Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• preacheraflame
    Options
    I was working at a mental health unit at a hospital. One of the patients came running down the hall telling us about what she had seen on the television. I didn't really believe her until I had gone down to the lounge area and had seen it for myself. I called my wife and told her to turn on the television and see what was happening.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was on the school bus home when the first plane crashed (I'm in the UK) x
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the USA (I'm from Oxford, UK) but I was 9 years old.
    My grandparents had picked me and my brother (7 y.o.at the time) up from school and brought us home.
    The towers collapsed pretty much as we got through the front door (10:00-10:30 New York time/15:00-15:30 UK time) and I remember my grandmother being beside herself because my uncle was flying in New York (he was a Virgin Atlantic Captain) and she had no idea if he was safe or not.

We were lucky enough to hear that our loved ones were safe that day but so many others weren't.

My thoughts are with the families of the many innocent victims that were taken from us 11 years ago.
    RIP.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was doing my studet teaching in a Head Start classroom in Barberton, OH. I will never forget one of the staff members coming in and telling us that the first plane hit and we had the radio in the class room on when the second one hit. I guess I used to think that my parents were nuts for being able to remember excatically where the were and what they were doing when Kennedy was shot, but after 9-11, I completely understand.
  • Jamie0529
    Jamie0529 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was living in Vermont working at Vermont Fasteners when we heard the news and though it was a hoax. My boss ran to the store and got an antenna for the TV in the break room and we all gathered around the TV in shock. Couldn't believe it was really happening and scared not knowing if the attack was going to continue.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had just arrived at the office from a meeting, everyone was watching the events unfold around a T.V, the first tower was on fire and the news reporters were still speculating about a plane having crashed into the tower when we saw the second plane strike the second tower live, I will never forget that image. We just all sat around in shocked disbelief and watched.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was in England at the time. Had been going through some stuff and was with a friend. He gave me a big hug and I saw it over his shoulder because the tv was on.... I couldn't move I was in such shock as was he. Will never forget.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Had just gotten up from bed and heard my husband talking on the phone to his uncle and just as I walked through the door the 2nd plane hit the tower,I immediately broke into tears and could not believe what was happening. Something like that I don't think I will ever forget. My family being from Pa has been thinking of visiting the Memorial here! My heart goes out to any one that lost someone or themselves were effected by this terrible act!!
  • mzkezh
    Options
    Just finish taking a walk, trying to go into labor, I was 1 1/2 weeks past my due date and he was not trying to come. I ended up going into labor that night and having him the next morning.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As the Allen Jackson song states, I was "teaching a class full of innocent children".

Have you ever tried to explain to a classroom full of 4/5 year old Kindergarteners WHY bad people do these things?

I don't suggest it, it wasn't fun and I was in tears trying to explain it to them.
  • Dani_Detroit
    Options
    On vacation in Luxumburg, didn't know what happened until 1am the next day after arriving home. The streets were a bit quite but I thought nothing of it since it is such a small country with very little people.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    At work here in Scotland, only myself and the chef were in the building, we heard a report on the radio so went to put the tv on in the bar, sat there in silence. I had visited New York in January that year on a work incentive holiday and did the trip to the viewing platform.
  • lisha7997
    lisha7997 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force stationed in Misawa, Japan trying to get ready for mid-shift. My best friend and I were headed to her room when we got a glimpse of the tv right after the first plane hit, and her being from NY we stopped to see what was happening. We saw the second plan hit and our tears started to flow. She started trying to call her family to make sure they were safe but we couldn't get through because all the circuits were busy. Our base went into lockdown after that.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was at work in northern Virginia; my tech and I were upstairs on the production line. The news started coming through on our pagers (yes, pagers!) and we were propagating the news through the plant. Many of the employees had spouses in DC and some even in the pentagon. The land lines and cell phone towers all were shut down in the area and the internet was bogged down so it was virtually impossible to communicate. I remember we took a super long lunch at a local restaurant so that we could watch it on tv. There was much prayer and hugging going on at work that day. I also remember the flood of texts that came through late that evening of friends from out of state wanting to ensure that I was okay.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I was deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base (Saudi base w/ a Coalition compound). The whole place was silent. Chow halls are usually pretty loud, but none of the other nations' forces knew what to say to us ... Just a quiet "sorry, mate."
    We had a big white board of all the people we knew at the Pentagon, so we could mark them off one by one as word trickled in that they were safe, which took days.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    When the news broke it was very late at night in Australia but I was watching the tv at the time. I remember I was on the phone to my then boyfriend and was in my final year of high school. What terrified me the most is watching the live news coverage when the second plane hit. I was so scared I hung up from him and woke my mum.
    The next day my best friend and I watched the news together in the morning while the rest unfolded and went to school where we all sat in classrooms watching in silence.
    We we all so scared that a war would break.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I saw it on the news when I came home from school in the UK. Don't remember much about where I was but remember the footage.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A lady who I used to babysit for then, died in the towers, she was British, all countries were victims that day. Life goes on, but it's nice to pay tribute to those who lost their lives as well.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force stationed in Misawa, Japan trying to get ready for mid-shift. My best friend and I were headed to her room when we got a glimpse of the tv right after the first plane hit, and her being from NY we stopped to see what was happening. We saw the second plan hit and our tears started to flow. She started trying to call her family to make sure they were safe but we couldn't get through because all the circuits were busy. Our base went into lockdown after that.

Thank you for your service
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    at home with my 4 kids, hubby was working from home and on a call to a customer at the time, I went and got him and told him he had to come see the news, he looked at me shocked because Id disturbed a work call (something id never normally do) so I told him to tell his customer to also switch on the news ... needless to say they did and their little call wasn't quite as important any more.