Replies

• GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    B-ack from trip.
    U-h oh!
    M-ust repent.
    P-ost restaurant food syndrome.

YIKES! I am seriously afraid to get on the scale, but will do so in the morning. Please, please, please let me weigh what I did before I left. Didn't help that I visited a friend's candy factory and had to eat every candy offered by friend or risk hurting feelings. It WAS great--raspberry truffles, caramelos, salted buttercreams--oh heck, how often do I get to act like a kid in a candy factory?

So glad your surgery went well Robin. Should you be smacking flies in your "condition?" I'd suggest you try Pam instead of hairspray, but then your floors would be slippery and your furniture oil stained. Hmmm, how about a venus flytrap or a hungry cat? :laugh:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    hahaha grammy i love your poem. you know, i love your pic there. my pic is from my daughter's baptism in april. that's her sitting next to me. cute boy. love his hair. what isn't fair, i say, is that your friend should own a candy store at all. doesn't she know she should do you a favor and open a vegetable stand instead.
  • lmackbethl
    Options
    This past week has been really tough on me emotionally. Thank you to everyone who provided messages of support and comfort regarding my cat, it was very comforting. Needless to say, I did not exercise all of last week until Friday when I went rock climbing. It was a great way to de-stress from the week, but I was very stiff on Saturday. This lead to a workout with my trainer on improving my mobility since I was totally stiff in the knees and legs. The workout lasted longer than an hour which was good but I should have done more. Then saturday night since it was raining I spent the evening grading the never ending stacks of papers. At least I have finished 240 warm up activities and 90 molecular motion labs. Regretfully, I still have 30 7th grade labs and 120 summary of new articles to read and provide feed back on. I did manage to swim today so that was good exercise.

From this past week, I realized how easy it is to fall back to my old ways of eating whatever I want and not worrying about the consequences. I was conscious of what I was eating but I didn't care if I went over calories, ate the wrong things etc. Now, this week I need to get back on track and start to refocus but my schedule is going to complicate matters. I have something planned for every night this week.
    Monday- Start Tap Dancing (September goal for Pigs can Fly)
    Tuesday- either workout with trainer or on my own (his schedule) then out with a friend I hope (her schedule)
    Wednesday- meeting (if smart I will workout before the meeting at Kinder Park) or I might try to find someone to play frisbee golf with me.
    Thursday- Back to School night
    Friday- Rock climbing
    Saturday Free day as of now.

:smile: I did get some good news, I will be attending the Middle school conference in Portland OR in November. I am very excited to be heading there and I hope to visit with my cousin who lives there. Are there any places in Portland that are a must see or do for tourists. :bigsmile:

Hopefully, my schedule will calm down soon.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week.

I'm heading to Portland in two days!!!! So excited! Going to hike a section of the PCT with my dad! I guess since this is MFP, I won't recommend Pastini Pastaria or Vodoo Donuts :wink: It's a beautiful city, lots of places to walk around and shop, and so many great hiking spots not far out of town. Multnomah Falls is an easy half-day trip, if you have the time.
  • lmackbethl
    Options
    @robin - hope you're able to sit again soon (and walk as much as you want)

@susan - i can almost smell your crockpot -- yummy!

@monarchris - I hope your outing went well!!

@jana - congratulations on your 5-K!!!

Sunday Share -- I work overnights at a transitional living home for young adults with severe and persistent mental illness, while pursuing a graduate degree (MA/PhD) in Sociology. I have a few incompletes that I really need to finish up (not taking classes this semester), so I can get back on track towards the career I really want, which comes with an academic schedule. Tonight, I'm feeling very tired -- and the house is out of coffee, which I think should be illegal.

Monday Check-In -- I went on an extra-long swim yesterday (which is also earlier today, sigh), out across a huge lake, around an island and back. My friend who paddled alongside in my kayak thought it was probably a mile-and-a-half, but I'm guessing it was closer to a mile. Either way, it felt so good! But it was a little bitter-sweet, because it was probably my last swim this year. :sad:
  • andreabeatty
    Options
    Back to work today. I take comfort in the fact that the new boss told me that she knows absolutely no chemistry. Probably means she cant detect poison. Something to cheer me on a Monday.

I feel like I started today right, I always check the computer int he morning. Check email, write a facebook status, and check in here. Today I decided if I could do that I could do it while I ate something - I am VERY bad at eating breakfast. So I just had some special K with skim milk. Nothing fancy but since the hubby + all 3 dogs are sleeping it's a challenge to even pour cereal quietly! But since I don't usually do even that I think it's a good start to getting back my schedule of planning my food instead of grazing all day.

On a fitness note, my sister is struggling to lose her baby weight from her 4 month old, and I bought her a copy of 90 day shred. SO now that we each have a copy we are going to try to do it, either together or separately. And keep each other motivated.

BTW - I got a friend request from someone named Little Lovei - and it looks like a big ad for something called ViSalus. Anyone else encounter this person? Thanks.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @toots OMG black widows! I think I'd be a wreck.

@skinnyjeanz -- thanks for rolling over

@Christine -- I think you might have the cals wrong on OJ -- the one I drink is about 80 calories for 6 US fluid ounces. You do still have to be careful if you're drinking many glasses! You can also mix it with fizzy water for a long, refreshing drink.

@Andrea -- sorry to hear about all of your hardships at present. Do make sure you take time out for yourself, and keep strong.

@Janak -- well done for finishing your 5k! And 48 minutes is a great time for a first one.

@naceto -- in the UK we don't have seltzer, but we do have soda water and tonic -- and they are very different. Tonic is a sugar-or-sweetener containing mixer, that is very bitter because it contains quinine. You mix it with gin. Cheers! Soda water is just water with bubbles. No calories, sugar or sweetener, and I drink it by the bucketful.

@Robin -- welcome back! Rest up, now.

@Andibenni -- I've cooked the lasagne (modified so it was more like moussaka), the chicken korma, and the paella from Hairy Dieters. The paella was really delicious, though quite expensive with all that seafood. I might just tip in a frozen seafood mix next time. It saves its calories by being high-protein, lower-carb. The lasagne was good too, and again, a low-carb approach. The chicken korma I thought was rather ordinary. I did think the shows were amusing, though there was a lot that was irritating about the way in which they went about losing weight.

Monday check-in

Well, we had a lovely weekend with loads of sunshine, camping, and walking along a beautiful shared-use path in Yorkshire; dancing with the Morris side lots on Saturday, and generally having a lovely time. But I have gained two pounds. And everything was logged and I'm in balance for the week, so I am blaming Bad Food; too much yummy salty stuff and too many simple carbs. In particular wonderful breakfast baps with egg, bacon and sausage; and an extraordinary three-cheese pizza. I gave 3/8 of it away but that obviously wasn't enough. Hopefully all will be back to normal this week. Today I am going to run All the Errands.

-- Alison
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Laurie - I am really so sorry to hear about your cat. I know exactly what you meant when you said you wished he would just go in his sleep. You know you did the right thing for him even though it was so difficult.

naceto - congrats on walking 3.85 miles! I get bored so easily I'm not sure i could walk that far.

skinny - your exercise plans are always so awsome! And I call it seltzer. Never occurred to me to call it anything else.

lmackbeth - good job staying under your calorie goal all week.

mym0wm0w - a 1 lb weigh loss is good. I'm not sure I've ever lost more than 1 lb in a week.

Andrea - so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, husband and new director. Too many sucky things at once. :frown:

Jana - 5k in 48 minutes is great! I'm jealous.

nichols - glad you are feeling better.

robin - glad the surgery went well and hoping for a speedy recovery.

susan - I am not good at posting individual responses for the most part either. I do read daily too, though.

christine - thanks for always being so positive. You're like a ray of sunshine! :flowerforyou:

nareena - welcome to the group. I'm pretty new here, too and I miss posting a lot of days due to lack of time and being exhausted from work. It's just so hard to fit everything in.

So in addition to being MIA from this group this past week I have not been doing great at staying within my calorie goals. I was over at least twice (I think 3 times) and only 1 day was worth it. Yesterday we stopped at Bruegger's and I got a breakfast wrap that had more calories than I expected (but choices were limited) and then I felt like I shouldn't eat all day but still went over my limit (darn vodka). Today I am already hungry and it's only been 2.5 hours since breakfast.
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sorry for being MIA over the weekend. Just checking in. My husband had to work last night so I fell back into old habits of snacking out of boredom. I told him when he got home that if they need him to work overtime on the weekends, it has to be early and not late. Plus, I don't sleep when he's not home so I didn't fall asleep until after 1 and DC traffic was so awful today it took me 2 hours to go 20 miles.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-In~No real struggles this weekend, tried to keep it healthy.

ETA~Tonight is my new cardio assessment - been a year since my last one. This always makes me nervous, I have a crazy cardiovascular system that rebounds quickly, so once my heart rate hits ~150 it tends to go down instead of up and I have to get it and keep it above 160. I know the metabolic trainer that is giving me the test is going to make me run at a 15% incline - not sure how long I can do it. My regular trainer thinks my anaerobic threshold (AT) has changed and wants me to start running/jogging as part of my routine, thus working out more at AT. So I need to do the test and have the metabolic trainer get me set up on a program - this will also tell us if I am working out hard enough or too hard. Wish me luck!
    Sunday Share: The crockpot today had pork loin, saurkraut, and apples cooking all day. It was one of the best dinners I've had in a long time and low in calories too. I spent the whole afternoon in the pool with my son and love spending time with him. Here's to an awesome week at work, make great food choices, exercise every day and be the best mom I can be. LIfe is good!!

Sounds yummy! I used the slow cooker yesterday too - made a chicken cacciatore with tons of veggies (onions, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, & peppers), served it over spaghetti squash. Delish! :happy:
    Sunday Share -- I work overnights at a transitional living home for young adults with severe and persistent mental illness, while pursuing a graduate degree (MA/PhD) in Sociology. I have a few incompletes that I really need to finish up (not taking classes this semester), so I can get back on track towards the career I really want, which comes with an academic schedule. Tonight, I'm feeling very tired -- and the house is out of coffee, which I think should be illegal.

Ran out of coffee?! Sacrilege! I always have a back-up pound of coffee in the pantry and if that fails I have k-cups for my Keurig. :laugh:
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    BTW - I got a friend request from someone named Little Lovei - and it looks like a big ad for something called ViSalus. Anyone else encounter this person? Thanks.

I got that one a couple of weeks ago... picture of a very very very thin stomach, was the profile pic then. I no longer feel guilty hitting "ignore" with those. I think the site has rules about marketing like that? I do have a couple of shakeology pals on here, but they are completely non-pushy, and turned out to be terrific human beings.
  • naceto
    Options
    Checking in! BOTH my son and I are sick today :sick: .... I could blame it on the carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting that we had yesterday, but I am pretty sure it was some questionable greek yogurt that we had with our tacos last night. I guess when your teenage son says, "Mom, is this still good?", you should pay attention.:ohwell: So, we are both staying home until our tummies allow us to do otherwise.

I walked 11 miles last week. Each week, I am pushing myself a little farther (week before was 10). I use dailymile.com to track my distance, in addition to tracking calories here. My hip is doing much better, though it does seem to stiffen up a bit after my longer walks. Today it's a bit sore, but I had a pretty active weekend.

I will take a look later and hopefully be a little less self involved.... Super tired :yawn: I appreciate all of your support.

Kelley - Good luck on your fit test!!!!

Gloworm - I will remember to skip the lotion with the kettle balls- OUCH!

Which reminds me - Apple cider vinegar? YUCK... I know a lot of people say it helps with weight loss, but also is great for skin, hair, detoxification.... How many of you actually drink that stuff? I tried some Bragg's that my sister had on Saturday, and felt like I was drinking really bad whiskey.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Checking in! BOTH my son and I are sick today :sick: .... I could blame it on the carrot cake cupcake with cream cheese frosting that we had yesterday, but I am pretty sure it was some questionable greek yogurt that we had with our tacos last night. I guess when your teenage son says, "Mom, is this still good?", you should pay attention.:ohwell: So, we are both staying home until our tummies allow us to do otherwise.

I walked 11 miles last week. Each week, I am pushing myself a little farther (week before was 10). I use dailymile.com to track my distance, in addition to tracking calories here. My hip is doing much better, though it does seem to stiffen up a bit after my longer walks. Today it's a bit sore, but I had a pretty active weekend.

I will take a look later and hopefully be a little less self involved.... Super tired :yawn: I appreciate all of your support.

Which reminds me - Apple cider vinegar? YUCK... I know a lot of people say it helps with weight loss, but also is great for skin, hair, detoxification.... How many of you actually drink that stuff? I tried some Bragg's that my sister had on Saturday, and felt like I was drinking really bad whiskey.

Thanks, Nicole! I'm sorry both you and DS are sick today. :frown: I would say have some yogurt, the probiotics might help to return the balance, but if that is what made you sick that may be the last thing you want to eat.

I'm so proud of the way you are pushing yourself on your walks - its fantastic! One thing you should do is stretch your IT band after those long walks, you'll feel the stretch through your hip and as you gain more flexibility the stiffening should become less and less. Those stretches are hard to describe here, but google and you might find a You Tube video. I do 2-3 different IT stretches after every exercise session. I don't know how you drink that vinegar - I couldn't do it! I would be so sad to drink something that tasted like bad whiskey, as I love whiskey. :laugh:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Back to work today. I take comfort in the fact that the new boss told me that she knows absolutely no chemistry. Probably means she cant detect poison. Something to cheer me on a Monday.

first of all :laugh: that's hilarious about the chemistry. and yeah, i had one too. i ignored it.
    @toots OMG black widows! I think I'd be a wreck.

well, i wasn't thrilled lol. i was wigged out enough to stop cleaning the garage for like two days and that's really something for me to be bothered by something enough to let it effect my behavior. i won't tell you my giant house spider story :laugh: that was a different house and giant house spiders aren't poisonous. but they sure are...giant. and gross.
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I feel like I started today right, I always check the computer int he morning. Check email, write a facebook status, and check in here. Today I decided if I could do that I could do it while I ate something - I am VERY bad at eating breakfast. So I just had some special K with skim milk. Nothing fancy but since the hubby + all 3 dogs are sleeping it's a challenge to even pour cereal quietly! But since I don't usually do even that I think it's a good start to getting back my schedule of planning my food instead of grazing all day.

On a fitness note, my sister is struggling to lose her baby weight from her 4 month old, and I bought her a copy of 90 day shred. SO now that we each have a copy we are going to try to do it, either together or separately. And keep each other motivated.

I did too and quickly deleted it!
  • monarchris
    Options

I had a friend encourage me to get some apple cider vinegar (not the distilled kind) put a little honey in it and it would be really good for my arthritis. Haven't tried it yet but plan to in the near future (which means after I get my SS check). I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Well, we were away for the weekend. The good news is that I stayed under calories. The bad news is that my arm (which has been hurting for several weeks) did not have the range of motion for me swim my favorite strokes in the water. It wasn't just the pain. My arm REFUSED to go back that far. And, for some odd reason, I lost feeling in my left leg for several hours yesterday. It's back today though. But not the arm. I keep trying to extend my arm back in a crawl stroke, and I can't. I'll mention it to the doctor the next time I go in.

Check in- Well, I weighed in before the trip, and I'm only three pounds over my ticker. I was eight pounds over my ticker Monday. I know it has to be water weight, but it is a load off of my mind.
  • naceto
    Options
    Thanks, Nicole! I'm sorry both you and DS are sick today. :frown: I would say have some yogurt, the probiotics might help to return the balance, but if that is what made you sick that may be the last thing you want to eat.

I'm so proud of the way you are pushing yourself on your walks - its fantastic! One thing you should do is stretch your IT band after those long walks, you'll feel the stretch through your hip and as you gain more flexibility the stiffening should become less and less. Those stretches are hard to describe here, but google and you might find a You Tube video. I do 2-3 different IT stretches after every exercise session. I don't know how you drink that vinegar - I couldn't do it! I would be so sad to drink something that tasted like bad whiskey, as I love whiskey. :laugh:

Thanks Kelley! It feels really good. It has been so long since I felt so motivated to change my habits. It has been really great for my son as well. When they say that children learn what they live, it is SO true. Great advice on stretching the IT band... I had never hear of it before. I googled it and it makes sense too follow through with that for so many of the issues I have. With that, I also read that those that run or walk, usually choose the same side of the road, which means that they will be putting more weight on one foot/ leg than the other, due to the slope of the road. I think I will be more thoughtful of the angle of the paths I am walking, as perhaps there is a slope I hadn't thought of.
  • monarchris
    Options
    Good morning all my MFP buddies hope your Monday is going well. I love the cool mornings we are having and pray they keep up as it is so much nicer to walk. My trip to The Barn was cancelled due to son not being able to get away from his home project he had started on Saturday. I was disappointed, but kind of glad as used the day for recharging my batteries from hectic day Saturday. Today I get to watch my granddaughter and we will have fun playing with her babies, playing outside and watching Curious George. Being a Nana is so much fun!!! Belle and I had our walk this morning, will get exercise playing with Madi and maybe try to try riding a bike today. Haven't been on one in about 25 to 30 years. What's that saying, "it like riding a bike, you never forget how." Sure hope that's true and not sure how wearing my oxygen tank is going to effect my balance. I can't believe the energy I have now compared to 2 months ago. Shows what a healthy diet will do for you.

nace- you are an inspiration with all that walking. I need to push a little more again. Sorry you and your son aren't feeling well.
    gloworm- loved your helpful hint about not to put on lotion before doing the kettlebell, had to laugh although I know it had to have seen stars on that one. Love your posts.
    laurie-I am so sorry about your cat, having to have some of my dogs put to sleep I know the pain. Glad you were able to do your rock climbing. You are an inspiration to me as I have a dreadful fear of heights.
    robin-I am so glad you are back, take care.

Sorry that's all I can remember for now, will have to use pen and paper next time to get more in. Love you all and praying for blessings this week for all.

Christine
  • pattynava
    Options
    BUMP:flowerforyou: