What's your favorite soup recipe????

Options
Justacoffeenut
Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
We all have one maybe more. What's yours? Getting that time of year in my part of the world where soup is something I always love to have. But I get stuck in a rut. So would love new ideas and inspiration. Please share your favorite.

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Easy Broccoli Soup

Simmer chopped broccoli in chicken stock (just barely enough stock to cover). When tender, blend with immersion blender. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Add cheese and/or a touch of cream/milk if you like. Alternately, add in onions, cauliflower, carrots, and celery with the broccoli. Super delicious and super simple!

You can make a million soups with an immersion blender, it's probably my fave kitchen tool!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup, Camp Stew.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I love the "cabbage soup diet type" soup base recipe,but I add lots of spices. I do not recommend the lunacy of actually following the insane diet it is from, but as an appetizer or a side with normal food, it is yummy!

Cabbage - Raw, 0.5 head, large (about 7" dia)
    Great Value (Walmart) - Vegetable Juice Reduced Sodium,
    Carrots - Raw, 6 medium
    Celery - Raw, 6 stalk large (11"-12" long)
    Onions - Raw, 3 medium (2-1/2" dia)
    Hunt's - Crushed Tomatos (100% Natural)
    garlic
    oregano
    basil
    italian seasoning
    pepper
  • Rebeccawks
    Rebeccawks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the cabbage soup too! :) Glad I'm not the only weird one.

Another low cal soup that I thought was AWESOME is Dr. Oz's Carrot and Ginger soup. Sounds nasty but it is 70 cals a cup and made with some carrots, butternut squash, ginger and spices. Wonderful soup for this winter!
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love soup :) I have been addicted to Pho for sometime now. It is pretty high in sodium i believe. I wish this app would track sodium.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love soup :) I have been addicted to Pho for sometime now. It is pretty high in sodium i believe. I wish this app would track sodium.

You can track sodim just go into your settings then diet settings & change it
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I love chicken soup with lots of veggies ...... it's different each time ..... I brown up chicken thighs first, then drain off any fat ....... add various chopped vegetables, drained & rinsed beans, and low-sodium chicken broth ....... add herbs & spices to taste ...... cook stovetop or slowcooker ..... have with whole-wheat pasta or brown rice, cooked separately.

Yummo :drinker:
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm!! I love soup anytime of year! But I, like you, have started craving it with the cooler temps here in WV. :) Eating spicy pumpkin soup as we speak (at least that's what I call it - adapted a recipe from a friend). Also recently made (and loved) Dad's cauliflower soup from Skinnytaste.com. I have a hot and sour soup that's super yummy that I adapted from a weight watchers recipe. Hmm - I see a trend here - I can't make a recipe as is! LOL
  • KarenPopoff
    KarenPopoff Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like soup. Bump for later.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    All this sounds great. Those who have recipes or sites please share.
  • maremare312
    Options
    I also like to make egg drop soup, so easy! Really all you need is a good chicken broth and some egg, but it's also nice to thicken it a bit with a cornstarch slurry, and I love adding peas, chopped water chestnuts, mushrooms, green onion, and bits of chicken. I beat the egg(s) in a bowl with a little soy sauce and red pepper flakes, then at the very end bring to simmer and stir in the egg mixture.
  • maremare312
    Options
    I also like to make egg drop soup, so easy! Really all you need is a good chicken broth and some egg, but it's also nice to thicken it a bit with a cornstarch slurry, and I love adding peas, chopped water chestnuts, mushrooms, green onion, and bits of chicken. I beat the egg(s) in a bowl with a little soy sauce and red pepper flakes, then at the very end bring to simmer and stir in the egg mixture.
  • Catherinebee85
    Catherinebee85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Roast a load of red peppers, garlic, onions and butternut squash, blend with some veg stock and season. Add chilli flakes if you want. Beautiful!
  • chenoamac
    chenoamac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Caldo Verde (Portuguese Green Soup)

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour

"Portuguese sausage, and kale are nestled in a thick potato soup."
    Ingredients:
    4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 onion, minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 quarts cold water 6 ounces linguica sausage, thinly sliced
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    ground black pepper to taste
    1 pound kale, rinsed and julienned

Directions:
    1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has released most of its fat, 10 minutes. Drain.
    3. Mash potatoes or puree the potato mixture with a blender or food processor. Stir the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
    4. Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, 5 minutes, until kale is tender and jade green. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    200ml 4% milk
    200ml double cream
    200g 70% cocoa chocolate
    100g brown sugar

warm the milk and cream, mix in the sugar, melt the chocolate and blend in together

topped with hazelnut praline
    50g hazelnuts
    25g sugar
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would love to see that pumpkin soup recipe! I hope you can share!
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • StrongSandra
    StrongSandra Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Just wanted to let you know about these awesome brown rice pho noodles I found:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DXGN70/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AMBGWS4S1YVZ9
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, nothing to add, but I'm excited to try some of these!
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bumping for the broccoli recipe...yummo!