bump
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Great links... Thank you.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    As already stated, your skin is an organ... it will adapt as and when it is able to. Most people go for "corrective" surgery when they still have a good amount of weight to go (most people currently at my weight would -- I have excess skin, but I've lost over 100lbs, and it's not nearly as bad as some may have you believe... the worst bits are still 'flabby' and that's why I'm still adjusting my goals)... what I would advise is lifting weights from the start. And lifting heavy. This'll help, but be aware that it could take years to see the amount of firmness you desire.

For me, because I'm not likely to ever go out in a bikini or anything revealing (stretch marks - yay) I couldn't really care less about adding scars to my figure... but I'd rather see how far my body can & will recover before I even consider it.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Spanx for men (www.spanx.com).

looks like a great product...I just don't see myself paying that much for a plain shirt...Alot of athletic brands can do that same effect for about 1/10 the price.

My fiance wears Riddel Athletics brand compression ("football/baseball") shirts daily. We get them at Walmart for $12.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    Thanks for posting - learning a lot. Off topic... what does BUMP mean on here?
  • indynurse11
    indynurse11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the product you were thinking about or not. We use this at the hospital to help between skin folds of our patients to help wick away moisture and prevent rashes/chafing. http://www.inter-dry.com/
  • Tsdelk
    Tsdelk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to come back to and respond a bit later:flowerforyou:
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've lost 102 pounds and have around 14-20 to go. I have some loose skin, it's not major but it's there. I went round the internet looking for help and one article I found said if you massage the area with en exfoliator it helps. I got an shower cream with exfoliator and started to do that, and I also read that aloe vera gel also helps, so I do the massage in the morning in the shower, then I massage aloe vera gel after my bath in the evening, and it is tightening. I guess we have to remember it took a while to stretch so will take a while to tighten up, but just those two things each day are helping.

Good luck with this, it seems so unfair after we work so hard to lose the weight we are left with loose skin. I hope this helps you like it has me.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Lotion mixed with vitamin E capsules (or pure almond oil) has done the trick for me!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Pre-plastics, I wore shapewear to hold everything in place. I still wear support capris when I exercise (someday I will get my thighs done). I have had my arms done, a breast lift, and a lower body lift. Best money ever spent. I feel "whole" again.

Excess skin will not firm up. Get your finances in order and get a loan. A good residency plastic surgery program usually runs about half the cost. I am a single mom of 2 with no child support. If I can afford it, anyone can.
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options
    Pre-plastics, I wore shapewear to hold everything in place. I still wear support capris when I exercise (someday I will get my thighs done). I have had my arms done, a breast lift, and a lower body lift. Best money ever spent. I feel "whole" again.

Excess skin will not firm up. Get your finances in order and get a loan. A good residency plastic surgery program usually runs about half the cost. I am a single mom of 2 with no child support. If I can afford it, anyone can.

I think it's irresponsible to say for certain that "excess skin will not firm up". This might have been true for you, but it is not true for 100% of all people, and people should look into ways that they can attempt to firm their skin (weight lifting, toning, creams, etc) before they look into surgery. IMHO, surgery should be a final option for those who have lost an incredibly large amount. And of course seeing a professional about such issues would definitely help.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I agree.. there is a rule of thumb to wait atleast two years after weight loss before considering plastic surgery.. wow
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through this whole thread.. But Monistat makes a chafing cream that is fantastic, you can also use it as a makeup primer. I used it when I was pregnant and it was so awesome not to worry so much about blisters.. Cause here in the south we sweat all the time,
  • KC7997
    KC7997 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this information!
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    WEIGHTS!!! I lost 165lbs myself and have found that starting a weight lifting routine has helped immensely. At first I looked a little bigger, but I played with my calories to keep burning fat and my legs are showing definition. My arms are tougher, and I used to get so many rashes too, but invested in some tighter, breathable workout gear to ease up on the friction. Before the weights I did give surgery a try, but I am glad i saved my money.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    We both need the skin removal surgery but can't afford insurance or the monthly payments if we finance it.

According to research "loose Skin" is not what most people think it is. I myself was considering surgery as well but then I found out that unless your skin is paper thin (or around the thickness of the skin on back of your hand) then it is not "loose" but a layer of subcutaneous fat. If you keep loosing weight it WILL firm up. This may take a little longer for your skin to tighten IF you have been overweight for many years (like me). Don't go under a knife till it is 100% needed. Just keep of your great progress and be patient it will happen Without surgery. Trust me, I look alot better with pants on since the "loose skin" hides and you see a more toned looking stomach. It is annoying I know but the only thing I would recommend is keep going. If you want to help with the skin tightening in a more healthy and possibly faster I would say try mixing cocoa butter lotion and scar gel (I buy my scar gel at a dollar store for a buck) and Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Read this http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Reading this made my day. I haven't gotten to the loose skin stage yet, Im a bit nervous about it

Agreed. Thanks for this info.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have lost ~120 lbs and have achieved remarkable improvement in my abdomen from lifting heavy (dead-lifts and squats ~150 - 160 lbs). I think in about 3-4 months I will have a perfectly flat abdomen.

As some others mentioned, those unsightly folds of skin are due to excess fat that remains under the skin; therefore, focus on FAT REDUCTION.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!