Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options
Railr0aderTony
Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
911tribute.jpg

I was in Wapakoneta Ohio working on the Railroad, I was operating a directional boring machine and our foreman called us and told us to pack it up and head back to the motel then explained why. I was floored, got back to the motel and packed to go home and just stood there glued to the TV, finally I drove home and the schools sent the kids home and we just sat there like Zombies, do not think anyone really said much the rest of the day.

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Sitting in class. It started in my European History class, which was First Period. By the time we got to second period, the school was on lock down. We spent the entire day in the same classroom, watching the news coverage. I remember everyone being in shock for days afterwards, watching the news to see if there were any survivors.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I was dropping my Daughetr off to Kindergarden in NJ.

The BEst man in my wedding worked on teh 110th floor of tower 1, he played hockey the night before and woke up late, instead of being in his office, he was in the train below the tower. Also my Cousin was able to leave unharmed.

Both of them have radically changed their lives since then and it is something we never ever discuss. For those who were there it is like being on a battle field during a war...so ugly you never discuss it and it alters you for the rest of your life.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At work in DC. I saw the smoke from the Pentagon across the way and it was a terrifying day, hard to get out of the city and no one knew what was happening or when the next plane would come out of the sky, but I was safe and so was everyone I knew. Now so many years later I know more people touched very personally by what happened that day. Very somber day.
  • herrhitman
    Options
    I was going to school in Seattle. I had a early class, so I didn't check the news before leaving. When I got to school a classmate was like, "two planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York" and I didn't believe him, but then when I looked online (my class was in a computer lab) it was all over the place. Before class could start, security came through the building and told everyone to go home.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was at my friends house (we live in Scotland) it was just before we were heading our separate ways to go to university. We watched it on tv in disbelief. Her dads from new Mexico.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I was just a kid - not even quite ten yet. My dad called me before I got on the bus for school, but in my nine year old mind the pokemon movie i was watching was more important. Once I got to school ever class had a television on so the teachers could see the news coverage. I live in Oregon. I remember being scared because I didn't know the difference between Washington state and Washington DC so I thought it was happening near by.
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    In the Marines
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Sleeping, but planning on flying out later that day to Vegas. I still have the plane tickets we didn't use that day.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am in England, when the news broke I had just come home from school. My friend and I walked into his house and his mum was sitting watching the news coverage in tears. It still haunts me to this day, we just sat down in silence.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just started college in england... It was all over tv
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had just turned on the TV in my bedroom and oddly it wasn't on Nickelodeon like it normally was, and on the TV were the towers with smoke coming out of one. Diane Sawyer was talking about an airplane and how planes weren't supposed to be flying so low...I didn't know what the heck she was talking about, I thought maybe it was old footage from when there was a bomb in one of the towers years ago...a few minutes later a plane came into the picture and went right through the second tower, then I knew what I was watching was live and I couldn't believe it. I thought all the airplanes had gone mad! I was living in Green Bay Wisconsin at the time but I was from NY so I was really wishing I could be near family and be in that state.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was 13 and playing hookie from school. I was watching the news in horror. I think that's the first time I really was introduced to pure hatred and evil....feeling it and seeing what it could mean.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was going to school and was in 7th grade
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sleeping after working all night and my wife woke me to tell me of the first crash had just occurred
  • mmk2988
    Options
    It was evening in India, I was watching news after returning from tuition, in between the news "BREAKING NEWS- PENTAGON & WTC IS UNDER ATTACK" appeared.
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i was a sophomore in high school...it happened to be on a day that i had a choir club meeting, so we were at school an hour early. instead of having a meeting, our choir director had the tv on. i had no idea what had happened when i first got there. the first plane had already struck. we were all thinking that perhaps it was just a terrible accident...then the second plane hit. we screamed, we cried, and then we were silent for a long time. i happened to be wearing a "new york" t-shirt that had the skyline in the background with the twin towers. it was so surreal. i remember seeing people jumping from the buildings, hand in hand, and i LOST it. that still haunts me to this day, i doubt i will ever forget it.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sent home from primary school at 8:30 in the morning so our parents could explain to us what was going on. One of the teachers was distraught as her sons tour through the states had him there on that day, fortunately he'd been held up by a day in his itenery.
    I remember my friends mum dropping me off at home, and walking in the door and just seeing my mum sitting on the couch shocked into tears and silence... after watching the replayed footage and commentary of the planes crashing into the towers 4-5 times I understood that the world was more horrible than my 10 year old brain could have ever imagined...

I'll never forget that that was the day my innocence died.

My brother came home early from school and joined my sobbing mum and I on the couch... apparently thats all they had been seeing/hearing at school all day the councillors had kept them at school to monitor them.
  • NdBuk
    NdBuk Posts: 25
    Options
    I was in Menorca, on a very quiet resort with the missus (Well, the girlfriend at the time).

First I heard was 2 days later when we were on a trip. The rep made an announcement on the bus that they'd managed to negotiate for everyone to take one piece of hand luggage each on the flight home. We thought that was a bit of a strange thing to say given that you can always take one piece each on a charter flight..

It took a good 20 minutes after that before someone would tell us why. They just assumed we were trying to be funny.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Was working in a call centre. In the middle of one of the calls, the customer said 'Fcu*ing Hell, a plane just crashed into the world trade centre'

Had to wait another few hours to get home and put the news on because our Boss refused to turn the TV on. Needless to say the call volumes dropped to near zero and I remember nearly every caller you could hear the TV in the background, or they were saying something about the attack.
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was at work but remember watching it live on Sky news. Such a sad day and one that we should never forget. God bless to everyone that was affected that day x