11 days, why I can't do this?

Options
Hi all,

I start counting calories since sept 1st and MFP set my calories intake 1542 a day. Everyday I always exceed my calories intake.

On the first day, I could say to myself, It's okay if you exceed your calories intake, at least now you're learning to log your food.
But now am already on the second week and I still can change my eating habbit.

I start eat more fruits and vegetables, but I still can give up chocolate and tea (with sugar).

I'm a graduate student and currently working on my dissertation. Am also have a part time job. I dont want to make excuses, but really, it's very very hard for me to study/work when am hungry. I'm also still not able to start exercise.

I really want to change and get a healthy body. please tell me what to do :(

Replies

• vikingchix
    vikingchix Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is no magic words....in order to lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you burn.

So...my advise would be to make good food decisions and move more :-)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to change your eating habits and can't exercise, honestly, you're screwed.

I'd suggest eating nutrient dense foods and try replacement items (replacing high calorie items with low calorie ones in meals).

While logging is of great help, you still actually have to work at it too.
  • jrobinjo
    Options
    Take the sugar out of your house. That's what I have to do. Get some splenda or stevia. That will cut down a lot of sugar cals. I also can't have chocolate in the house or it will be gone. If I really really want chocolate I have to travel 8 miles to get it.
  • cjk76
    cjk76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What really helps me is to portion out foods ahead of time so you only have a serving size (or 2) available. If you see less food on your plate, your body will know that less is available to it. This includes snacks like almonds or butterless popcorn.

If you're a grad student, minimize the alcohol. Alcohol = sugar. 1 or 2 a night and just sip on it. Put a max amount per week.

That seems really agressive. Could you make your goal 2000 cal and slowly move it down from there?
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    What really helps me is to portion out foods ahead of time so you only have a serving size (or 2) available. If you see less food on your plate, your body will know that less is available to it. This includes snacks like almonds or butterless popcorn.

If you're a grad student, minimize the alcohol. Alcohol = sugar. 1 or 2 a night and just sip on it. Put a max amount per week.

That seems really agressive. Could you make your goal 2000 cal and slowly move it down from there?

If I make my goal 2000 cal, according to MFP, am just maintaining my current weight.

I am 202 lbs and 5'5.

am changing my goals to half pound a week, but I still exceed the calories. I eat around 1800 to 2000 cal a day.
    the other day I check my tdee was 2027 cal.

what is the most realistic goals for me for now, and how i should do it?
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options

If I make my goal 2000 cal, according to MFP, am just maintaining my current weight.

I am 202 lbs and 5'5.

am changing my goals to half pound a week, but I still exceed the calories. I eat around 1800 to 2000 cal a day.

At 200 pounds I don't think 2000 calories a day will be maintaining your wight. I've always heard that to lose weight people should eat within a few hundred calories above their BMR. Your BMR is around 1700 calories so if you are doing any activity then anywhere from 1800-2000 calories would still have you losing weight.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options

I am 202 lbs and 5'5.

At 200 pounds I don't think 2000 calories a day will be maintaining your wight. I've always heard that to lose weight people should eat within a few hundred calories above their BMR. Your BMR is around 1700 calories so if you are doing any activity then anywhere from 1800-2000 calories would still have you losing weight.

according to scoobyworkshop my BMR is 1621, TDEE 2027.
    i've worked my math, for the last 11 days my average calories intake is 1791. I get 236 calories defisit a day, that make 0.472 lbs weight loss per week.

maybe for sept i better stick with 1800 cal, then from there maybe I can manage to decrease my calories intake. btter less than nothing at all, no?

For the last two weeks I have learned to be discipline logging my food. next two weeks I must learn to stick w/ my calories plan.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What are your settings? Have you set yourself up to lose .5, 1, or 2lbs a week? If you're set at 2lbs try going to .5. I realize slow weight loss can be so so frustrating but you're already carrying a ton of stuff on your shoulders so don't make weight loss an added burden. Ease into this slowly. It will happen.

Try to get a little exercise in. I do the Walk Away the Pounds dvds by Leslie Sansone and I walk outdoors but with as busy as you are a DVD might help. She has all kinds DVDs and they have them for as low as $8 at Wal-Mart so it won't cost you a lot. Just start out doing a mile or if you have time do 2 or 3. Bottom line, just do a little each day. It will add up!

Between a light workout and a small calorie deficit you'll start to slowly drop and it will be something you can realistically maintain.

I expect you're tired and so that will spur you to want to eat more. A lot of people swear by mini meals but I never found that worked for me. I do 3 square meals daily and allow myself the calories for an evening snack. Find something you like that you can eat a lot of to fill those times when you're studying late or working late and are hungry. I have gotten into the cheaper veggies like cucumbers, broccoli, and carrots. I eat those with a measured amount of ranch dip. I can eat a lot of veggies and feel full!

Drink a ton of water and green tea. Avoid soda.

Take you supplements to help with the stresses of all you're doing right now. To each his own but I take fish oil, vitamin C, a food based multi, cinnamon, and Vitamin D. You by NO means have to take all these but maybe a multi and fish oil?

This is hard, it really is but take baby steps! The slower you do it the more likely it will stick. You will learn the habits for life rather than getting a quick fix.

Like I said, you have such a busy life right now so slowly work towards good health rather than all-or-none right now. Start small and as life eases a little you can get into harder workouts and a cleaner eating pattern!

All the best to you!!!!
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    What are your settings? Have you set yourself up to lose .5, 1, or 2lbs a week? If you're set at 2lbs try going to .5. I realize slow weight loss can be so so frustrating but you're already carrying a ton of stuff on your shoulders so don't make weight loss an added burden. Ease into this slowly. It will happen.

Try to get a little exercise in. I do the Walk Away the Pounds dvds by Leslie Sansone and I walk outdoors but with as busy as you are a DVD might help. She has all kinds DVDs and they have them for as low as $8 at Wal-Mart so it won't cost you a lot. Just start out doing a mile or if you have time do 2 or 3. Bottom line, just do a little each day. It will add up!

Between a light workout and a small calorie deficit you'll start to slowly drop and it will be something you can realistically maintain.

I expect you're tired and so that will spur you to want to eat more. A lot of people swear by mini meals but I never found that worked for me. I do 3 square meals daily and allow myself the calories for an evening snack. Find something you like that you can eat a lot of to fill those times when you're studying late or working late and are hungry. I have gotten into the cheaper veggies like cucumbers, broccoli, and carrots. I eat those with a measured amount of ranch dip. I can eat a lot of veggies and feel full!

Drink a ton of water and green tea. Avoid soda.

Take you supplements to help with the stresses of all you're doing right now. To each his own but I take fish oil, vitamin C, a food based multi, cinnamon, and Vitamin D. You by NO means have to take all these but maybe a multi and fish oil?

This is hard, it really is but take baby steps! The slower you do it the more likely it will stick. You will learn the habits for life rather than getting a quick fix.

Like I said, you have such a busy life right now so slowly work towards good health rather than all-or-none right now. Start small and as life eases a little you can get into harder workouts and a cleaner eating pattern!

All the best to you!!!!

Thank you. You really understand my situation :')

Initially I set for 1 lbs a week, and MFP gave me 1540 cal. I have calculate my average daily intake, it's 1791 cal. Now I set to1800 cal. My goal for now is to learn to stick with this cal plan.

I take omega-3 and vit C everyday.

I'm still to shy to exercise out door,so I think am gonna get Leslie Sansone video since it's the most less stressful one out there. Have tried 30 DS before, I can barely walk for almost 3 days.
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your height and weight measurements are about the same as mine when I joined back in January. I'm now 29lbs lighter. It is possible to do it, you just need to plan what you're doing. I go for main meal recipes that have not more than 500 calories a serving - there are loads out there. Then bulk out breakfast and lunch with low calorie fruit and veggies. Measure out what you are cooking - its easy to put in too much oil if you don't and portion size creeps up. You can have low calorie biscuits if you like as well. When I started I set myself a goal of going for a walk every lunch hour (I work part time and get half an hour). This helped get me in the swing of exercising. I also go swimming. You need to find an exercise you enjoy. And don't feel embarrassed as you won't be the largest person out there I'm sure. Having a break from your studies will help you feel less stressed. Its a form of boredom to feel you have to eat because you are studying - I find it easy to snack all day at work because I'm sitting down. I eat much less at home when I'm busy. Keep to whats achievable for you and take it steadily. Then you'll start to see results. It may not be that dramatic to start with but be patient and you'll eventually reach your goal.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I'd suggest eating nutrient dense foods and try replacement items (replacing high calorie items with low calorie ones in meals).

While logging is of great help, you still actually have to work at it too.

Exactly. That's where I found my diary to be helpful. I found that some things - like bread and rice and flour tortillas - had way more calories than I thought. So I started buying low carb ones for 50 calories instead of 200. Easy.

I like ice cream and chocolate. But my favorite ice cream was 140 calories per half cup (and I often ate a cup) and my favorite chocolate 35 calories a square (and I often ate 3). So I went to 1/4 cup of ice cream and one square of chocolate.

After I made those changes, it was much, much, much easier to stay on target. In fact, I struggle to hit my target calories many days.

Grad school is treacherous because you have all those long quiet hours staring at the computer screen writing and all those long hours reading. Eating at the computer screen is an awful habit. And when you get your academic job, you will spend the rest of your life doing that - it doesn't go away once you defend.

Try pots of tea (no calories). If you need sugar in it, go from two tsp to one and then keep refilling your teacup without adding sugar. Then find tea you LIKE without sugar.

Or have sugar in it first thing and then go to it straight.

Or drink water - it forces you out of the chair and to the bathroom.

Good luck!
  • str1ne
    str1ne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about using MFP is that you can eat anything if you also exercise, and earn extra calories. Try simply walking whenever you can and track the time and speed you do this. The total will equal more calories allowed to be consumed.

Second, you can look at alternatives that will satisfy but be better for you. If its tea you like, look at a fruit alternative that is low calorie, you'll get the sweetness that way. Instead of chocolate try nibbling on Kellogs Krave (3/4 cup is just 120 calories).

Thirdly if heading to class, try parking further away and walking or take the stairs whenever possible. Anytime you do something good for yourself you feel better. Every semester you have to make an adjusted schedule because of different class and study times. Try squeezing more activity in and it will become your normal routine.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't recognize a lot of the products you are eating as they aren't available here in the US but I notice your carbs are pretty high and protein is very low are you vegetarian? If so I suggest more beans and legumes they are more filling and tend to stick with you and fill you up. If not then up your meat portions and decrese your carbs. Try to eat whole grain carbs when possible use brown rice instead of white.

Also try to switch to lower calorie chocolate choices or eat only half of a portion if you just have to have it and save the rest for later. If you go to Starbucks request skim milk. If you cook with coconut milk use the lite version. You'd be surprised how many calories little changes will save you. you can also up your exercise by parking fartehr away form your classes and walking more, taking th steps etc. Start with little changes so you won;t be discouraged and once you have those down change a few more things.

You can do it!
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh and take a hard look at what you've logged. What were the weak moments? How can you avoid those in the future?
  • lauralogan2010
    lauralogan2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm sure we can all relate to where you are. I know it is hard for me to make the time to eat right and exercise and it sounds like I have a lot more free time than you! You can do this. I think you are on the right track by choosing vegetables- I would encourage you to continue finding foods that are high fiber since those will keep you full longer. As far as time vs. meal prep goes, maybe you could consider either starting out buying some smart ones or lean cuisine foods that are already prepared and have the calories counted for you, or you could set aside one evening per week to do some cooking and food prep. If you go ahead and prepare some meals ahead of time it will be super simple to reheat those each day. I'd also encourage you to either buy individually wrapped foods or take the time to separate snacks into baggies so you won't eat more than 1 portion at a time.

As far as exercise goes, I would agree with everyone else. If you find that you don't have time to go to the gym or get outside maybe try a workout DVD. You can purchase them for a relatively low price or rent them from your local library. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-WiQKi_W8) which is only 20 minutes per day.

Best wishes to you on your journey! God bless!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ill tell it as it is, we over eat and dont exercise we got fat, we eat less we exercise we loose it. no excuses its quite simple. sensible eating fruit veg lean meat cut out the sugar and crap foods .... sorted.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    THIS is why you "can't" do this. The attitude!! Get rid of the voice in your head telling you that you can't do it!! You CAN! it takes commitment and determination! It's HARD. 1500 calories is quite a bit. I eat 1200-1300 most days, and I eat plenty. I think with 1500 calories you can still have a little treat here and there. It isn't about deprivation... it isn't about cutting out all bad things.. it's about moderation and a life-time commitment :) You can do it!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Keep logging your calories every day and one day when your ready you'll have the knowledge to go at it full steam. Don't give up on MFG, there is so much to learn and 'learning is power'!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else said this already or not, but don't deprive yourself of anything. If someone told me I couldnt eat mexican food or chocolate ever again, I would cry, Just make sure to eat in moderation. Instead of having a snickers bar, have one of those snack size ones. That usually will fulfill the craving without ALL the cals. Also... if you want that plate of tacos (which I know I do), eat it. Just dont eat it every day. Or make sure you have a smaller lunch and breakfast to make up for your dinner. You'll eventually figure out what works best for you! Also, you can try some sites that have recipes for delicious food but made in a healthier way. Skinnytaste.com is a really good one.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lbigham1
    Options
    The one thing that I can tell you is that you're not alone. Adopting a healthy lifestyle (for most people) doesn't happen over night. Please don't give up. Just keep making small changes and before you know it, you will have adopted a whole new attitude towards food.

Surround yourself with MFP friends who are eating the way you want to eat. Use their diaries for ideas that you can incorporate in your diet.

God Bless and Good Luck!