Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in an 8:30am sophomore college anatomy class (about an hour north of Pittsburgh, PA) with a professor who was from NYC and had friends and family who worked in the twin towers .... :frown:
  • Mindythegreat
    Options
    Pregnant with my 3rd child, thrilled to have a morning to myself. My husband took the other 2 to the park.

Had to go get him when I saw what was going on...He's FDNY...and he had to report to work.

Driving to the park, Staten Island was chaotic, people running red lights, and I saw the smoke in the distance.

He went to report to the ferry terminal, which was to be a temp morgue...wasn't needed as there were not many bodies found that day...

Spent the entire day watching tv, not eating, while the twins were watching cartoons on the other tv.

That was the beginning of a hellish few months...
  • annmedford71
    annmedford71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was at home with my daughters. Living 20 min from D.C. and 10 min from Andrews Ai force Base. My uncle who is FBI out of New York was actually at the Pentegon when it got hit. We were one of the lucky ones he was in another area when the plane hit.
    For all the lost souls on tha tday may they be resting in peace,and know we are still fighting in their names today.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    in geography class, they brought us in a tv to watch the news!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was at home with my 7 day old daughter, my husband was in the air flying to Ireland. It was hours before I could contact him and I spent it glued to the TV, sobbing. Even now my eyes full up and I can feel the panic rising. My heart went out to all those ordinary people going about their daily routines. People just like me.
  • geminitwin1979
    Options
    I was in the south of france on holiday having a meal when it came on the tv and i just remember the whole room went silent and tears started flowing ...thinking back now such a tragic event united the world as in that room was french, german, dutch, spanish, english and americans and we all sat together in shock, distress, fear..... mourning our brothers and sisters across the pond ! A truly tragic day etched in our memories forever R.I.P x
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    11 years ago today, i was 9 years old my little brother was only a few months old and i was at home playing with toys with him and then all of a sudden i saw the breaking news all over tv! :(
  • eesuperstar
    eesuperstar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was in the Navy on shoreduty stationed overseas. I got off of work and was about to go to bed when my neighbor rushed over and turned on the tv. I saw the first crash, sighed, then started getting dressed in my BDUs. Before I could finish dressing the MPs were at my door telling me I was being activated as a full time MP. I said, "I know". I didn't see my bed for 3 days.

I ended up being put in charge of a dozen or so pissed off activated reservists once they shipped them over.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I was actually driving to college, it was about 30 minutes away and I had stayed up way too late the night before. I was late instead of listening to the radio I had my cd's playing. I got to school and everyone was watching the TV. I was pretty shocked, I had no idea ...we didnt have class at all that day but instead we had the option to stay and watch the news or go home. I remember my best friend and I sitting there...I remember crying and thing omg how could this happen. I remember my mom calling me....I remember going into work that night.... it was just a real shocking time. Hard to believe its already been that long ago.
  • HellsBells61
    Options
    In England. Walking down a corridor in my office building and noticed a crowd of people in one of the meeting rooms where we had a tv. I joined them and a couple of minutes later watched in abject horror as the second plane hit. All work stopped for the rest of the day. Our CEO at the time was American and said that we could all go home if we wanted to, but most people stayed. I think we needed the comfort of each other as we watched the day's events unfold.

It was only a few days later that I learned that a friend of ours (from the UK) was supposed to be on a plane from Boston to NY that day. Fortunately he had changed his plans and flew in the night before. As he is often travelling to the US he hadn't told his wife of the change of plan. She spent the rest of the day not knowing if he was alive or dead. It took him many, many hours to get a message to her that he was safe.

I cannot think about that day or watch any of the dozens of films or documentaries that have been made about it since without a profound sense of grief.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    in the UK, in a series of back-to-back meetings about redundancies (I was being made redundant). Information started coming through and at first we thought it was a light aircraft that'd been flown badly, and were even making bad jokes about how those crazy americans cant miss such enormous buildings (which sends a shiver down my spine to think about how we laughed about it). About an hour later, probably after the next meeting, the enormity of it was starting to come through.

We didnt have a TV or radio in the office, and the internet was hopeless, so most of us went and sat in our cars and put the radio on. I drove straight home and got back to switch the TV on about 10 minutes before the first tower collapsed. I was working on the fringes of investment banking and a lot of friends lost friends that day.

My wife was on business in Austria and due to fly back the next day. Not a good time to be apart, and I almost got in the car and drove the 1000 miles or so to get her.

Then I had to fly into JFK on 9/11 the next year, which was another sobering experience.
  • danaweston
    Options
    I was at work in a dental office in central Texas listening to the radio. We will NEVER forget. God Bless USA
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was just coming back from school, turned the tv on and it was on every channel! was huge shock!
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was visiting relatives in Canada, i was about 350mile away from when it all went off.
  • caljoc
    caljoc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    About to enter my barracks and then put on immediate lock-down. Portsmouth UK.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I had just moved back in with my parents, and was heading to the park to go jogging, so i could lose enough weight to join the marines. I went into my parents kitchen, and my mom told me to turn on the news. I'll never forget that moment.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Was on the road travelling for work. I arrived at my appointment just as first tower fell, appointment cancelled and I embarked on wht I consider the loniest 3 hours of my life.
  • Frenchyken89
    Frenchyken89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was in 7th grade in Oregon. I remember waking up and seeing my mom crying on her bed watching the news. Then saw the 2nd plane hit. I went to school and we watched the news coverage all day...in the classrooms, lunch room ect.. It was tragic. We will always remember the men/women/children who lost their lives that day and thank you to all the First Responders and Miltary men/women who have served from that day on! We appreciate you.
  • michay
    michay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was a freshman in high school, it was the first week of school. We were in our homeroom class when the principal announced that a plane had crashed into the WTC and one at the Pentagon. We were then hustled to a room with a TV where we watched live coverage of it for pretty much the whole morning. It was surreal and really hard to believe.
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    5 months pregnant with my 1st child visiting family in Mississippi. was supposed to leave the day after by train, and they shut down all of them so ended up on a bus back home.