Replies

• allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread and getting lots of ideas!! xx BUMP
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Just an added note: I won't be joining a gym because we are building our own home gym -- slowly but surely. We are both very into fitness and would love to have our own gym here for our children to use as well when they're older with our supervision. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run for us.

Thats what i did and continue to do. Definitely enjoy it at home better
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just an added note: I won't be joining a gym because we are building our own home gym -- slowly but surely. We are both very into fitness and would love to have our own gym here for our children to use as well when they're older with our supervision. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run for us.

Thats what i did and continue to do. Definitely enjoy it at home better

I bought a squat rack now i just need the weights :)
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Brazil butt lift did wonders for my behind.
    The link to my results is in the about me section of my profile

Really good DVD set...would have to agree...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I watched this youtube video and this girl says that the best things to work your butt are squats, side lunges (like stepping to the side, not in front of you) and stiff-legged deadlifts. *shrug* With heavy weights though, not body weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges are not the answer, the op already said she does plenty of squatting.

The Glute bridge or barbell hip thrust has been shown to produce multiple times the Glute activation that either of these exercises do. If you want to hit a particular muscle, train it directly.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

The OP said she does body weight squats, not weighted squats.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I don't have time to read all the responses, but when I worked in a gym, we used to make fun of people wanting a smaller butt while doing nothing but exercises to build it up. You're making your butt muscles bigger by doing lunges, squats, and donkey kicks. That being said, there's nothing wrong with a big butt!

Besides missing the point of her post, you sound like a standup employee.

kinda what I was thinking, too... Wow. I HOPE you work in the gym I workout at. Said no one ever.... really?!? Making fun of people?

It was our college gym and a loooong time ago. Making fun might be a misstatement. More like wondering why so many people do it that way. It's not like I was personal training these people.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP how low are you getting in your squats? you have to go past parallel to for it to hit your glutes and hammies
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I'm genetically blessed with a booty, but before I started losing weight it was flabby and drooping. I (& the SO!) have noticed it rising and firming up; I credit the lift to treadmill incline. Since I'm still in the beginning stages of weight loss with a long way to go, I'm shocked at how quickly it's firming up. This is not my first time losing all the weight, but it is the first time I've seen the results in my derriere so fast (about 6 weeks).
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Commenting to find later. Great thread OP. :)
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    This may sound a bit bizarre... but have you considered using your daughter as a weight?? Having her on your back or holding her out in front of you while doing squats or lunges can prove more difficult than body weight or 10 lbs. I've done pull ups with my younger sister and she always thought it was fun to be lifted up and down. So it's kind of a win-win.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This may sound a bit bizarre... but have you considered using your daughter as a weight?? Having her on your back or holding her out in front of you while doing squats or lunges can prove more difficult than body weight or 10 lbs. I've done pull ups with my younger sister and she always thought it was fun to be lifted up and down. So it's kind of a win-win.
    This is NOT bizarre. My girls LOVE to be my weights when I'm working out. They think it is so much fun-I get a great workout, they giggle and have fun and they see that health and fitness are FUN for the whole family. Their fav is when they sit on my feet when I'm doing sit ups and each time I go up, I kiss their face. I try to hit a new spot each time-nose, forehead, and they think it is HILARIOUS when I kiss their eye!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges are not the answer, the op already said she does plenty of squatting.

The Glute bridge or barbell hip thrust has been shown to produce multiple times the Glute activation that either of these exercises do. If you want to hit a particular muscle, train it directly.

The OP said she does body weight squats, not weighted squats.

And the glute activation she would get from weighted bridges is still more than from weighted squats
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Yes you can add accessory work like isolated glute exercises, however one should never, ever underestimate the big, main, compound lifts.
    I don't know anyone, ever, who would omit squats for isolated moves such as a glute bridge or thrust. Those are accessory work.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options

From the article linked above:

"Don't stop performing your squat, lunge, deadlift, and back extensions movements. Do these on your regular leg day and perform two weekly glute workouts on separate days."

Here's how I went from a flat, English girl, flapjack *kitten* to a juicy rump booty...

Train heavy with big compound lifts like Squats, Deadlifts, Stiff leg or Romanian Deadlifts! Leg Press etc. On leg day I aim for about 3 compound lifts then a few accessory moves until glutes are fried.
    Accessory glute work includes Bridges, Thrusts, Sungle leg stuff like split squats, single leg bridges, single leg thrusts, Weighted hip thrusts, Glute Ham Raise etc etc

In short: Main lifts, then accessory work.
    Work hard enough that you'll barely walk properly for 2-3days after.

That's how I got a booty (from nothing) :D
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    butt seems like hardest to tone
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely no help with the thread, but I just wanted to say I read the title as "WTH is up my butt?!" And it seriously made me LOL.

Actually, I'm still LOLing. So thank you :)

I totally did the same thing!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight and doing body weight squats, then the resistance is being decreased. I've had many a female client ask me how to improve their butt and the answer is always the same. Heavy *kitten* squats (*kitten* to grass), leg press with toes hanging off the top on the pressing platform, long stride lunges.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^ Thanks