Why...

Options
I find myself asking why...

Why do I say okay this is it and tomorrow I will start... Only to last till lunch time.

Why do I say okay no more soda... Only to find myself that night recycling that 2L of pop I said I wouldn't touch.

Why do I say okay next grocery I won't be getting any process food... Only to find myself putting away those mini frozen pizza and chicken fingers away for those quick dinners.

Why do I look at my treadmill and say "tomorrow we have a date"... Only to find myself hanging my workout clothes on it.

Why do I let my emotions eat that cake... Only to know that my problems will still be there after I am done.

Why do I know the answers to most of these why... Only to keep going the way I am...

Do you find yourself asking these why also?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, but then I think of how miserable I would be if I weighed a lot more, and of how reliant my health is on the things I put in my body, and of how much more alert I generally feel after exercising, and find my willpower again, as in the end, it does come down to willpower, and to the wish to reach your goal, whatever that might be, overriding the wish to find solace in food.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I was that way for a long time. Then, one day, it became the most important thing in the world. I was so sick and tired of being fat. I was tired of not being able to fit in chairs. I was tired of ordering clothes online because I couldn't wear regular plus-size clothes anymore. I was embarrassed to go outside because I was convinced everyone was staring at me.

Now, every time I start to cave, I think about how awful I felt at 356 pounds and how awesome it feels to see the scale go down and my clothes shrink. I think about how horrible I'll feel in a week when the scale either doesn't move or goes up... or my jeans get tight... or whatever.

I don't deprive myself. That's the key. I had cake at my cousin's wedding, and I split a small pizza with a co-worker during lunch. The trick is to realize those are really, truly "treats" and should be enjoyed in moderation. Now that I'm not eating crap all the time, I actually don't like eating it that often. I feel kind of sick when I have treats now. I'd honestly rather have a piece of fruit than a piece of cake.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    When you're ready and decide that it's a priority and important to you, it will all fall in place. Yea, sometimes it'll still be hard but it's all about how bad you want it and how far you're willing to go to get it.
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    It can be really frustrating when you feel like you're ready to change but it's still hard to commit to those changes. As long as you keep trying, that's all that matters for now.
  • Sumissa
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words and advice. Looking at your numbers going down... Good job guys
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I know it is difficult to muster up the willpower to fight all the poor habits that took you years to develop, but it can be done.

Do me a favor: conjure up an image in your mind, a snapshot of you at your goal weight... and make it your ultimate goal weight. What are you doing? What are you wearing? See it in your mind as if you were watching it in a movie, or a photo in a frame.

Now, every time you go to do something that will stop you from attaining this goal, take a few deep breaths and picture this image in your mind. Hold it there, down to the last detail (footwear? sunglasses, or new hairdo?) Now ask yourself what is more important: the thing you know isn't helping you, or your goal?

You can build new habits that will help you reach your dream weight. Let's do it together!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words and advice. Looking at your numbers going down... Good job guys
    It definitely helps to watch the numbers. I remember when I thought it would take FOREVER, but pretty soon, it just becomes a part of daily life. I barely think about what I eat anymore because I know what's good and what's bad after tracking my food for so long. I know what certain foods will do to my weight (i.e. sodium bloat). After a while, it's just routine, and before you know it, ten pounds then twenty pounds then thirty pounds are gone.

The time passes like any other time because it's just part of your life, like getting up, brushing your teeth, going to school or work, and so on. Pretty soon, it's been a few months and you've lost twenty pounds, just like that. You get used to the weight fluctuations and stop flipping out when the scale doesn't move for a week because you know it will move next week or the week after that.

The first 15 pounds were the hardest for me. I was so impatient. Now that I've hit 34 pounds lost, I feel like a champion, and I know I can do this all the way down to my goal weight. Time will pass, the seasons will change, and I'll keep getting smaller.

It isn't a race. It's life.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am making that transition from 'why do I' to 'why did I' so I consider it progress. I have had rough patches and tried to smooth them over with cupcakes and denial but I am not going to be that girl anymore. I am going to be fit and fabulous! And then, when I have a cupcake, because I want it and not because I'm trying to drown my sorrows in it, it will be because I am going to let go of all my mistakes and live healthy.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I did, but why are you wanting to stay fat and unhealthy is a better question than all of those. I don't want to be fat anymore. Also, don't completely cut out those things. Moderation is key.
  • gkershner
    Options

The time passes like any other time because it's just part of your life, like getting up, brushing your teeth, going to school or work, and so on. Pretty soon, it's been a few months and you've lost twenty pounds, just like that. You get used to the weight fluctuations and stop flipping out when the scale doesn't move for a week because you know it will move next week or the week after that.

The first 15 pounds were the hardest for me. I was so impatient. Now that I've hit 34 pounds lost, I feel like a champion, and I know I can do this all the way down to my goal weight. Time will pass, the seasons will change, and I'll keep getting smaller.

It isn't a race. It's life.
    I love this.
  • kikilorain
    kikilorain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did that, too. And it was always because my expectations were too high. I thought I just had no self-discipline. However, I've discovered that I do - as long as I'm reasonable, too. This time around I made only little changes at a time... Instead of trying to lose 2 pounds a week - I aim for .5 or 1. In the beginning I took little short walks and gradually added more.... and this time, I'm having success. I hope you find what works for you - but don't give up.
  • vavera22
    Options
    I agree Its just a switch, there is no magic answer there is nothing other than that moment and you decide there is no other choice.

I was laying in my hammock thinking whats stopping me, and the only answer was me.
    Build the habit then you will feel the change then you find new hurtles and move forward.

I wish there was an easy button
  • vanessamarri
    Options
    Everyday I struggle with the "WHY" its hard to motivate yourself especially if your doing it alone and no one understands. Its easy to eat but so hard to get up and do hard core exercise and eat healthy. We just have to push and motivate our self.:blushing:
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have found it easier if instead of saying no more this no more that I turn it around and say, instead of a whole candy bar today I am going to have 3 squares.... instead of 6 sodas today I will only have 2... after time you can cut it down more and more, until you open your fridge or cupboard and reach naturally for the healthier option. Even at that there are days if I feel like something I will have it if I can fit it in. Going cold turkey rarely works for anything in life.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What is today but yesterday's tomorrow?
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think we live in the same region. I say "pop" too. I drink it sometimes as well :P
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    small changes my friend. don't cut out soda completely right away. if 2 liters is what you normally drink a day or week or whatever, cut it down to 1L in that time frame. make substitutions that are slightly healthier. this is a process, you can't just change your lifestyle on a whim. you have to be emotionally ready to do it, and when you are, it's the slow, gradual changes that will make the change sustainable. it might take you two months, but eventually you'll be cutting out that soda for good.

think of every single item you put in your mouth as one step forward or one step back. which is it going to be?
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate your transparency with this thread. Feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Quit focusing on things you shouldn't do and instead focus on what you can do--and you will do it. Get up and go exercise--find something you like doing. More importantly find your motivation--your goal--this should be your number one focus. If you're passionate enough about it, the eating and exercising will fall inline. Be careful when setting your goals--be specific, positive, and passionate.
  • Dandawa
    Options
    What a great thing this mfp is, support is so great. Many wonderful points here. But bottom line I to was there but right now i just have to be skinner, like i hit rock bottom n nothing stands in my way. When I turned 39 i said years fly by n for one year everydaty i will do one physical thing for myself cause I WILL NOT spend next forty years unhappy unhealthy with my size. since aug 1 st 16 lbs. JUST have to want. In my mind I am already skinny, throw ou t my fat sum mer clothes cause u know next year they wll b 9wayyy to big.