Forced flu shot at work

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Geez people it's not like she is abusing her kids. She, along with thousands others, is making a choice for her children she feels is best.

Innocent infants have died and innocent pregnant women have had terrible late-term miscarriages because people don't vaccinate their kids. If you don't want to vaccinate your child, that's fine. Just keep them away from infants and pregnant women. You have a right to your own medical choices. You do not, however, have the right to cause fatal harm to others.
    10 infants were buried in Ca in '10 because of people like this woman.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I got sick from the shot this year, however, I have been getting a flu shot (mandatory when I was active duty Air Force) and this was the first time I felt ill afterwards. My Doctor said she noticed people over 40 getting a little ill this year. I am all for it even if I got sick this year, what I feel is nothing next to the full blown flu :)
  • nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What a great benefit! I saw a healthy 30 mother of two die from the flu, so I'm all for the shots.
    You could go work for a company who doesn't do this.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

you could get by with a religious conviction pretty easily.
    It's easy to twist words to justify what you want to do/ don't want to do.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options

You're not being a "guinea pig" by getting vaccines that have been proven time and time again to be safe and effective. A "guinea pig" would be trying a new vaccine that was in the research stages. Millions of people get vaccinated every year without incident.

Until they are 100% safe, and not one single person has an adverse reaction, or death due to a vaccine, I still won't trust them. Many of the people who have been injured or killed by vaccines probably thought they would not have any adverse affects. I choose not to take the risk to see if me or my kids will be in that number.

I hope you're not eating eggs, drinking milk, eat soy, eating nuts, etc. either then, because none of those things are 100% safe either. Also, don't take any anti-biotics, aspirin, tylenol, advil, cough medicine. Stay away from tea too.

Also, stay out of airports and hospitals. When your kid comes into contact with a person with measles, there won't be much you can do.

LOL I'm never in airports or hospitals. Seeing as how I don't travel, nor does anyone in our family ever get sick enough to go to the doctor, let alone a hospital. We don't eat soy. We don't take anti biotics. Most of my eggs come from MY chickens, and its rare I drink milk. The only tea I consume is medicinal herbal tea either for a tonic or a remedy. We don't do cough medicine, but damn straight I'm going to take something if have a headache.

Nothing is 100% safe, obviously, but surely common sense tells you (well, it does ME anyway), that some things are more dangerous than others. My job as a parent is to keep things that I feel are most dangerous away from my kids. Injecting a cocktail of chemicals *IMO* is worse than milk and eggs for breakfast.

Your children never hurt themselves either? Never had a splinter, a cut, a scrap?

No. Never in their life. My children are perfect.
  • naner61
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me that when a person voices an opinion that is not the same as their own, others seem to think it is okay to bash them. What ever happened to civilized conversation and sharing of ones convictions without the need to have to humiliate and belittle??
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

You're not being a "guinea pig" by getting vaccines that have been proven time and time again to be safe and effective. A "guinea pig" would be trying a new vaccine that was in the research stages. Millions of people get vaccinated every year without incident.

Until they are 100% safe, and not one single person has an adverse reaction, or death due to a vaccine, I still won't trust them. Many of the people who have been injured or killed by vaccines probably thought they would not have any adverse affects. I choose not to take the risk to see if me or my kids will be in that number.

No drug is 100% safe. Humans subject themselves to such different environments and have such diverse genetic makeups to make that possible.

If you take ANY prescription or over the counter drug or supplement, or any non-100% natural food, you're a hypocrite. And seriously, do you think your TATTOOS are 100% safe?
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Geez people it's not like she is abusing her kids. She, along with thousands others, is making a choice for her children she feels is best.

Innocent infants have died and innocent pregnant women have had terrible late-term miscarriages because people don't vaccinate their kids. If you don't want to vaccinate your child, that's fine. Just keep them away from infants and pregnant women. You have a right to your own medical choices. You do not, however, have the right to cause fatal harm to others.
    10 infants were buried in Ca in '10 because of people like this woman.

But it is HER choice. Look at it like survival of the fittest. ;) I don't know how strong the argument of her children putting others at risk is since most of us are vaccinated.
  • leilamarchi
    Options
    I would be fine with it. It's the same as jobs requesting Hep B vaccinations. This is for your safety and the safety of the patrons.

Now Hep B is a whole different situation. If you are working in Phlebotomy, Lab, Cardiac Care, Nephrology, GI (for liver), or any field of medicine where the liver is concerned, Hep B is vital. You dont get sick with a Hep B series as some experience with the Flu vaccination.

Even though I'm not a medical professional, nor do I know anything about the Hep B vaccine, I feel like I need to say:

NO WAY, the Hep B vaccine should NOT be mandatory, they can't tell me what to put in my body, I eat right and exercise, and I'VE never had Hep B so I'm not going to pass it on to my patients/residents/whatever.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I hope you're not eating eggs, drinking milk, eat soy, eating nuts, etc. either then, because none of those things are 100% safe either. Also, don't take any anti-biotics, aspirin, tylenol, advil, cough medicine. Stay away from tea too.

Also, stay out of airports and hospitals. When your kid comes into contact with a person with measles, there won't be much you can do.

LOL I'm never in airports or hospitals. Seeing as how I don't travel, nor does anyone in our family ever get sick enough to go to the doctor, let alone a hospital. We don't eat soy. We don't take anti biotics. Most of my eggs come from MY chickens, and its rare I drink milk. The only tea I consume is medicinal herbal tea either for a tonic or a remedy. We don't do cough medicine, but damn straight I'm going to take something if have a headache.

Nothing is 100% safe, obviously, but surely common sense tells you (well, it does ME anyway), that some things are more dangerous than others. My job as a parent is to keep things that I feel are most dangerous away from my kids. Injecting a cocktail of chemicals *IMO* is worse than milk and eggs for breakfast.

Your children never hurt themselves either? Never had a splinter, a cut, a scrap?

No. Never in their life. My children are perfect.

Just so you know, tetanus isn't a disease you catch from others. It survives in the ground and having those chickens around makes for a better environment for it. If your children ever get a scrape that is abrasive where the bacteria can get trap in there or a splinter that causes a puncture, your child is going to be in a alot of trouble. All the people who catch tetanus are those who are not vaccinated for it.
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    "It bothers me that drugs are the answer to everything. Why don't they enforce healthy eating and exercise. They would rather put donuts and pizza in the breakroom for everyone and then mandate a shot. It makes no sense to me!! "

First off, vaccines are not drugs. They stimulate your immune system so that it can react more quickly to a possible contagion. They, in combination with being healthy, help to prevent the illness. Simply eating health and exercising is not going to prevent those with suppressed immune systems (the old, the very young, and the ill) from getting an illness that may just inconvenience you, but could kill them. This is why they are asking it of their employees. As a side note, there are other professions that require vaccines as a safety precaution.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I would be fine with it. It's the same as jobs requesting Hep B vaccinations. This is for your safety and the safety of the patrons.

Now Hep B is a whole different situation. If you are working in Phlebotomy, Lab, Cardiac Care, Nephrology, GI (for liver), or any field of medicine where the liver is concerned, Hep B is vital. You dont get sick with a Hep B series as some experience with the Flu vaccination.

Even though I'm not a medical professional, nor do I know anything about the Hep B vaccine, I feel like I need to say:

NO WAY, the Hep B vaccine should NOT be mandatory, they can't tell me what to put in my body, I eat right and exercise, and I'VE never had Hep B so I'm not going to pass it on to my patients/residents/whatever.

Actually, you are confused about what your job can and cannot do. They can require vaccines. They can require that you dress a certain way. They can make requirements that you make think are your own personal choices. They are your personal choice. But, you chose to work for that company. That company can choose to fire you if you do not do what they say. Of course there are some limitations on this (i.e. freedom of religion), but it's not as clear cut as you seem to think.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Your kids have never been sick because you are relying on ALL the other children who DID get their MMRs and other vaccines not to infect them. As more people are taken in by fear mongering, anti-vaccine folderol, your children won't be protected by herd immunity - something they take advantage of, but contribute nothing to. And I say this as someone who *is* immunocompromised due to a kidney transplant and STILL gets their vaccines on schedule.

No, I'm relying on building their immune systems and teaching the proper hygiene. Being vaccinated, YOU will be carrying that virus/disease and YOU can spread it to my child from simply having the vaccine. If vaccines are so wonderful then why do vaccinated children STILL get things they are vaccinated for? Sorry, until it's 100% proven that vaccines are 100% safe and 100% effective at eliminating illness, me and my children won't get them. I'm not into being a guinea pig for the government and sick care system. That's just me though.

and you are a fool if you think that is what you are doing.

Polio has been eradicated in the US because of vaccinations. However, all it takes is a person getting on an airplane who is a carrier for polio from an area of the world that is NOT polio free to re-introduce it to your child. Hope you enjoy standing on your convictions then. Maybe you can fnd some other nutter to "pray the polio away"
    As far as being 100%. thats a non sequiter. Nothing in science will ever be 100%. thats not the way science works. Howvever there are mountains of evidence that show the positive effects of vaccinations.

you are simply allowing your children to hide in the "herd" of other children who have responsible parents. When irresponsibility becomes the majority (ie, what you are advocating) hiding will not be an option. measels, diptheria, polia, etc will once again become part of our population.

I do not understand how in this day and age p[eople can be as dumb as they are in the face of as much information as we have access to.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If they paid for it, nuetral

^^
    This

I get a flu shot every year per doctor's orders so I'm used to being told I have to :P To me it's not much different than forcing immunizations for kids to get into school..flu shot to get into work..seems like it's for everyone's protection including yours..so I'd be okay with it.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No way....not forcing me to do anything.Thats bogus,drug test is one thin.But force you to allow a person to inject you,no way not happening!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Getting the flu sucks balls, I would be cool with not getting the flu.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would refuse only because I've only had the flu once in my life and I think it had to do more with just having a baby and being worn down than it was the true flu. My immunity holds up on it's own and I don't want to put anything into it that doesn't need to be there.
  • skada682
    Options
    It's a hospital so I am sure they have levels of preventative care that everyone else does not have. If I worked at a hospital, I would be responsible and take the shot-on my own accord, not because I would get fired. It's wrong of them to present it that way. Forced drug injections of any kind bother me, even vaccinations in children. I prefer to make choices on my own.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden, it would be against my religion to get a flu shot.

This is my thoughts. My employers gives them for free but I refuse. My children did not get their shots and they did go to public school. There are ways around this.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Many hospitals are doing that...and so much more..we have one here that is going to start enforcing BMI ratings on all employees not sure what the ratings are yet but that's what I heard.
    whoaaa i guess this is the first step of government/work intervention in the obesity crisis!