Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @kelley--I guess your post answers my original question about what you call it, since you refer to it as "seltzer" throughout your response. You're in Texas, right? I remember getting funny looks for calling it that while on vacation in either New Orleans or Memphis, but I can't remember which. It's kind of funny b/c I always thought of it as "seltzer" but have found "soda" to be more common here in Chicago. I think perhaps my parents, who are Detroit natives, passed on the term "seltzer" to me. Oh, and soda is better with vodka too! :drinker:

Yep, I'm in Texas - I'm originally from NY though and called it seltzer there too. Growing up, we always had it the house - my parents used it a lot in their "beverages." :wink: I think everything is better with vodka! :laugh:

Sunday Share~I'm hoping this will be an easier week, I've got to quit being the night owl I think I am. Maybe if I do, I won't be too exhausted by Friday. I work early hours, so am up super early - need to force myself to go to bed at a decent hour. My workout tomorrow will be different, having a cardio test done to see if my anaerobic threshold has changed and to get me started on a running program (trainer wants me to run at AT once/week). So, here is my schedule:

Sunday: Personal Training
    Monday: Cardio Test
    Tuesday: Personal Training
    Wednesday: Treadmill (new running program)
    Thursday: Personal Training
    Friday: Cross Trainer or Yoga
    Saturday: Swim or Elliptical
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good morning, hope everyone is enjoying the day. I had a lovely walk with Belle this morning as the air was crisp and clear, a day when everything seems to sparkle! This afternoon I get to go with son's family to an event sponsored by the Down Syndrome Guild here in Kansas City at a place called The Barn. It will be lots of walking with inflatables for the kids, games and activities in a country setting. I love being with my granddaughter, Madi, who has "designer genes" and her brother. Will get in more walking today. Scale still hasn't budged but will any day now, I can wait. I guess that's my Sunday Share.

Andrea, my prayers are with you, your husband and his brother. Sometimes life just is nasty! Tie a knot in the rope and try to hang on!

Robin, so glad you are home and are doing as the doctors tell you. Take care of yourself. Have missed you.

To all those with successes I toast you (not with tonic, soda or the other s term can't spell but with plain old water!):drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    nice to see you Robin! feel better
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Andrea - Stay strong and remember to take care of yourself first, so you can be there for others. As far as your new director - I have so many bad words I want to say! But what can you do except sell her on your position, right? Ugh. Good luck. You have many challenges right now, and I know you can push through them and will do just fine. :flowerforyou: hugs :flowerforyou:

@CathEsh - Isn't it amazing how our tastes and temptations change? I am so happy for you and will be cheering you on as you dump those two pieces of pizza in the trash! :drinker:

@nicholsvj - I am so glad you are feeling better :)

@Liz - Great NSV at Golden Corral!!! Buffets are so HARD. You rocked it the right (and healthy) way! Keep it up! :drinker:

@Skinny - UH OH - I order gin & tonic because it sounds like less calories LOL.... WOOPS!

@Susan - You are doing so terrific in only 5 weeks!!! WOW. Keep up the good work! :drinker:

@Robin - So glad everything went well! We miss your smiling face - take care of you :flowerforyou:

@Christine - I am soooooooo very inspired by you! You are doing so awesome and seem so consistent. I love that you don't let your health issues keep you down. I just thought you should know, every post I read of yours inspires me to try harder. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

@DoomCakes - I hope your foot is feeling better :flowerforyou:

Another tonic water note- I had a twitchy eye muscle with stress, that would NOT go away, and the eye doc told me to drink the tonic water with quinine for it. Seemed to do the trick.... and ladies, EVERYTHING is better with vodka :bigsmile:

Sunday share - I am off to my mom's today, to celebrate her birthday. I am editing this to remove me whining about my sister. I am just frustrated, but I shouldn't be grumping on about it! Sorry y'all :) I will work to manage some portion control with the cake and quiche, and not to kick anyone under the table. I need to change my perspective and be accountable for my own feelings.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday :bigsmile:
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success: I hit my Saturday work out goal. Working out on the weekends is a challenge for me, because I'm lazy. (that's not really true)

@skinny- thanks for the tips on replying, opening a new window to be able to go back and remember who you want to responsed to, is very smart. also great job on the roll over, and keeping up with your fittness and grading goals:flowerforyou:

@naceto- great job meeting your walking goals last week, and pushing your self yesterday with over 3 miles!!!

@Susan- you said "I'm still not good at individual responses, but really enjoy reading everyones weight successes & struggles plus our personal stuff too. It's our life and we're always going to have those hills and valleys. Just a few comments though: "
    I could not have said it better myself so I copied and pasted it. You have a great attitude towards your health journey, it is a great reminder for me, so thank you for that.

@Robin-thanks for checking in, glad you're home and on the mend.

Sunday Share: I think I will steal from Skinnyjeans again and share my workout plan for the week
    Monday: AM walk/ PM bike
    Tuesday: AM walk/jog
    Wednesday: AM walk/ PM bike
    Thurdays: AM walk/jog
    Friday: AM walk/ PM bike
    Saturday: Long bike ride (goal of 14 miles)
    Sunday: rest

FYI - my morning walks, consist of walking my dog, getting in a morning prayer, and just starting the day on the right foot.
    tues/thurs - I do my morning walk and throw in some jogging to get the heart pumping.
    Thanks,
    Margaret
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Happy Sunday to everyone!
    @Naceto---Family no matter how well meaning they are can be stressful. I hope your day goes well and you are able to enjoy your mom's birthday.
    @Andrea--so sorry to hear about your husband. Praying for you all.
    @nicholsv---its cool to hear you are feeling better
    @Robin--Welcome back!
    @Christine Sounds like a very fun way to spend a Sunday time with your family and able to get some walking in.

Sunday Share today is almost like a Holiday in our Family Football is on!!! We have the TV my husband has his fantasy picks in we are ready to go. Making sure there are healthy snacks available but I am sure I will have 1 beer before the day is over.

Wishing everyone a good day will check in later.

Liz
  • andreabeatty
    Options
    @Karen, RObin, Toots, Monarchris, Susan, Naceto - thanks so much for the thoughts and words. It's a really stressful time but one thing I know from these pages is that we have all have waves of luck both up and down. And since I believe that life harmonizes, I can be strong and get through this and have something good coming out the end.

Karen and naceto and those who asked about the director, I do have a very unique position that to the best of my knowledge exists only in my district. I do have tenure, I am in the teachers union and follow the same salary schedule and enjoy all the same benefits as a tenured teacher with a Masters (I have a BS and MS in Chemistry and a MS in Forensic chemistry, and formerly was a forensic drug chemist and did research for the NSF). I am currently waiting on state review for a Transitional C certificate which would allow me to be the sole person in the classroom, but there has never been a push for that because the way we designed this program it's always co-taught. Every research class is a teacher of record and myself, I do have a schedule of four periods a day, and for my duty, prep, and professional periods I provide department support and do all the stuff for research - I mix chemicals, submit paperwork for science fairs and summer programs, coordinate mentors for the upperclassmen working in labs, act as the school representative for Long Island Science Congress, New York State Science and Engineering Fair, Long Island Science and Engineering Fair, Research Association and IRB review for INTEL. And do inventory, budget, and textbooks for the department. They get a lot of bang for the buck out of me. The position was created when my district decided in 2007 to create a comprehensive in-school science research program that would put them with the top research schools on the Island, and in the 5 years that followed we have proven to be one of the best. At the INTEL International science fair in May - which can only be entered through winning regional competitions and has thousands of student representatives from 83 countries - our four students who qualified to compete won more awards than any school in the country. We are in US News top 50 schools in the US, and our program was cited as a reason. The 'top' science schools on the island are coming to us asking how to create a program like the one we have. We are doing SOMETHING right. And this crazy woman thinks my job is not important and wants to see about eliminating it. AACK.

Did I rant enough? I think I did. I must have just expended SOME calories typing all that while in a self righteous huff.

On a good note, I didn't think about my husband's health AT ALL. He's more concerned about how much of his tattoo he's going to lose to care about his health. Its all on me!:explode:
  • Andibenni
    Andibenni Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sunday share - have to say I feel quite lucky when I see the challenges other's are facing on here with work, health and personal life. Makes me realise I shouldn't take things for granted. Best wishes and prayers to everyone who is battling on. For me today is my wedding anniversary and I'm so happy that while we went out for lunch today I managed to visit the local book store and got my hands on a copy of the "Hairy Dieter's" cook book which has been sold out everywhere I've tried. For those in the States the Hairy Bikers are a couple of normal blokes who like to cook and ride motor bikes, but have a series on BBC TV. They've both recently lost around 40lbs in 3 months through calorie counting and their latest book shows how to cook good, hearty tasty food with less calories. Looking at this I've already got my week's menu sorted out so looking forward to healthy tasty low fat food and seeing those pounds melt away.
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @raven--I've tried tonic and just don't like the taste--it's such a strange mix of bitter and sweet. My mother, however, loves it--she drinks it straight with fresh lime (and occasionally some vodka tongue ).

@Skinny To me it's kind of a weird taste too honestly (but I'm weird so it's all good lol). That's how my dad drinks it too. I have tried that- it's... to me the lime is too subtle. It didn't hide the bitterness and I kind of made a face like my dog does when he gets something he doesn't like lol. The one I tried this time is by "Waist Watchers". Don't really get the bitterness in this one BUT it's made with splenda which I'm not overly fond of. I'd love to try seltzer water but I couldn't find any at the store last night that weren't pre-flavored.

Sunday Share: I'm completely overjoyed at the moment to be honest. The weather is finally getting a bit cooler here and it feels amazing! Last night it was 68 outside and, given the opportunity, I could've hung out outside all night! Can't wait til it feels more like that during the day too.

I'm hoping to take the dogs to the park today too. I know they enjoy it and I love it as well. They've been great the last few times I've taken them, though I suspect my lab is jealous because I've been walking the shepherd. He must be mad at me. ...he'll get over it lol.
  • Gloworm46
    Gloworm46 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning (or afternoon depending where you are!) -

@andreabeatty - my daughter had a melanoma mole a couple of years ago and I was scared to death but the mole was removed and she is cancer free - I pray that the same will happen with your husband and that you find some peace at this time

@nanceto - have fun with those kettlebells - a word of caution: do not put lotion on right before doing a kettlebell routine unless you want to drop it on your toes (lesson learned -- lol)

@robin - don't know you yet but so glad to see you are home from the hospital and on the mend - praying for a speedy and healthy recovery for you

@cathesh - you are doing awesome - I want one of those bikes you have but with 3 wheels

@lizmil - great job at the butfet - isn't it awesome how easy it is to pick the healthy foods when you know what the rest of it will do to your health? BTW good job on the healthy snacks tor the FB game - I don't like beer so none for me thanks!

@susan2396 - great attitude and goals!

@kah - ugh about the coffee maker but kudos to Target! I heard quinine is good for those pesky night time leg muscle cramps -
    and great goals for the week

@monarchris - have fun with those grandbabies - they keep you up and moving I'm sure

@Gaaretie - I think I'm going to start walking in the morning also to clear my head for the day - thanks for sharing

BTW - thanks to all of you angels who are teachers and preparing our children for the future. As we are all at home with them in school (enjoying some peace and quiet) you are there with an overloaded classroom trying to keep control! I commend you and sincerely don't know how you do it!

Sunday share - I am raising 2 of my grandsons(4 & 7) so they keep me on my toes and are one the reasons I'm on this journey - I want to be able to get up and down off of the floor again without it being a major accomplishment ---lol. I am including them in my journey so they can learn about being healthy in the beginning. We walk (or I walk and they bike) everyday - it's a good time for us to have Q&A time.

My goals for September:

Walking for at least 30 minutes everyday
    Monday - Kettlebells
    Tuesday - Kettlebells
    Wed - rest
    Thursday - Kettlebells
    Friday - Kettlebells
    Saturday - my choice or Weekend Challege from LFR (www.livefitrevolution.org)
    Sunday - my choice or Weekend Challenge from LFR

Wishing you all peace and love this week!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @Karen, RObin, Toots, Monarchris, Susan, Naceto - thanks so much for the thoughts and words. It's a really stressful time but one thing I know from these pages is that we have all have waves of luck both up and down. And since I believe that life harmonizes, I can be strong and get through this and have something good coming out the end.

On a good note, I didn't think about my husband's health AT ALL. He's more concerned about how much of his tattoo he's going to lose to care about his health. Its all on me!:explode:

oh, men. i have to force my husband to do anything relating to his health. and then when he gets a serious result of any kind he acts vaguely like the whole thing is ridiculous. hugs. i bet you will have something good coming out the other end.
    Sunday share - I am raising 2 of my grandsons(4 & 7) so they keep me on my toes and are one the reasons I'm on this journey - I want to be able to get up and down off of the floor again without it being a major accomplishment ---lol. I am including them in my journey so they can learn about being healthy in the beginning. We walk (or I walk and they bike) everyday - it's a good time for us to have Q&A time.

when my husband and i were doing our foster parent training we had a tremendous class of family members who were going to foster. and the majority of them were grandparents. and seeing the changes they were going through and the tough times they had making that huge adjustment was a real eye opener. you're a saint.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So I got to leave work early today - 415! So excited. I was going to come home, go on a walk or bike ride, make dinner and relax. Yup, got home, went to the bathroom and promptly crashed. I have no memory of 5-6pm this evening! Which means I had a great nap!

Only 4 work days this week! Tomorrow is day 8/8 and Tuesday is my day off! So excited for Tuesday! And Saturday!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Its great to be welcomed back so warmly.

We are having an unusually cool day. Stepped out on the patio - just lovely. (Big sigh)

Let in a house fly....my reaction times are so slow, I have hit everything in the house but the fly, have taken to shots of hairspray to try and slow it down! :laugh: so far just have sticky furniture:noway:

(Shakes fist at sky.....) it ...will....be...mine....:explode:
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    andrea- when i first read your post about that crazy woman the thought that came to mind was that she was on a big power trip. Sounds like you have an awesome program at your school and they are lucky to have you

robin- you crack me up.....imagining sticky furniture and many inamimate objects getting wacked :laugh: Glad you are on the mend....take it slow and easy
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi all hope everyone is having a great weekend. I tis great to hear that you are home and doing well Robin. I am sure the flies time is limited :smile: I am kinda in a lull today. Not feeling bad or anything just impatient waiting for my husband to get home. He flew from Alaska to colorado last night and today. He is picking up a truck he bought from a coworker and is driving it home to washington state. He should be getting on the road anytime now. Then another 24 or so hours till he gets here. I am not a patient person and waiting is KILLING me, lol. I am so proud of everyone on here. You are all doing so well and persevering through so much more then just this lifestyle change we are all struggling with. Everyone on here should be very very proud of themselves.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    This past week has been really tough on me emotionally. Thank you to everyone who provided messages of support and comfort regarding my cat, it was very comforting. Needless to say, I did not exercise all of last week until Friday when I went rock climbing. It was a great way to de-stress from the week, but I was very stiff on Saturday. This lead to a workout with my trainer on improving my mobility since I was totally stiff in the knees and legs. The workout lasted longer than an hour which was good but I should have done more. Then saturday night since it was raining I spent the evening grading the never ending stacks of papers. At least I have finished 240 warm up activities and 90 molecular motion labs. Regretfully, I still have 30 7th grade labs and 120 summary of new articles to read and provide feed back on. I did manage to swim today so that was good exercise.

From this past week, I realized how easy it is to fall back to my old ways of eating whatever I want and not worrying about the consequences. I was conscious of what I was eating but I didn't care if I went over calories, ate the wrong things etc. Now, this week I need to get back on track and start to refocus but my schedule is going to complicate matters. I have something planned for every night this week.
    Monday- Start Tap Dancing (September goal for Pigs can Fly)
    Tuesday- either workout with trainer or on my own (his schedule) then out with a friend I hope (her schedule)
    Wednesday- meeting (if smart I will workout before the meeting at Kinder Park) or I might try to find someone to play frisbee golf with me.
    Thursday- Back to School night
    Friday- Rock climbing
    Saturday Free day as of now.

:smile: I did get some good news, I will be attending the Middle school conference in Portland OR in November. I am very excited to be heading there and I hope to visit with my cousin who lives there. Are there any places in Portland that are a must see or do for tourists. :bigsmile:

Hopefully, my schedule will calm down soon.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week.
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - sorry to have been MIA again.
    @skinnyjeanz - glad you're keeping the group together so well :)
    @Robin - glad things went well, get better soon
    @Andrea - all I can say is wow. Your plate is pretty full - wishing you the best.

Sending everyone big hugs...
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    New to this thread so I'll see if I can just jump in..

Saturday - Success
    I had my 1st AND 2nd NSV last week.. one coworker very insistently asking what I was doing to lose weight and then trying to get the app so she could get into it too, and another coworker completely not hearing what I said because she was staring at me.. she said she couldn't believe the changes in my body already! :)

Sunday - Sharing
    I am mother of a 14, soon to be 15 year old son with some severe mental/behavioral conditions. My husband has some terrible health problems too, and is home all day. We are in the process of getting him on federal disability but.. slow process. I work 55-60 hours a week every week and barely have the strength or energy to do anything at home.. cleaning, cooking, exercising, anything :(. It's nothing short of a miracle that I've managed to get in my 20 minutes a day for the last 9 days thus far to do my workouts.

September Goals:

1. BACK TO THE FUTURE: My primary goal right now is to get through Jillian's 30 Day Shred program with no breaks, no days off and MAKE it! I did Level 1, Day 9 today. Tomorrow is the last day of Level 1, and then it's onto L2, etc. By the end of Sept, I want my weight to get down to 225 (from 234 as of 2Sept) and lose some inches.

2. PIGS FLY, WHY CAN"T I?: I will try new veggies that in the past I turned my nose up at.. onions maybe? I tried red peppers last month and could tolerate them. Maybe I can do the same with a new veggie this month.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: The crockpot today had pork loin, saurkraut, and apples cooking all day. It was one of the best dinners I've had in a long time and low in calories too. I spent the whole afternoon in the pool with my son and love spending time with him. Here's to an awesome week at work, make great food choices, exercise every day and be the best mom I can be. LIfe is good!!
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Robin - glad to see you're doing well.

Sunday Share: I am exhausted (which leads to lack of motivation). I have spent the last 3 weekends in another city packing up my apartment (just one more weekend left) and then coming back and preparing for the school which opened this last week. I may have gotten 6 total hours of sleep this weekend. I'll be glad when the move is over. It's hard to think seriously about anything and I definitely do not want to worry about food choices and exercise in this exhausted state of mind. However, when I get up tomorrow a.m., I will make myself (at least that's my commitment tonight!) :ohwell: