Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Very sunny summery day, at Lakeside Bowling alley in England on very empty lanes, practicing for the match we had later on with my bowling team. The scores went down and every TV had the towers on them, it was surreal, at 19 it was hard to take in and make sense of
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just woke up and went to sit in the recliner so I could prepare and relax to have my labor induced the next morning.
  • Rubyinthesand2012
    Options
    I was at home in England about to go and collect my then 5yr old son from school when the news broke, i remember watching the tv when they thought it was an accident and then seeing the second plane hit. I cried all the way to school and rushed home afterwards its was surreal, watching it over and over i think the images are burnt into my memory forever. no matter what else i forget in my life that day will always be etched in my memory!
    My thoughts and prayers are as always with those who lost someone to 9/11 either on that day and in the days weeks months years since the hundreds of servicemen and women who proudly served their countries and gave their lives. And my deepest respect to those who currently serve
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I assume I was in class, can't really remember. I remember watching the news in the morning before school, but I don't remember anything from after that. I was 7 years old. One of the reasons I decided to join the military.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Serving my country in the U.S Navy and proud to be doing this for last 15 1/2 years!!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Today just makes me reminds why we do what we do. Thank you to all who serve past and present!!

Thank you for your service!
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had just dropped my boys off at school and come home and heard from my sister than a plane hit one of the Twin Towers. I thought it was an accident and I turned the TV on and a few minutes later saw the second plane hit - I was glued to the TV the rest of the day.

God Bless the victims and their families and all military personnel serving past and present!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I was 13, so I am guessing I was in school.

I remember I didn't know about it until I came home and my Mom told me.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I was on the West Side Highway, a mile north of the World Trade Center watching the north tower burn when the second plane nit the south tower. I was hoping that fires would eventually subside, when the south tower collapsed and not long afterward the north tower went. Unbelievable, nightmarish day, and to those of you who lost loved ones on that day, you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since. God bless.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was 14, I had gone home for my lunch break and it was on the Tv. When I went back to school, classes were stopped (but they had to keep us til 4) so we just watched the news in my french class in silence for the rest of the day. I hadn't even known what the WTC was. x
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Serving my country in the U.S Navy and proud to be doing this for last 15 1/2 years!!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Today just makes me reminds why we do what we do. Thank you to all who serve past and present!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I live in England, and I was at work, when a friend sent me a text message saying a plane had flown into the twin towers. At that point I didn't know what twin towers she was talking about (22 years old, never been to America, not especially interested in America either) and I was like "what does this mean, is this war"! I looked on the internet, and I couldn't even get the BBC website up as all the web traffic was crashing our internet server. Another friend who I worked with emailed me about it as she had the radio on in her office, and then someone brough a television into our area as the head of department's brother actually worked at the WTC...

Thoroughly horrific events. I can't understand why, to this day, it happened, and I don't want to understand the frame of mind that does that. My thoughts are, as always, with the families, friends and survivors of the attack.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was 19 years old, and working as a nanny in my summer vacation from uni in Marin County in California. I was looking after 2 small boys, and I was making pancakes in the kitchen with them and the next door nanny (who was also my friend from uni in Scotland) and the two kids she looked after, when the boys' mum ran in and told us "America has been attacked" and we went to see on the TV, the WTC was burning and it was all just awful. My employer insisted my friend and I call our families.

They were evangelical Christians, the boys' mum took the kids off to pray at their church after that, and my friend and I got the day off. We didn't feel like doing anything, it was all just too numb and weird, we just sat by the pool and tried to get BBC world service on the radio. Somehow we felt like we needed to hear voices from home. I guess it was odd, being non-American, and being in America when it happened.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    As we entered the lounge area of the exercise studio after boot camp a small TV was on - the first plane had struck. After watching for a few minutes, I started the drive home with the radio on and then the second plane struck. As we drove around the metropolitan area during the following days we always saw the spiral of smoke from lower Manhattan. Everyone I know here in NY knows someone who was lost. Everyone in Manhattan that day speaks of the endless walk as all transportation was shut down. We drove into Manhattan a few days later - we were permitted only as far south as Canal Street where we stood with many others paying our respects to those lost and offering support to the workers coming and going from the WTC. Many were touching pieces of the reckage as it slowly passed by atop a constant flow of large flatbed trucks driving north. I will be listening today, as I have every year since, to the memorial program and the reading of the names.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I love all these stories from all over the world.
  • genefabes
    Options
    junior year, history class.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    I live in the UK so it was lunchtime here and it was live on the tv. I watched in horror as second plane hit and could not believe what i was seeing. Thought the world was coming to an end or something.

May all the souls that were lost on that tragic day rest in peace. x

17427511.png
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm in Manchester, England.

I'd been working the early shift and when I came in from work MrWW had Sky news on which was reporting the first hit. Thinking it was an awful accident I did my normal routine of flicking on the kettle on when suddenly the second plane hit. First thing I did was to call work and tell them to get to a TV, but they were already watching in the canteen. I sat on the settee with my coat still on and I don't think I moved from in front of the TV for the rest of the day, horrified by what I saw.

My heart is with the families and friends of those innocents killed in the name of all acts of terrorism, in the USA and worldwide.

x
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was in Houston as an exchange student (I'm Dutch). We had English, and had a project or something that placed us in the computer room. All of a sudden the principal came on the speakers, telling us not to panic and that he and the team were monitoring the situation. We had no idea what he was talking about, so we all went to CNN, BBC, whatever news website we could find. And they were all down. CNN came back up, white with just line for line of info. I remember that many planes were "missing" those first few hours. After English I had website design, in the office of one of the teachers, and we had the radio on and news websites on constant refresh. I remember teachers that kept coming in to get the latest updates.
    During lunch I called my mom back in The Netherlands, convincing here that there were no targets in Houston that they could possibly hit (never mind all that oil). The rest of the day was just insane. Everybody in shock.
    A few exchange students from the organisation I was with went home a week or so after that, I staid.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I was in my junior year of high school in northern Pakistan. I remember it being around dinner time, but I'm not too sure. Probably right with the time difference. Our Scottish neighbour ran in talking about towers and New York, didn't understand at all, I'd never heard of the twin towers. We watched for several hours, trying to work out what was going on. Several days later all the Americans suddenly left our school, because they were worried that it would be the start of a conflict between the US and Afghanistan, which would impact Pakistan - which was certainly true soon afterwards. I remember thinking that it was so strange that something so horrible and awful happening on the other side of the world could directly impact a little community living in northern Pakistan. These days Pakistan is on the news every other day, but back then most people had trouble finding it on a map, or got it confused with Palestine.