Anyone else argue with the negative voice in their head?

Options
Every. Single. Day.
"You might as well give up you're never going to make it"
"Don't go to the gym"
"Eat it. Go on"
Please tell me I'm not the only one lol. I'm not crazy right?!

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    All the time... I tell it to shut up, I argue, I ignore, I talk back, I drown it out...

Perfectly abnormal!
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Your definitely not! I do it all the time! Even when i dont want to workout sometimes i get the opposite and get the motivater in my head, telling me to get my @$$ up and do it. Try to listen to that one more then the bad one lol
  • ELENA_Z
    ELENA_Z Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yes i do to.. its like having multiple personalities and not being able to shut them up.. lol..
  • cool_caz
    cool_caz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    all the bloody time! it's getting boring really :smile: The funny thing is that even WHILE I'm doing something my voice is telling me I can't. How do I shut it up??!!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I handle them like trolls.. I take their logic and beat them silly with it. ;)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    -raises hand- me!

It's great to argue with them! Challenge the negative voice. Even if you don't believe your challenges/positive come backs.... it will give you more power. If you just let the negative thoughts win each time, it's not good for you <3 Once you start talking back, it's easier to create new habits and have a more optimistic mindset! :)

Stay strong.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yep. I send her to her room like a child.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    All the time! lol. I am happy to hear I am not alone in this!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Trick is to recognize when you are being negative... it's so naturally ingrained for some of us. Then reason with yourself and replace it with something positive.

Social situations can really bring out the negativity for me. I have to focus on positive self-talk any time I'm going to interact with others. It does seem to help a great deal..
  • LiveLoveLaughGiggle
    Options
    I argue all of the time with that negative voice in my head. I just have to kick myself sometimes for believing what it says, but I know that I have the victory when it is all said and done.
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not mad at all. I'll not go into the psychology of this, but you can gradually retrain you're brain by adding a second encouraging voice. one way, to do so is to tell yourself you deserve this and tell yourself you will succeed.

You can give the different voices names that reflect the personalities - make the names up yourself. This makes it easier to recognise them. Then when you hear the negative voice imagine your on a stage and the voice is on the mike. Then imagine one of those stick things pulling them off the stage, and give the mike to your encouraging voice instead. Sounds weird but it is called multimind theory and works for loads of people.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've heard the term "automatic negative thoughts" used for this phenomenon. I think the trick is to practice being aware of it happening and cutting it off when it does, then reinforce with positive.

Sounds easy, huh?

It's not.
  • lumyrainstar
    Options
    you're definitely not the only one. Mine is like "it's just _____ insert high calorie horrible food here " But you just have to keep fighting the good fight.
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yep. I send her to her room like a child.

^^^^^^This
    Or I'll go and do just what "she" said I couldnt!
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I used to argue with the negative voices A LOT during my workouts. Over the past 3 months, it's gotten easier. I also noticed it got very much easier to ignore once I started seeing the results of my hard work (after 6 weeks into it).
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    At least you only have one voice...
  • JMull1977
    Options
    My voices go around and around so much inside my head that I count all that activity towards my exercise and calories burned.
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OH hell yes!! Every day - over EVERYTHING!! How fat I look, how much of a loser I am for what ever reason at the time, that I'm a crap mum, that I'm lazy - EVERYTHING! I am always battling to ignore it... but I have had it for as long as I can remember! My hubby tells me to stop being negative but it isn't like I stand there and try and tell myself all this stuff - it is just always there... :-( Sux big time!!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yesterday during my sprint session when the bad little voice was saying "You're hurting, time to stop. Feel that hammy twinging with every step? Stop now."
    aaaand today when I was about to do my last set of dumbbell rows when I thought "Why do this last set, it won't make any difference"

both countered with:
    THIS ISN'T MEANT TO BE EASY! WHY GIVE UP NOW! Puuuush through!

:)
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I handle them like trolls.. I take their logic and beat them silly with it. ;)

This gave me the giggles big time!! :-D