• deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes i do i look silly in a dress lol
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Or a skirt/dress??

I've worn both and gotten a job from both. Just as long your appearance is professional and you're groomed well.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've wore the same skirt suit each time I have been interviewed and recieved the job right away or called back for final interviews and recieved the job.

Idk but I feel more professional and confident in it. I think it depends on what makes you feel confident and they see it.
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I think it can depend on what is worn in your office on the daily. For example, my office is SUPER casual. But that doesn't mean I didn't dress it up a bit more on interview day. I dress really preppy for the most part so that day I wore really pretty ballet flats, skinny dress pants, a satin button down shirt and a casual blazer.

When I worked in financing though, I wore pant suits/pencil skirts for the most part. For that interview, I wore black high-waisted dress pants, a tucked in pinstripe button down and a matching blazer with pumps. It's like I stepped out of a page from The Limited's catalog :laugh:
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a pant suit and a colorful top under. I try to keep the color in the blue family as this color denotes truthfulness to the party you are meeting. So far it has always worked for me. I also try to make sure the cut is flattering and I look like I can handle anything thrown at me. So while I keep it a pant suit I wear heels and some jewelry so I am in the middle of dressed up and business casual.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Whatever an appropriately professional outfit is for that particular workplace, I'd wear it. I don't discriminate between pants, skirts, and dresses. I've gone to interviews in all three (not at the same time :tongue: ).

Edited to clarify the first sentence.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Skirt or Pants Suit with a light colored blouse, modest heels and modest make-up (I don't wear make-up unless I'm going to a party). Depends on the weather. Cold? Pants. Warm? Skirt.

Good Luck!
  • It depends on the company. I check what the dresscode usually is within than company (sometimes I just drive by the parkinglot to check what people work there or what is custom to wear).

Mostly I wear pants because they make me feel more empowered and equal to men. I don't want men to mistake me for a silly *kitten*. I have balls and I bite ;). I want people to judge me on my potential and talent, not on my legs.

I'm speaking from experience where I worked in a large worldwide company and they kept reffering to me as the 'charm offensive' because I dressed in skirts (knee long!) and I one time lost two upper buttons on my blouse. LADIES ALWAYS WEAR A TOP UNDER A BLOUSE!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • folkoono
    folkoono Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Haha! It's funny 'cos I'm British ;)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I wear whatever looks good and is appropriate for the weather. I look much better in skirts, but I wear pants if it's the middle of winter.

I don't think skirt/pants matters much, as long as you look professional. My skirts are actually a skirt set that includes a jacket, and I wear a nice shell with it.

There's a big difference between a floral ruffled skirt and a charcoal pencil skirt made from suiting material. If you pair it with low heels, it's just as professional as pants. One lady I hired wore a very nice light pink wool skirt suit with white trim on the collar and cuffs. She wore it with pearls and gold earrings. She looked like Jackie O.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I will only wear pants, never skirts. wear to the interview whatever you think you'll be willing to wear on the job. i started here out of college a bit over 16 years ago and i wore a pantsuit. i found out a few years later they thought it was brazen that i had worn pants as the women were only allowed skirt suits. i told them i wouldn't work for a company that wouldn't take me as i was. i wasn't going to wear a skirt and if they didn't like it, too bad, i won't work there. they actually changed the dress code because of me. the women were overjoyed. now we're business casual so it no longer matters.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have always worn a suit with pants or a skirt. It really depends on where you are interviewing. Most places these days don't discredit a woman wearing pants, but a lot of law firms and investment banks still view skirts more favorably, as do well-established companies that are run by older men.

This........
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm speaking from experience where I worked in a large worldwide company and they kept reffering to me as the 'charm offensive' because I dressed in skirts (knee long!) and I one time lost two upper buttons on my blouse. LADIES ALWAYS WEAR A TOP UNDER A BLOUSE!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Oh no! :) I keep safety pins in my purse and desk for this very reason.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It depends totally on the job, time of year, etc. I wore a skirt to the interview for my current job, mostly because I interviewed in the summertime when it was 105 degrees out and didn't want to be sweaty and disgusting by the time I walked from the parking lot to the building, but the one I had before this I wore pants because it was cooler outside. I don't really see what difference it makes, as long as a person is comfortable and dressed appropriately for the position.

ETA, I have never in my life worn a suit, and really the only places here I have ever seen anyone wearing a suit (man or woman) has been at the capitol or some of the bigger law firms/investment firms downtown. Otherwise, Austin is a VERY casual city. I'm one the only people I know who can't wear jeans to work (except on Fridays).
  • SaraSapp
    SaraSapp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the job you're interviewing for. I'm an accountant. In my accounting fraternity in college, we had a session about interviewing. The instructor said women should wear a black, or navy skirt suit with panty hose and close toed heels. Also, wear simple jewelry and neutral colored nails. I've always followed this during interviews, however, it's 2012 and I think a pant suit is completely fine and you should wear something that makes your comfortable so you're not concerned with your outfit, but rather focused on the interview. Good luck!
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I more likely than not wear a pants suit and heels.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yes I wear pants. Underwear is kind of mandatory for a job interview.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    depends on what the job is and how formal a place it is. If I'm applying to work at a business office, say, then probably a skirt, or a suit. If I'm after a cooking job, like I have now...then pants, or even clean neat jeans, and a nice top would be fine. You should dress about a half step above the job environment, I read somewhere. Seemed right to me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Go commando!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes. I wear pants to job interviews.