change of over 500 metres. I wasn't aiming to win, only to finish, or die trying! And I did. Appears that my grown 'children' now see me as a role model ... fancy that!
    So, to continue towards future health, I plan to keep riding until snow flies .... also I don't like that days are getting shorter, but will do what I can. So goal is for 300km, as I took some time off before the ride, and if I am still feeling like I do today - tired and thirsty, I will take a few more days to recover.....

Sept 1 - 25km
    2 - 12km
    3 - 50km
    5 - 12km
    8- 76.4 km
    Total so far = 175.4

PS - how do you get that biking ticker loaded here??

That is awesome!!!

I make my ticker at ticker factory and then copy and paste the code evertime.