What do you think about Fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

CBL is another method that is not only unproven but may also be detrimental to your goals, depending on how it's implemented and how the person implementing it responds to it mentally.

What methods do you require to "prove" a dietary strategy?
    World record holding athletes are using it and reporting progress. With no monetary gain. They have no reason to lie to friends, followers, etc because they aren't the ones making money off of Keifer's book.

Everyone I've talked to that has followed the protocol has managed to make progress while maintaining strength. Most of them are strongmen, powerlifters, and crossfitters. So performance is paramount. They wouldn't do it if it affected their sport negatively.

I can understand skepticism, because it's a newer thing and not a lot of people have tried it and talked about it. But saying that it is "detrimental" is way off base. How do you get that?
  • fraser112
    Options
    [/quote]

I've never heard of an athlete using IF, so perhaps some examples are in order. Not trying to baulk at your assertion, I just watch a lot of sports and the eating habits of the athletes I enjoy watching don't involve any fasting; they all eat like horses. If you've ever watched a triathlon or the Tour de France, you'll have noticed the athletes feeding themselves during the competition so as to directly avoid falling into a fasting state (and thus experience the dreaded 'bonking' we all hear of). Fasting and performance don't go together, as far as I've ever read/heard/seen.

I know that IF is great for dropping bodyfat and showing muscle, which is why it's used by bodybuilders to cut for competition.

CBL is another method that is not only unproven but may also be detrimental to your goals, depending on how it's implemented and how the person implementing it responds to it mentally.
    [/quote]

oh yeah im just using it for fat loss then i hope to hit the gym heavy and bulk up at a small surplus, ill use the 16 - 8 style then i think so i can eat like a king for a few hours haha.

Exercising fasted is something ive never seen solid research either way,
    ive seen a study say people lifts increased after a fast
    but then again i wouldny go running a marathon on a 24 hour fast,
    Im pretty sure than argument has been drilled out by the low card lot so it might be a good place to search fat as the main energy source and such.

The tiny people who live unhealthy life styles tones of sugar/ fatty food and heavy smoking and live without any trace of heart disease or cancer i found pretty amazing. just lacking one growth hormon reduced the risk massivly
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^ I can't train fasted. That doesn't work out well for me. Tried once when I lifted early in the a.m.

But w/ the backloading athletes basically keep carbs low during the day, then train, then consume massive quantities of carbs. So you aren't training on an empty stomach and you actually feel pretty decent.

If I go overboard with carbs I end up being bloated or sluggish feeling when I get under the bar. So I'm planning on starting the prep phase soon so I can get my weight where I need it.
  • fraser112
    Options
    ^^ I can't train fasted. That doesn't work out well for me. Tried once when I lifted early in the a.m.

But w/ the backloading athletes basically keep carbs low during the day, then train, then consume massive quantities of carbs. So you aren't training on an empty stomach and you actually feel pretty decent.

If I go overboard with carbs I end up being bloated or sluggish feeling when I get under the bar. So I'm planning on starting the prep phase soon so I can get my weight where I need it.
    is that to increase the gycogen stores? sorta emptying the tank then filling it back up?

I would love someone to mention gomad on here haha someone eating 7000 cals a day would cause this place to melt down.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

is that to increase the gycogen stores? sorta emptying the tank then filling it back up?

I would love someone to mention gomad on here haha someone eating 7000 cals a day would cause this place to melt down.

I actually did like 1/2 GOMAD for a long time and got great results from it. for skinny people I think it's great.

In a nut shell, yes. The basics are, in the morning your body is sensitive to insulin. So you limit carbs so you don't cause an insulin spike. You still get like 30 grams during the day so you aren't going to be dead when training rolls around.
    You train and your muscles are basically hyper sensitive. Then you start pounding simple carbs, ripe bananas, white rice, cookies. whatever..
    this replenishes glycogen. and you want the fast carbs so you get the initial spike and then they're gone. increased insulin levels can inhibit GH production at night, so you don't want a ton of slow digesting carbs in your system when you're off to bed.

It sounds like absurd broscience, but the studies are there to back it up. And elite level athletes are using it and recommending it.
  • fraser112
    Options

I actually did like 1/2 GOMAD for a long time and got great results from it. for skinny people I think it's great.

In a nut shell, yes. The basics are, in the morning your body is sensitive to insulin. So you limit carbs so you don't cause an insulin spike. You still get like 30 grams during the day so you aren't going to be dead when training rolls around.
    You train and your muscles are basically hyper sensitive. Then you start pounding simple carbs, ripe bananas, white rice, cookies. whatever..
    this replenishes glycogen. and you want the fast carbs so you get the initial spike and then they're gone. increased insulin levels can inhibit GH production at night, so you don't want a ton of slow digesting carbs in your system when you're off to bed.

It sounds like absurd broscience, but the studies are there to back it up. And elite level athletes are using it and recommending it.

makes alot of sense but i bet momscience really gets in the way of it haha.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Quotes akin to this amuse me. "I've tried (insert latest whacky diet) several times and *it works* every single time."

Isn't that like "I've quit smoking a few times before..."

Ummmm if "it worked" then why would one have to keep going back to it? Doesn't this imply that the diet was not sustainable?

When I was competitive (back when people were riding around on dinosaurs LOL) we did do some pretty extreme dieting in order to manipulate our appearance for a few hours for that ONE DAY. We all knew it was temporary. Some of us rebounded and would gain 20+ pounds within one week after a show and some of us would just go back to what I like to call "eating sensibly and moving around." Some of us destroyed our thyroids in the process and some of us did not (pesky eating sensibly and moving around thing again).

Crazy fad that "eating sensibly and moving around" thing. With the exception of 8 months 2 years ago it has managed to keep me in the same clothing size (up or down 5 pounds maybe) for over 13 years... And I was a fat kid and struggled with weight my whole life until I found the aforementioned crazy fad.

Too bad it doesn't ever catch on with so many. Perhaps it would if so many weren't searching for the holy grail of "super-high-tech-easy-way-to-get-super-ripped or super-skinny-with-little-to-no-thinking-effort."

Sorry if my post seems to drip of sarcasm. I don't mean to come off in an abrasive fashion. But when you get to my age and have seen some of the stuff I've seen, you tend to get a bit peeved when there is yet another high-tech, new-fangled panacea that "really works."
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^I can agree with that.

And for the average joe who just wants to look better, you can have a pretty average diet. I got down to 10% bodyfat just from keeping up with my macros. I didn't cut carbs. Didn't fast. didn't eat super clean. You just monitor what you eat and make adjustments.

But when you're trying to do something beyond that, it takes more discipline and some manipulation.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ^^I can agree with that.

And for the average joe who just wants to look better, you can have a pretty average diet. I got down to 10% bodyfat just from keeping up with my macros. I didn't cut carbs. Didn't fast. didn't eat super clean. You just monitor what you eat and make adjustments.

But when you're trying to do something beyond that, it takes more discipline and some manipulation.

Yes, you are correct. But I don't see very many elite level athletes populating this site :smile:

In addition to a couple of local level bodybuilding competitions (where I got down to 8% bf) I also modeled fitness, swimwear and commercial (not fashion, too old and too short LOL). I never allowed my bf to go above 18% so I could get to 15/16% in a few days if needed. And how did we do that? You guessed it, low carbing which is a type of fasting. Is it possible to maintain 15/16% bf with relative ease once you get to know your body? Sure. But if we needed to manipulate our appearance in a jiffy, we low-carbed it and voila - great pics.

Yes, discipline is necessary. But it's so much easier to just not let yourself gain too much extra body fat. Maintenance is so much easier.

There is no "fad" that "works" which is sustainable OR healthy and I can see no realistic way that fasting - ie starving for extended periods offers any health benefit, for women in particular. But men also have bones and joints, right?

People need to get off of their duffs and LEARN how their body's work (metabolism - biology 101) and basic nutrition. The rest is personal preference (activity type and intensity/duration/frequency).

^^^Once people do this work they will spend less time distracted by "worthless shiny pretty hype".
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What methods do you require to "prove" a dietary strategy?
    World record holding athletes are using it and reporting progress. With no monetary gain. They have no reason to lie to friends, followers, etc because they aren't the ones making money off of Keifer's book.

Everyone I've talked to that has followed the protocol has managed to make progress while maintaining strength. Most of them are strongmen, powerlifters, and crossfitters. So performance is paramount. They wouldn't do it if it affected their sport negatively.

I can understand skepticism, because it's a newer thing and not a lot of people have tried it and talked about it. But saying that it is "detrimental" is way off base. How do you get that?

Long-term scientific study?

If I can find the article, I'll post it, but there was a long-term study done on the effects of constant IF and it resulted in an increased insulin resistance & elevated blood sugar levels. Two conditions commonly associated with type 2 diabetes and obesity.

As a quick-fix, like any dietary method with a calorie restriction, it's going to be fine and produce results. For a time. I'm sure the strongmen, powerlifters and crossfitters you've talked to have had a cyclical feeding habit, they may use IF for a few months, but rotate back to a more 'usual' feeding method in between these periods... which in turn results in an overall sustainable eating habit that isn't exactly IF, nor is it 'usual' feeding.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning about nutrition, but IF/CBL flies in the face of almost everything I've read so far.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Long-term scientific study?

If I can find the article, I'll post it, but there was a long-term study done on the effects of constant IF and it resulted in an increased insulin resistance & elevated blood sugar levels. Two conditions commonly associated with type 2 diabetes and obesity.

As a quick-fix, like any dietary method with a calorie restriction, it's going to be fine and produce results. For a time. I'm sure the strongmen, powerlifters and crossfitters you've talked to have had a cyclical feeding habit, they may use IF for a few months, but rotate back to a more 'usual' feeding method in between these periods... which in turn results in an overall sustainable eating habit that isn't exactly IF, nor is it 'usual' feeding.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning about nutrition, but IF/CBL flies in the face of almost everything I've read so far.

The whole thing behind CBL was science and studies. Because its based on what chemicals play what roles in your body.

The thing about IF causing insulin resistance, I haven't heard that.

I was saying that the professional athletes are on CBL, not IF. They're similar but different. And no, that isn't a short term thing. Typically it's a long term thing, hence it not being a "fad diet". Because this is sustainable.

And this doesn't involve calorie restriction, so you can't say it's just calories in vs calories out.

I dont think the actual protocol has an "long term" studies because it hasn't been developed for 10 years to really see how long people can stick with it. But people have done it somewhere in the 1-2 year range.

Trust me, I'm usually the first one to throw a red flag up when it comes to things that sound ridiculous. But I actually baught this book and read it because I had numerous friends who compete in strongman/powerlifting tell me how great their results were. And I read posts from professional powerlifters like Julia Ladewski, and Brian Carroll.
    I'm not saying is the perfect diet for everyone but if you need maximum performance at a given weight, it is.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    this might shed a little light on how/why it works.

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/carb-back-loading/