Is there a different milk for me out there??

Options
BarbaraC47
BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
I've never been able to drink cows milk - bad experience as a 5yr old - and can only take it as rice pudding or custard. I'd love to try a milk but am worried about the thick/clingy texture of cows milk and also not sure about it being white...

Any ideas to help please? No therapy suggestions please, I've tried 'em all!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's lots of non-dairy alternatives made from soy, rice, almonds, even hazelnut! Try a variety and see which you like the taste of best.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened flax milk is a very mild flavor and thin texture.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I hate the consistency of cow's milk and the way it 'coats' the inside of your mouth. I now have soya milk (the light version) and it's much thinner and more of a creamy colour than white. It's a bit sweeter than ordinary milk. I've heard good things about almond milk too, although I haven't tried it myself yet.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Milk-Unsweetened Vanilla.....40 calories for a whole cup, and it's sooo good!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    try almond milk or coconut milk.

soy is worthless.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is what I drink. I actually like the taste a lot better than cow's milk and it doesn't upset my stomach!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Coconut, Goat, Soy, Rice, Hemp, Almond... There's so many out there, it's not even funny.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is lovely. Alpro do one sold in most supermarkets with the regular milk.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Almond and hazelnut milk are excellent (go for the full-calorie ones with as few ingredients as possible - you want nuts, water and maybe a little salt or sugar). They're more of a creamy-golden colour, slightly thicker than cow's milk and don't coat your mouth or have that sour aftertaste.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I too fall in camp hazelnut, almond, coconut.. cows milk gives me tummy ache.. i do like goats milk now and again and have no problems with it
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Soy milk for about a year now. I use it in almost everything (except coffee.. I still use real creamer for that).
    And one think I LOVE about the Soy milk or the rice milk is that if it is on sale, I can stock up. Because it is kepy warm (until opened), I can store it without it going bad.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I drink Alpro soya milk all the time. It comes in unsweetened and low-fat forms and in new flavours like hazelnut, almond and vanilla. There's also Provamel soya milk and rice milk. If you want it in tea and coffee, avoid the sweetened types which make the coffee curdle.:happy:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have a dairy allergy and I've tried all the alternatives, and I :heart: almond milk! They have unflavored, vanilla, and chocolate, so you can even use it in cooking. That being said - try all alternatives and pick the one that you like the best.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to drink milk? If you can eat cheese and youghurt you can get the calcium, and you really don't need the fresh milk for your health.

You have had awesome suggestions, but if you say why it's important to drink milk, you may get more.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options

soy is worthless.

Why is soy worthless?
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cow's milk; you won't like coconut milk b/c it is VERY white and thick

I really like almond milk, I buy Silk unsweetened (30 calories/8 oz); there are a lot of alternatives out there for you to try. I tried soy milk for a few years (it is an acquired taste but it was all that was available at the time); rice didn't sit well with me.

Try a few and see what works for you.

TIP: So Delicious almond milk has a lot of residue even after shaking....
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drink any 'milk' at all.
  • Khymera
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk is my crack. It's tasty, low-cal, contains good fat and actually has more calcium than dairy milk.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is so good. 35 calories per cup and a great flavor. I HATE cows milk and soy, but love almond. Its personal prefrence...
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options

soy is worthless.

These are my favs as well. In fact, there is an almond coconut blend that is perfect (for me).