What's your favorite soup recipe????

Options

Replies

• Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    My favorite soup is Carrabba's Mama Siclion's Spicy Chicken Soup!:love:

Sounded good. googled it and found this http://www.food.com/recipe/mama-mandolas-spicy-sicilian-chicken-soup-204722
    [/quote]

Thanks for looking but this recipe doesn't have any 'spice' other than seasoning. I want 'spicy' chicken. haha. Thanks again though x
    [/quote]

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/228/Carrabbas-Mama-Mandolas-Chic91044.shtml This one has a comment from someone who works there with insider tips.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Sounded good. googled it and found this http://www.food.com/recipe/mama-mandolas-spicy-sicilian-chicken-soup-204722

Thanks for looking but this recipe doesn't have any 'spice' other than seasoning. I want 'spicy' chicken. haha. Thanks again though x

Just goggled it myself and found the same - maybe could just add some chilli powder or cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options

[/quote

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/228/Carrabbas-Mama-Mandolas-Chic91044.shtml This one has a comment from someone who works there with insider tips.
    [/quote]

Cool - I think I will definitely have to try this. thanks so much. x
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been making tomato soup with all the fresh tomatoes I've been getting from my food co-op. I used this recipe as a base...it's delicious: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garden-fresh-tomato-soup/

I just use an immersion blender instead of a food mill and I don't discard the "leftovers"...
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    My favorite soup recipe would get me banned from a healthy living forum like this. It will put your nutrition plan in the ditch faster than a bacon & doughnut sandwich. :laugh:

:laugh: This is one of mine like that.

Houlihan’s Baked Potato Soup
    prep time:
    45 minutes
    cook time:
    30 minutes
    total time:
    1 1/4 hour

Makes 4 servings
    ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
    1/4 pound butter
    2 cups yellow onion, diced’
    1/3 cup flour
    5 cups water
    1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
    1 cup instant potato flakes
    3/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup milk
    salt and white pepper to taste
    4 strips of bacon, diced
    grated cheddar cheese (optional)
    sliced scallions (optional)
    directions
    1 Preheat oven to 400 degree. Prick washed potatoes and bake until tender all the way through and allow to fully cool. Remove skin and cut into 1/2-1 inch cubes and set aside.
    2 Melt butter in a large saucepan and add onions. Saute over low heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent, but being careful not to let them burn. Add flour a cook for 4 minutes, stirring until well absorbed.
    3 In a separate bowl, combine water, stock, potato flakes and seasonings. Whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps. Slowly add to the onions while stirring constantly. Increase to medium heat and continue cooking until the soup begins to simmer. Add milk and cream and stir until slightly thickened.
    4 Simmer for 15 minutes, but do not bring to a boil. Add potatoes and bacon and remove from heat. Top each serving with cheese and scallion.

Source: Houlihan’s Restaurant & Bar
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Olive-Garden-Pasta-e-Fagioli-Recipe.html

I don't use the pasta. And try to use low sodium and fresh as much as I can.
  • minuet42
    Options
    There was a recipe for Cranberry Bean Pasta Fagoli in...Food Network magazine? I think...a few years back - it's one of my favorites. I also have a Smoked Split Pea with Greens recipe that I ADORE (link to that one is below), but this week I'm eating an adapted version of the French Women Don't Get Fat Green Soup, which is leeks, broccoli, watercress, zucchini, some vegetable/chicken stock, pureed with a little milk to make it creamy, then handfuls of whatever fresh herbs you want. A-MAH-zing. It makes a ton, it's super low calorie, and it's oh so very tasty.

Hooray for fall and soup season!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Split-Pea-Soup-with-Smoked-Sausage-and-Greens-360533
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Spinach and rice soup, with greek yogurt topping. Yum.
  • fancyacuppa
    fancyacuppa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump - and I'll find my recipe for Thai tom yum
  • roman109
    Options
    bUMP
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options

What is this and do you have a recipe please? the idea of spicy chicken is enough for me - the hotter the better.

does anyone know how to make an authentic 'Chinese Hot & Sour' soup please?

x

I've used a Hot & Sour soup recipe by Tyler Florence that was really good. I never manage to save it so I just do an internet search for it each time.

Last night I made a Creamy Fresh Tomato Basil soup. I think it was Ina Garten's recipe. That was awesome too.

We also love butternut squash soup, and vegetarian wheat berry chili.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The best recipe is no recipe at all. I make tons of soup all winter long. I use left over vegetables or pasta or rice, make a stock with leftover meat or bones, etc., throw in a can of tomatoes or some beans, etc. Whatever I have on hand or that needs to be used up. No soup need be the same and that makes it fun.Crock it, slow cook it, you name it. I'll make pho some nights too, but its never the same twice. I learned to make soup as a kid when we made "Stone Soup" one day.

However....there are some soup recipes I do enjoy. Peanut Soup (Williamsburg recipe) is quite tasty. Also I love the Cream of Artichoke soup from "The Vegitarian Epicure".

Also, nothing beats a grilled cheese with some Campbell's tomato soup in the cold winter months.
  • JoyBouter
    JoyBouter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Bump! I could go for some soup right now (even though it's 95 degrees here in Minneapolis)! :smile:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Vegan Pea Soup: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/vegetarian-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
    2 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
    5 cups water
    juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve the zest)

a few pinches of smoked paprika
    more olive oil to drizzle

(I usually add a few more veggies though and throw it all in the crockpot.)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    This one uses alot of canned vegetables, but it's good if you're searching for something to use those veggies for. Make sure you rinse the veggies. It doesn't say drain the veggies, though, so many sure you add back at least a half a can of water. This will reduce the added salt (unless you buy "no salt added" veggies, then you should be ok to just dump the cans in). We usually use Rotel or something similar instead of using stewed tomatoes. The beauty of this recipe is it's versatility. I've also used taco seasoning when browning the meat.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cowboy-stew-ii/detail.aspx

Cowboy Stew

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
    1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
    2 (15.25 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
    2 (15 ounce) cans whole green beans
    1 (15.5 ounce) can canned red beans, drained and rinsed
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease.

In a stock pot or Dutch oven, combine the ground beef, tomatoes, corn, green beans, red beans, and onion. Season with oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for at least 50 minutes over medium to low heat. The longer it cooks, the better it gets!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My favourite is called Fall Harvest Soup:

2 Tbsp vegan marg. or oil
    1 Large onion, chopped
    2 Large leeks (white part only), chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 Large potato, peeled & diced
    1 Cup chopped celery
    1 Cup chopped carrots
    1 Medium butternut squash, peeled & diced
    1 Large tart apple, peeled & diced
    5 Cups of vegetable stock
    1 Tsp thyme
    1/2 Tsp ground allspice
    1/4 Tsp nutmeg
    salt & pepper

Saute onion, leeks and garlic in marg. or oil in large pot over medium heat until soft. Add potato, carrots, celery squash, apple and stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add seasonings.

Puree mixture until smooth in blender or food processor. Return to pot and heat well, but do not boil.

Serve piping hot, garnished with minced chives or green onions.

Yield: 6-8 servings

looks like baby food, tastes like heaven
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I love my aunt's recipe of carrot soup. I don't have it on me at the moment but anyone who wants it, PM me and I'll be more than glad to share.

I also love making asian type soups. My favorite is not the healthiest, but jook. It's a rice soup that you make with the carcass of chicken or turkey. There's also the lighter brothier soups that include lots of veggies and lotus root!

this winter, i'm dying to try to make chicken noodle soup for the first time, and maybe attempt Munudo.