Dear "I don't associate with those who eat under 1200 c"...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of this but i don't believe in starvation mode and i don't belive that a low-calorie lifestyle is particulary bad for health if those cals are made up of nutrient dense food.

Hallelujah!!

You may not, and that's up to you to decide what to believe. But I've lived it, and I know first hand what it did to me.

Me, too--

sweet post, but at the end of the day, don't worry about strangers here. You'll find your niche if you stick around enough. Ignore the idiots and the idiot threads, and you can find a nice support network.

Starvation mode is something the masses wish to ignore....it's rather like faith. Because some haven't seen, they don't believe.

You know, whatever--

I've lived it, too-- it is horrible.

If you're inclined, you'll find a support network here....but don't give an ounce of worry to what idiots say.

Lol, oh, right, so you've ~seen~ for faith? That's an awful analogy, because starvation mode, fitness, and diet are based on science, ever evolving, and have tons of research.

Faith is the people who have no basis for comparison and just decide, "Well, 1000 calories just works for me. There's not really evidence because I haven't been at it long term, and I'm on this site for a reason, but, well... I have faith that it works."

See the difference?

Actually, it's an excellent analogy.....you just obviously didn't understand.

By "faith" I mean those who have faith in God. (*gasp!!!* She said God.) There were people in the days after Christ's death who refused to believe he had risen. Some believed by faith, based on the testimony of those who had seen Him.

There are some who refuse to believe in "starvation mode," despite the testimony of those of us here who have truly experienced it. It isn't something that happens overnight. For me, it was an 18 month sustained period of deprivation. I was totally gung ho and obsessed with numbers on scale...cutting out all sugar, all fat...living on 1200 calories of fruits, rice cakes, peanut butter and plain greek yogurt. I never ate back any exercise calories. I'd lost 50 pounds, and overnight nearly all of it went back on when my body finally cried uncle, and my metabolism, not to mention my thyroid was fried.

My body went on full alert, and began to feed on the muscle and store everything else as fat. On 1200 calories, training for a half marathon, and doing Insanity and P90X, my body put back on nearly all of my weight.

Don't believe it? I couldn't care less. Personally, I'm not like Banks-- the sweet guy who posted the starvation mode thread mentioned above....I don't have a burden to save every knucklehead from herself on this site. I learned my lesson and shared my lesson for quite some time. I've done my duty.

Don't believe it? shrug.gif No skin off my apple.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of this but i don't believe in starvation mode and i don't belive that a low-calorie lifestyle is particulary bad for health if those cals are made up of nutrient dense food.

Hallelujah!!

You may not, and that's up to you to decide what to believe. But I've lived it, and I know first hand what it did to me.

Me, too--

sweet post, but at the end of the day, don't worry about strangers here. You'll find your niche if you stick around enough. Ignore the idiots and the idiot threads, and you can find a nice support network.

Starvation mode is something the masses wish to ignore....it's rather like faith. Because some haven't seen, they don't believe.

You know, whatever--

If you're inclined, you'll find a support network here....but don't give an ounce of worry to what idiots say.

Lol, oh, right, so you've ~seen~ for faith? That's an awful analogy, because starvation mode, fitness, and diet are based on science, ever evolving, and have tons of research.

Faith is the people who have no basis for comparison and just decide, "Well, 1000 calories just works for me. There's not really evidence because I haven't been at it long term, and I'm on this site for a reason, but, well... I have faith that it works."

See the difference?

By "faith" I mean those who have faith in God. (*gasp!!!* She said God.) There were people in the days after Christ's death who refused to believe he had risen. Some believed by faith, based on the testimony of those who had seen Him.

There are some who refuse to believe in "starvation mode," despite the testimony of those of us here who have truly experienced it. It isn't something that happens overnight. For me, it was an 18 month sustained period of deprivation. I was totally gung ho and obsessed with numbers on scale...cutting out all sugar, all fat...living on 1200 calories of fruits, rice cakes, peanut butter and plain greek yogurt. I never ate back any exercise calories. I'd lost 50 pounds, and overnight nearly all of it went back on when my body finally cried uncle, and my metabolism, not to mention my thyroid was fried.

My body went on full alert, and began to feed on the muscle and store everything else as fat. On 1200 calories, training for a half marathon, and doing Insanity and P90X, my body put back on nearly all of my weight.

Don't believe it? I couldn't care less. Personally, I'm not like Banks-- the sweet guy who posted the starvation mode thread mentioned above....I don't have a burden to save every knucklehead from herself on this site. I learned my lesson and shared my lesson for quite some time. I've done my duty.

Well, you clearly misinterpreted my post. I said people not believing in starvation mode are people who don't believe in science ;) Does that sound even more familiar to you?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Hallelujah!!

Me, too--

You know, whatever--

See the difference?

Well, you clearly misinterpreted my post. I said people not believing in starvation mode are people who don't believe in science ;) Does that sound even more familiar to you?

haha-- well, one of us is obviously a dumb blonde who is misunderstanding.....

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

wonder who???
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with people who set up requirements for friendship. It's their choice of who they want their supporters to be.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

This!

I don’t believe in starvation mode either. Numerous studies such as this one have shown that it takes a long time to get to that point:
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Now there's the thing. I've no idea how long it would take a person to enter 'Starvation Mode' or whatever one prefers to call it but I've been dealing with the after effects of this surgery and the underfeeding issue for 16 yrs. I think it's a pretty safe bet to assume that that's probably long enough :).
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This topic is near and dear to my heart. I didn't open my diary for the longest time because of this until I realized that I am doing what is right FOR ME.
    I make it very clear in my "About Me" that I am on a medically supervised calorie restricted diet. This is the plan that the doctor put together for me. I am monitored by a doctor who will scold me if I am doing wrong and I am constantly tested to see how I am doing. If you want to judge me and my doctors, that is fine, go ahead, but I'm afraid I will continue to do what the man with the PHd says. For those that say I need to find a new doctor, the program I am is hospital run, and I can see a number of doctors (and have when my doctor is not available) who tells me the same thing.

For those who judge, I respect your right to chose what is right for you, please respect mine.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    A very good post--thank you.

You make an excellent case against the "all calories are alike," just exercise and restrict calories to create a deficit and you'll lose weight. For many of us, that just doesn't work.

I took the liberty of looking at your diary, since it was open. You seem to be following the conventional diet of high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-protein, with plenty of grains and fruit. Does your medical condition/surgery make it difficult for you to eat foods with more fat and protein? If not, you might have better luck with a higher-fat, moderate-protein, reduced-carbohydrate diet, particularly cutting out sugar and grains. You would then be able to get a higher caloric and nutrient density in the limited space you have. Fat doesn't make you fat, nor does it cause heart disease; and reasonable amounts of protein won't ruin normal, healthy kidneys.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my food diary, I appreciate all the help I can get :). No, my surgery doesn't impact the types of foods I can eat, just the amount. Basically the upper portion of my stomach (the part that has the greatest ability to expand with added intake) was wrapped around the bottom of my esophagus to create a sphincter to prevent continuous acid reflux. So my stomach no longer has that capability. Wish I had the knowledge back then that I do now. But thankfully, you can teach an old dog new tricks :). My number are set they way they are simply because I don't know enough about that sort of thing yet to adjust them any differently. Carbs are definitely my downfall. And protein intake is something I struggle with. I've been steadily trying to up that amount this past week.

My friend had that surgery. I agree with this person though - see what you can do to change what you eat, to increase cals. For example, lean meat has fewer calories per ounce than a fattier cut of meat (ribeye steak!) so if you can only eat 3 ounces at a time you can choose that fattier cut.

(insert screams from people about saturated fat here)
    (insert tons of retorts about lack of evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease)
    (move on with thread, mention fatty fish as well)

Also adding things like olive oil and nut butter to your normal food - if you make pasta do olive oil and cheese instead of vegetable/tomato sauce.

Also - look for higher calorie replacement foods, drink 2% or whole milk instead of nonfat, etc.

My friend has a "problem" where he just gets full very easily so he does a lot of stuff like this (drinks a lot of whole milk, etc).

Eating that low of calories is, for MOST people's activity levels and size, not really enough food to support a happy and healthy lifestyle. RAther than risk metabolic slowing, you can try to increase your calories in ways that do not increase your food volume. It is certainly possible to live a (lower activity) lifestyle on low cals (presuming you are on the smaller side) and be healthy, but don't feel like you HAVE to limit yourself that way.
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    I'm currently in recovery from having an eating disorder, and as you can see I struggle to get over 1200 calories a day. Not because I'm purposely starving myself, but because my stomach has shrunken to the point I don't feel hungry, nor do I ever feel full. So I have to judge by the clock when to eat, and how much to eat. I've had A TON of hateful messages from people on here telling me I'm 'destroying'' my body, but everyday is a battle for me to even eat, I'm very careful with who I accept on MFP, nobody seems to care if they trigger you with their hateful words. It's a constantly battle and I'm having to remind myself at least 20x a day that ''food is fuel'' and that it's essential for me to have.
  • x_JT_x
    Options
    I think some people are misunderstanding my post. Maybe this will clarify: It is not that I want or need a friend request from those that post such requirements either in threads or on their profile page. As many have said, one has the right to befriend (or not) whomever one wishes, as they should. What it is that I found objectionable was the need for those with that mindset to denounce others publicly and straightaway without knowing anything about the person. I was attempting to suggest that there may very well be a valid reason for someone to have a caloric intake of 1200 calories or less.
  • bluedecor
    Options

Pro ED???

not getting enough cals can be detrimental even if you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. For one it is very difficult to get enough fat and protein on an extremely low caloric intake (<1000), and not getting enough of these 2 can have serious side effects.

Pro Ed- Good greif no. I can only talk about my experience - I'm petite- 5ft0 and small framed. I don't think you can have a blanket figure for every body shape/ type/ weight/ gender. I prefer to listen to my body- if I'm hungry (whatever time it may be) I'll eat, and try to ensure that something i eat is healthy (e.g. celery sticks and nut butter, cubed porkloin steak, big bowl of berries etc.). I'd never force myself to eat if I wasn't hungry just to meet a target. That way if i do want something unhealthy now and again its okay- I won't beat myself up over it.

I'm short - 5 feet and a smidgen - and now that I'm eating clean it's hard to get to 1500 calories a day. If I'm feeling good, I'm not going to force myself to eat just to meet a target. I'm doing a little walking and lifting again and it feels great. If I feel like I did when I was a slim person, then that's something I can do for the rest of my life. I'm not concerned about not eating enough at this stage. I've been off MFP for several months and I've just been back for a week. I don't think my metabolism is currently screwed up from too extreme calorie restriction. I will entertain differing points of view, but I do expect that my progress over the next 6 months will be excellent.
  • x_JT_x
    Options
    A very good post--thank you.

You make an excellent case against the "all calories are alike," just exercise and restrict calories to create a deficit and you'll lose weight. For many of us, that just doesn't work.

I took the liberty of looking at your diary, since it was open. You seem to be following the conventional diet of high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-protein, with plenty of grains and fruit. Does your medical condition/surgery make it difficult for you to eat foods with more fat and protein? If not, you might have better luck with a higher-fat, moderate-protein, reduced-carbohydrate diet, particularly cutting out sugar and grains. You would then be able to get a higher caloric and nutrient density in the limited space you have. Fat doesn't make you fat, nor does it cause heart disease; and reasonable amounts of protein won't ruin normal, healthy kidneys.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my food diary, I appreciate all the help I can get :). No, my surgery doesn't impact the types of foods I can eat, just the amount. Basically the upper portion of my stomach (the part that has the greatest ability to expand with added intake) was wrapped around the bottom of my esophagus to create a sphincter to prevent continuous acid reflux. So my stomach no longer has that capability. Wish I had the knowledge back then that I do now. But thankfully, you can teach an old dog new tricks :). My number are set they way they are simply because I don't know enough about that sort of thing yet to adjust them any differently. Carbs are definitely my downfall. And protein intake is something I struggle with. I've been steadily trying to up that amount this past week.

My friend had that surgery. I agree with this person though - see what you can do to change what you eat, to increase cals. For example, lean meat has fewer calories per ounce than a fattier cut of meat (ribeye steak!) so if you can only eat 3 ounces at a time you can choose that fattier cut.

(insert screams from people about saturated fat here)
    (insert tons of retorts about lack of evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease)
    (move on with thread, mention fatty fish as well)

Also adding things like olive oil and nut butter to your normal food - if you make pasta do olive oil and cheese instead of vegetable/tomato sauce.

Also - look for higher calorie replacement foods, drink 2% or whole milk instead of nonfat, etc.

My friend has a "problem" where he just gets full very easily so he does a lot of stuff like this (drinks a lot of whole milk, etc).

Eating that low of calories is, for MOST people's activity levels and size, not really enough food to support a happy and healthy lifestyle. RAther than risk metabolic slowing, you can try to increase your calories in ways that do not increase your food volume. It is certainly possible to live a (lower activity) lifestyle on low cals (presuming you are on the smaller side) and be healthy, but don't feel like you HAVE to limit yourself that way.

Thanks for your post, Tameko. I am doing just that. Sadly, until I came here and read some of these posts from the last couple of weeks, I didn't realize that this was my problem. I couldn't understand why, when I am only able to consume a finite amount of food, was I still overweight. It all makes total sense to me now. And I have been making a concerted effort the last few days to change things around and rectify the issue. It's just going to take a bit of time for me to get it all straight.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Funny, I've been on MFP for nearly 3 weeks and though I've had several friend requests, not one has adversely affected MY goals. I used to be a moderator on another fitness site for about 10 years (that started 13 years ago) and I learned that unless someone comes out and asks, I rarely comment about what they are doing because it will just fall on deaf ears anyway = not worth my time and effort.

Even though I've been a competitive bodybuilder (on local level) and fitness, swimwear, commercial model AND certified fitness professional for a few years before I let the certification lapse in '06 I am learning something new all the time. I DON'T know "everything", but I know enough about basics regarding physiology and nutrition to know when something is NOT right.

One of the phrases I see often that make me shake my head is, "If it makes you happy then do it." Another favorite is, "You have to do what works for you." when this "supportive" advice is directed at someone who is eating well below caloric intake that wouldn't be enough to keep a bird alive while they are daily engaging in strenuous, catabolic aerobic exercise. Well duh, of course you are going to LOSE MASS... I want to shake both the people who are engaging in the behavior as well as the ignorant people who are making the "supportive" comments. I say ignorant because I recognize that they are well-meaning and THINK they are being supportive. Sadly, what they are unwittingly doing is encouraging negative and counter-productive behavior.

I, too, had surgery in '02 just weeks before I was to do (what would be) my last competition. I was in AMAZING physical shape but had GI issues that were killing me. I was in agony even though the docs couldn't understand why. Even though I was a perfect physical specimen with an UBER clean diet, no drinking, smoking or drugs I had the GI tract of an obese, sedentary, senior alcoholic smoker. My LES valve malfunctioned, I had a hiatal hernia from carrying four babies and my stomach manufactured too much acid. To this day people assume I've been a life-long smoker because of my low, raspy voice... I've had GI issues since I was old enough to remember (genetic predisposition affects the women on my mother's side of the family). So they performed a surgery to fix the hernia and artificially tighten the opening between my stomach and esophagus and said I would have to take proton pump inhibitors for the rest of my life. This surgery also reduced the size of my stomach by one third. Long story short, the surgery made my life worse as the lower half of my GI tract was then affected. So I couldn't eat a lot and what I did eat left my system sometimes within 20 minutes after I ate it. Every now and then I become so sick, in fact, that I suffer unbearable pain and become so dehydrated within 2 hours' time that I run the risk of stroking out. Happened to me this past May. Doc said if I didn't get to the ER when I did and wasn't in such good cardiovascular shape, I would have most likely died.

So for me pursuing better health, fitness and wellness isn't a fad. It's critical if I want to hang around.

I also know how hard it is to literally eat enough food, especially when eating super clean. I also forget to eat often times because I am just not hungry. So I have to pay VERY close attention to what I am doing or I wont have enough strength speed-walk to and from the gym which is a mile away (more than enough cardio for me) and throw up 50# dumbbells for 7 unassisted reps (chest press)... hehehehe

My advice after this long rambling post is, "Don't take anyone personally and focus your energy on your success."

Anyone who thinks that they are "getting healthier" while performing tons of high intensity cardio while consuming very few calories (especially when not even taking into account the source of those calories or the macro breakdown) or embarking on some crazy fad diet (which are NEVER sustainable) is just kidding themselves.

But hey, WTH do I know? :flowerforyou:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't have time to look at anyone's diary anyway, so I wouldn't even know what my friends are eating. I eat a LOT more than 1200 though, so I guess the self-deprivation folks would be grossed out by me.
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calorie diet. This is because i am only 5'2 and have a desk job. Although i do eat back some of my exercise calories and like someone else said i stick to that that to compensate for any misjudged calories. I dont find myself overly hungry from this and do eat a little more on weekends. Diaries open if any one wants to take a look.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I won't take people that eat 1200 or less because I would not be a very good support.

I believe it has long term negative side effects. Do what ever you want and I will do whatever I want. It is not because we are not a good match that it make me a bad person.

this
    I don't want to be friend with someone who eat less, because every time I'll check their diary instead of "wtg" I will have to say," honey, please eat more"

plus it's my friend list and I get to chose who is on it. I don't want to be friends with low cal dieters, cardio bunnys, or women collectors. just not my pair of socks
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't have time to look at anyone's diary anyway, so I wouldn't even know what my friends are eating. I eat a LOT more than 1200 though, so I guess the self-deprivation folks would be grossed out by me.

I looked at your diary and I was hardly grossed out. LOL I wish I could eat as much as you do. A surgery I had in '02 makes that extremely difficult. From what I've seen, you eat quite well. :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 or less for months and am now healthier than I've ever been. I eat more now b/c my goals are different now. It's about fitness and my fitness levels have greatly increased. I eat now to feed my workouts and still lose. I had to get the weight off so I could really workout. F all that noise. Do what works for you. People are narrow minded idiots.