WTH is up with my butt?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Be careful with targeting/ training glutes specifically, and ensure you keep everything else in balance to avoid developing a pelvic tilt or other postural issues.

When training the glutes (which, in a way, tuck the pelvis under), add in a few hyper extensions or other movements to strengthen the erector spine (muscles running up the length of the spine from pelvis to head, pulling the pelvis up).
    Ensure you stretch the glutes, hamstrings & abs thoroughly (abs pull the pelvis under to the fromt, in the same way as the glutes).

All lifters at beginner level should keep their program balanced, and if wanting to target/ strengthen a specific muscle, ensure you get help from a PT or do some research. Don't over work one muscle group and risk becoming unbalanced & giving yourself postural issues.

:)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    will pull up to read later at home :)
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    Callanetics will DEFINITELY do the trick. But, you'll probably have to buy the DVD or book.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squats or lunges are not the answer, the op already said she does plenty of squatting.

The Glute bridge or barbell hip thrust has been shown to produce multiple times the Glute activation that either of these exercises do. If you want to hit a particular muscle, train it directly.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

Yes you can add accessory work like isolated glute exercises, however one should never, ever underestimate the big, main, compound lifts.
    I don't know anyone, ever, who would omit squats for isolated moves such as a glute bridge or thrust. Those are accessory work.

I never said stop squatting or deadlifting.

I said if you want to hit the glutes specifically, there are better choices. If you have weak glutes they will remain weak (in relation) unless you train them directly, as other muscles will try to compensate during compound lifts.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Try adding some yoga into your weekly routine. There's a very good reason the term "yoga butt" was coined! :)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, so it's just body weight. I do use proper form - I have to or my knees will kill me. I've used 10lbs for them with my handweights, but that's it.
    That's the answer to your question.